Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 2:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
well it's started

Minorities being targeted
http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... a6c4354e32

Welcome to "Trumpland"

The scarf story was made up according to police.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news ... /93572808/

Oh your link says the same:

Lafayette Police spokesman Officer Karl Ratcliff told NBC News: “She made the entire story up” and “more than likely ... will be charged with filing a false police report.”

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 11 Nov 2016, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 2:39 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Clinton, Obama, and the left never got the endorsement of white nationalists. None of them ever encouraged so called poll watchers, who said in interviews that they were on the lookout specifically for blacks and Latinos committing voter fraud.

All of this has nothing to do with my post. I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm just pizzed about the articles that equate Trump's election with all white people being evil, and give orders on how we should act and think and speak. If you haven't seen them, consider yourself lucky. I have several self-hating liberal white friends who like to share them.

Self-hating?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 11:25 am

Quote:
Self-hating?

White people who post articles about how terrible white people are. Either they forgot they're white, or they hate themselves.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 11:59 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Self-hating?

White people who post articles about how terrible white people are. Either they forgot they're white, or they hate themselves.

Or, they don't feel any affiliation based on race? PARTICULARLY with racist white people?

Many white people ARE terrible right now. I'm not self-hating because I think that. My colour doesn't matter, it is entirely irrelevant, and I certainly haven't forgotten that I'm white. It just has absolutely no relevance to ANY of my opinions. It's a colour.

Nobody is self-hating because they're upset by the behaviour of racist white people. Being white isn't like a ticket to some exclusive club, despite what the racist people believe.

This is exactly it. "If a white person says something bad about the behaviour of other white people, they must have forgotten they're white or must hate themselves". Ridiculous.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 6:23 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Self-hating?

Or they don't subscribe to primitive tribalism

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2016, 9:27 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Or they don't subscribe to primitive tribalism

But "primitive tribalism" is what identity politics is all about.

Women are expected to automatically support someone like Hillary Clinton just because she's a woman, with no reference to her positions or policies. If they don't, they're called traitors. Primitive tribalism.

Blacks are expected to automatically support someone like Obama just because he's black, with no reference to his actions, positions or policies. If they don't, they're called traitors. Primitive tribalism.

Same for gay people, trans people, et cetera, et cetera. It's all primitive tribalism.

Except for white men — who are being racist and sexist if they behave in exactly the same way as every other group is supposed to behave. Who are even labelled racist and sexist for not supporting every other group's primitive tribalism. Who are labelled racist and sexist for even suggesting that it would be better if people were judged by the content of their character rather than superficial qualities which they have no control over or choice in.

Actually, it's not just white men; they're just the most obvious. The same attitude applies to poor people, rural people, religious people.

If someone is going to support identity politics, then they are supporting primitive tribalism. If they're going to selectively complain only about some groups displaying primitive tribalism, then they're just being hypocrites.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 11:36 pm

Quote:
Or, they don't feel any affiliation based on race? PARTICULARLY with racist white people?

Many white people ARE terrible right now. I'm not self-hating because I think that. My colour doesn't matter, it is entirely irrelevant, and I certainly haven't forgotten that I'm white. It just has absolutely no relevance to ANY of my opinions. It's a colour.

Nobody is self-hating because they're upset by the behaviour of racist white people. Being white isn't like a ticket to some exclusive club, despite what the racist people believe.

This is exactly it. "If a white person says something bad about the behaviour of other white people, they must have forgotten they're white or must hate themselves". Ridiculous.

They aren't talking about SOME white people. They aren't talking about RACIST white people. The articles are about ALL white people. Which includes themselves.
Good lord. Reading comprehension, folks.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 11:52 pm

Amaltheia wrote:
Except for white men — who are being racist and sexist if they behave in exactly the same way as every other group is supposed to behave.

White males who talk about the greatness of the mythical "white race" and achievements have simply had the good fortune to inherit wealth and privilege and pat themselves on their backs for their good fortune

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2016, 1:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
White males who talk about the greatness of the mythical "white race" and achievements have simply had the good fortune to inherit wealth and privilege and pat themselves on their backs for their good fortune

Don't try and change the subject.

Why is primitive tribalism valid when some groups do it, but not others? Whether or not you happen to approve of a particular group is irrelevant.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Nov 2016, 1:56 am

Van Jones seems to have changed his tune a bit, he said today along the lines of "you couldn't have scripted a better human being than Trump the last 36 hours" and that he has been "spectacular". That was just from his meeting at the White House with Obama, I don't know what he was expecting out of Trump but I think a lot of people have this fictionalized version of him in their head. Trump can be a very charming classy guy when he wants to, I think he understands the gravity of the office he is about to take, and I think he craves the approval of his former opponents who did not take him seriously in the past because he obviously is a very intelligent and competent executive.

