Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:04 am

The Election 2016 thread was a success in that it probably cut down on the number of election threads near the end of the just completed campaign.

We on the spectrum sometimes have difficulty with change and this is a big a change as it gets. So I figured I would just face it directly.

Chris Christie is heading the transition team.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:08 am

Many don't like change, or behavioural patterns associated with it.
Many like to say the like change, though, to appear positive.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 5:50 am

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about President Trump (although I voted for him).

I was always voting to deny Hillary the White House. She didn't deserve it. She wanted it for all the wrong reasons (for Americans, at least). If nothing else, Hillary has been "punished" for her ill deeds by losing the brass ring she so desperately wanted to acquire.

If Trump just turns out to be a mediocre president, America will be better off than if they let Hillary be in charge.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 8:07 am

Politico: Meet Trump's Cabinet-in-waiting

Quote:
...Forrest Lucas, the 74-year-old co-founder of oil products company Lucas Oil, as a top contender for Interior secretary,...donor and Goldman Sachs veteran Steven Mnuchin as Treasury secretary...Newt Gingrich, Rudy Giuliani and Chris Christie, all of whom are being considered for top posts.... Sen. Bob Corker for secretary of State or Sen. Jeff Sessions for secretary of Defense.

Rudy Giuliani has been particularly obnoxious in this past election cycle. I do not look forward to seeing him in the news.

Globe & Mail: Legalized marijuana a big winner of U.S. election

Quote:
Voters in three of the most populous states – California, Florida, Nevada and Massachusetts – backed plans to relax marijuana laws. Voters in California, Nevada and Massachusetts supported legalizing marijuana for recreational use, while Floridians supported measures to expand the number of conditions that can be treated with medical marijuana.

Yay, a silver lining.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 1:40 pm

I'm glad Trump got in. He's not the best choice, but he's the lesser of the two evils. He has more respect for life.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:58 pm

Well Trump isn't the worst of the people who'll be in the white house....Pence and Christie are right wing fundies, so I am more worried about them and people like that than Trump himself.

Last thing we needed was religious legislation in government but that is what we'll likely get with the two of those scum bags holding such high offices. Great for fundies not great for people who believe in freedom of religion and keeping religion out of law.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:52 pm

Trump says the illegal aliens "have to go".

Yet, how do we do the dirty business of rounding them all up?

Ideas:
---------
-empower INS (immigration police)
-immigration raids on businesses and homes
-E-Verify (verify social security information)
-fines on businesses
-HLS (Homeland Security)-type "if you see something, say something" program for citizens to report random sightings of illegals aliens
-"Papers on Demand" - police can demand you produce your "documents" on demand (especially if you have darker skin, and speak Spanish)

i'm being facetious :)

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:05 pm

I'm not happy about this.

That's really all I have to say on the matter.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 4:09 pm

Barchan wrote:
I'm not happy about this.

That's really all I have to say on the matter.

This too, shall pass. We can't legally have any more than 8 years of Trump.

Take a historical view. If the U.S. could survive the civil war with six percent of its population dead or maimed then it can survive this political happening. The people have spoken though their ballots.

There has been no violence. Power will transfer peacefully and we shall all manage sufficiently well.

Relax.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 5:03 pm

I can't take Trump seriously because he's now POTUS, but I'm hoping he'll be worse than "Dubya."

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2016, 6:30 pm

The SJW tears. So worth it. So much salt. So much drama. Mucho drama.

:lmao:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 7:38 pm

I'll try to ignore it as much as possible, catch the salient news but I'll do everything I can - as much as before - to stay away from the constant partisan mud-slinging that they call 'news' for the next four years. It just depresses me too much that this is what it came down to - Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton. Some people we're saying 'Anyone but Trump', some people were saying 'Anyone but Hillary'. I can't relate. There's a certain point at which the 'lesser of two evils' starts turning into a meaningless phrase.

About all I can say about Trump is that most of his evils are wrapped up in coarseness and social ineptitude rather than active or methodical in his character. I just hope that someone who understands what it takes to keep peace and good will in the world through diplomacy talks to him and lets him know that he can't be carrying on the way he does on his reality tv shows, or in the debates, when he's talking to foreign leaders or sitting in at a G-20 summit.

The other thing that's a silver-lining; we have half a chance of our US Supreme Court not turning batsht leftist now. We might find other ways to burn the country down but we may at least be able to rule out judicial reworking of the living-breathing constitution as a primary vehicle.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

09 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

He is in because he is a good actor. He understands how the media, and the private virtual network gets people interested. He is an excellent buisnessman. He knows politics extremely well. Probably better than most politicians. You need to in order to create a billion dollar company from the ground floor, and survive multiple bankruptsies.

Hard working people like myself are sick of politicians stupidly throwing around tax money like a kid in a candy store. If most politicians actually owned their own buisness, and ran it like this country, it would miserably fail.

It will be fun to see a man of his stature, and what he will do. Most other countries may not like the idea, but I don't care, because I am an American. This is not about them.

It reminds me of when I voted for Jesse Ventura for Govenor. Fun times. He couldn't handle all the news media bashing though, so he quit on us. Politicians, and the media can be really mean decietful back stabbing people. It is really unethical, and a complete lack of tenure. A mud slinging attitude that should not be tolerated by people of such stature.

I really wish he was not a sociopath.

If I could have voted for Bernie, I would have.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 8:24 am

A couple more observations:

This is a great time for bipartisan support to restrain executive power! :D

Also indeed it could get worse. At this rate Trump could be running against Kanye West in 2020 with Kanye running on the platform that he'll find the CIA operatives and biologists who invented AIDS and bring them to justice.

Also - again on the topic of 'President Elect Trump'...

If *any* of you know any Democrats who thought they'd be cheeky and torpedo the Republican primaries by going out to vote for who they thought was the most insane idiot on the Republican ticket - please shove their faces in this and make sure they're getting a proper whiff of what just happened.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin