Do you get put down for playing/liking games??

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 10:47 am

Had a rough depressing year so haven't felt like gaming. Family fluctuates from evening time/Daytona 500/Xmas go relax play a game! to! OMG ALL YOU DO IS PLAY POKEMON ALL DAY!! !!/GAMES ALL DAY! (which isn't true)

So I feel bad for just turning on a game and giving one another shot afraid OMG! all she does is play games all day! :-(

Want to get back in *insert game* but feel bad doing so! :-(

What do you do with this issue????

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:24 am

I probably have but I honestly don't care and can't really remember that much. If the only complaint people have about me is I play games all day then I am having a good day in terms of social interaction. If you enjoy it, do it. People watch movies and that takes the same amount of time. I love it when my dad tells me he would play games but he doesn't have time and then turns around and watches a three hour movie. Everyone waste time on some level of entertainment and it really doesn't matter what that something is.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 7:30 pm

As long as your games aren't getting in the way of any responsibilities you might have, ignore them.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 9:49 pm

I've heard a couple of "why would a girl play video games" and "isn't that for kids?", but I couldn't care less. I love playing games, so I will continue to play video games.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 10:28 am

^Well said, Squirtlegirl! :)

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 11:33 am

Unless your hobbies are drinking and watching sports most people will deem you weird and judge you for your hobbies

I like history video games, gun and shaving. I'm judged weird for all.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 11:35 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I've heard a couple of "why would a girl play video games" and "isn't that for kids?", but I couldn't care less. I love playing games, so I will continue to play video games.

Last I saw women were like 50% of total gamers

Yeah the kids thing not helped much by Nintendo gearing itself towards kids. Battlefield, skyrim, gta,cod etc are hardly games for kids. Most games are violent story driven entertainment. They'll like enteractive movies. I'll take that over sports and beer any day

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 2:09 pm

sly279 wrote:
Unless your hobbies are drinking and watching sports most people will deem you weird and judge you for your hobbies

I like history video games, gun and shaving. I'm judged weird for all.

Same for t.v. Talking about Dexter a show about a serial killer who kills other killers OH! SERIOUS ADULT SHOW! MLP OMG! That's for kids!! !! Purple princess Twilight Sparkle OMG! you said purple princess! That's a show for kids!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:31 am

sly279 wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

Last I saw women were like 50% of total gamers

Yeah the kids thing not helped much by Nintendo gearing itself towards kids. Battlefield, skyrim, gta,cod etc are hardly games for kids. Most games are violent story driven entertainment. They'll like enteractive movies. I'll take that over sports and beer any day

Actually stuff like Battlefield and such do NOT help get rid of the "oh it's for kids" bit. Those games actually have a very high association with immaturity, due to the extremely toxic asshattery that goes on in them. People act like a bunch of enraged toddlers. Constantly. Not to mention.... that not everyone views the games themselves as mature. If the person views it as "mindless", often "mature" is thrown right out the window. I've heard that one from various people, and it's one I absolutely agree with; far as I'm concerned, games like CoD are alot more juvenile than many. Oh, we cant just be creative... cant come up with ideas.... I know! GUNS BLOOD AND SWEARING, that'll do it! Ugh. Boring and childish, to me. At least something like Skyrim tries to be a bit deeper, sort of... but games like that are rare among the AAA group.

....also the fact that a HUGE number of players of games like online FPS stuff are, in fact, kids, does not help. Wheras something like Pokemon actually attracts a huge number of adults. This all may not make a whole lot of sense from the outside, but that's how it goes, and it shows that these ALL attract mixed demographics, and people have very mixed thoughts on them. No, it's the hobby as a whole that is still just plain ingrained into some people's minds as "toys". Unless, of course, they grew up with such things.

Anyway, as for me, I used to be pestered about my gaming hobby, but.... I basically told everyone to shove off, and kept to myself, because heck with it, I'll do as I like, thanks. If they dont like it, well, tough. They can go back to their braindead TV sitcom marathons and stay away from me.

Fortunately my immediate family stopped thinking like this awhile ago.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:22 pm

No, actually. Seems pretty common among people around here.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 8:53 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
No, actually. Seems pretty common among people around here.

Same here. I think you're more likely where I am to get put down for not being a gamer.

sly279 wrote:

You need to spend time somewhere else, then.

TJH58
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2016, 9:57 pm

When I was in High school, my mom disliked the fact that I liked playing Mario games, and I actually got yelled at while playing NSMB on my DS because it was "a kiddie game and I should have grown out of that." I ended throwing out my cartridge in frustration, which ruined my 100% run of the game. My dad wasn't much better, but slightly more understanding. Nowadays, I'm not sure they care as much, but I try to hide my gaming interests from them anyway.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Nov 2016, 4:03 am

My parents complained about how I needed to get more of a life instead of playing video-games so much but they've also said that about computer & watching TV. It wasn't that doing those things was preventing my from having a life but rather I did those things cuz I didn't have much of a life. I lived in a rural area & couldn't drive & I never had many friends partly from lack on interest & partly because of my Aspie quirks. When I was in school my parents felt that I needed to focus on school work more but school really stressed me out & I did not learn from studying cuz of my dyslexia so I really needed those things to wind down & relax when I wasn't in school. As an adult they felt I needed to be looking for a job instead of doing those things but I was applying for any job I felt I could do & was doing those things to pass the time. It irritates me that they don't understand my situation better but things are a lot better now that I live with my girlfriend & only see them a couple times a year. They still sometimes say something when they're asking what I've been doing; usually it's when my girlfriend is visiting family that my parents comment about how I need to do more when they're asking what I've been doing while she's not there.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 8:13 pm

Maybe in the past. Even if I did I would ignore it and move on. Sometimes I worry that I will because I am a woman on the spectrum. I worry that people will think that I should become an art savant or something or some successful business woman who spends all of her free time writing a autobiography on her autism instead of playing video games.

People have mentioned art and autobiographies to me but I'd rather be gaming.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 1:31 pm

Yes, I have in that, some see playing video games a waste of time and nothing more than someone a lazy person does to pass the time. However, the way I see it is that I'm able to distress as well find some serenity while taking my mind of temporarily speaking of things that are negative or unpleasant.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm

No, but I think some wouldn't understand. In my workplace people like hunting or are older parents who probably don't play any.