Trump actually won less of the white vote and more of the minority vote than Romney, so much for the 'whitelash' theory.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 2:06 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Surely all that openly racist, extremist homophobic crap is illegal and the people who have such stickers on their vehicles etc should be charged? I would remove such hateful messages and burn them!

We have a 1st amendment here, people get to say whatever they want, and it would be you who went to jail for defacing their property.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 3:59 am

Amaltheia wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Don't try and change the subject.

Why is primitive tribalism valid when some groups do it, but not others? Whether or not you happen to approve of a particular group is irrelevant.

Those in power have less justification to draw on tribal connections given (according to Abe Lincoln) "a house divided against itself can't stand". In this sense the Romans (ironically) were actually more enlightened than modern Americans in that anyone who pledged allegiance to Rome became a citizen, they didn't classify Romans into whites, blacks, Hispanics etc...

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2016, 4:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
In this sense the Romans (ironically) were actually more enlightened than modern Americans in that anyone who pledged allegiance to Rome became a citizen, they didn't classify Romans into whites, blacks, Hispanics etc...

So you're saying the Romans had two baskets: one labelled "citizens" who got to be treated with respect, and one labelled "non-citizens" or "allies" or "barbarians" who didn't.

The thing is the Romans only extended the citizenship reluctantly. Originally, only inhabitants of Rome could be citizens. Then, a form of second-class citizenship was extended to the Latin tribes (after the Latin War), then to the Italian allies (after the Social War). It wasn't until Julius Caesar became dictator that citizenship was extended outside of the Italian peninsula, when he granted it to the inhabitants of Gaul and Hispania. Note how often the extension only came after a war in which the non-citizens demanded a change to their status — and demonstrated they were willing to fight for it.*

So, as far as I can tell, modern-day America is very much like Rome. There are two baskets: one of enlightened individuals, who get to engage in "primitive tribalism"; and one of deplorables, who don't and get denounced if they do.

Possibly, it would be best to move beyond putting people in baskets.

* Just as an interesting aside, the Latins and Italian tribes fought for the citizenship because, as part of the growing Roman Empire, they were providing the bulk — some two-thirds — of the Roman army. That also matches modern-day America, where the bulk of the US military is made up of recruits from the basket of deplorables.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Speaking on CNN during the wee hours of Wednesday morning, CNN contributor Van Jones claimed that this year's election (and Republican candidate Donald Trump's unexpected rise) ultimately came down to something entirely unrelated to candidates' policies or their speeches at rallies. Instead, Jones claimed the root of this year's wild election was something he called "whitelash."

Trump's rise and his surprising surge in votes on Nov. 8, Jones reasoned, came down to "whitelash" — essentially, backlash from white Americans against other races. Backlash (or whitelash) against immigrants entering the country, backlash against refugees who were welcomed into the United States, backlash against African Americans and (of course) a backlash against 8 years of a black president

https://www.romper.com/p/what-does-whit ... bout-22274

CNN is worse than FOX. The facts prove far more non whites voted for Trump than expected. Hillary thought she could fool people into thinking she was for blacksmexicanswomengbltqingersminoritiesnoncisblahblah, but perhaps more people studied her background and emails than they expected. They know that she's a racist, a liar and a user.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 7:21 pm

Amaltheia wrote:
So, as far as I can tell, modern-day America is very much like Rome. There are two baskets: one of enlightened individuals, who get to engage in "primitive tribalism"; and one of deplorables, who don't and get denounced if they do.

I don't subscribe to propaganda or rhetoric. Even Clinton regretted using the "deplorables" tag as she lost an opportunity to appeal to republican voters.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 7:22 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Speaking on CNN during the wee hours of Wednesday morning, CNN contributor Van Jones claimed that this year's election (and Republican candidate Donald Trump's unexpected rise) ultimately came down to something entirely unrelated to candidates' policies or their speeches at rallies. Instead, Jones claimed the root of this year's wild election was something he called "whitelash."

Trump's rise and his surprising surge in votes on Nov. 8, Jones reasoned, came down to "whitelash" — essentially, backlash from white Americans against other races. Backlash (or whitelash) against immigrants entering the country, backlash against refugees who were welcomed into the United States, backlash against African Americans and (of course) a backlash against 8 years of a black president

https://www.romper.com/p/what-does-whit ... bout-22274

CNN is worse than FOX. The facts prove far more non whites voted for Trump than expected. Hillary thought she could fool people into thinking she was for blacksmexicanswomengbltqingersminoritiesnoncisblahblah, but perhaps more people studied her background and emails than they expected. They know that she's a racist, a liar and a user.

Whatever her personal views it's not going to matter does it. Flogging a dead horse.