Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
randomeu wrote:
so, ive read that people relate to you more/feel more close to you if you can do sarcasm...

Really? Where did you read this?

http://www.thegrindstone.com/2011/08/02 ... -creative/

im not entirely sure what he means by "unleash your inner channler Bing" i mean granted i wasn't around for the show "friends" but ive watched it somewhat

that and i asked, and got 3 guys telling me it does.....granted those 3 guys hate me (im not quite sure why i have them on steam.....on the course i was on at the time, they bullied me alot. i think im just unable to let go of past people) so it might be a trick.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 8:30 pm

I'm told I'm good at sarcasm. But I really don't understand how I am, it just happens. I think if I purposely tried to be sarcastic, I'd probably do it wrong. Probably personality and attitude has a lot to do with it.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

09 Nov 2016, 8:43 pm

I learned sarcasm way too well. It came from being abused alot. Trust me, it comes very naturally that way.

Most mature well rounded people realise that sarcastic humor is not funny. If anything it is dergading.

I had a boss that used to call his form of sarcasm constructive critisism. He was an big A hole, and deserved a punch in the face. Never understood where the building blocks of this critisism was? It made a big pile of crap.

I'm sarcastic.

compdude787
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2016, 8:59 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Because, I don't like it as a form of humor. I think it's nearly always mean spirited. There's a famous saying "Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor." I believe that. I rarely think it's funny, I just think it's a-holey.

Completely agree with this!!

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 9:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
KimD wrote:
Sometimes sarcasm can highlight a "bond" when it's shared with people who are dealing with the same painful situation, frustration, or anger and it can lighten the mood up--or at least let people know that they're not alone. People might use it as a conversation starter, as in "Nice weather we're having," when it's raining, or "Man, the [team name here] really earned their money last night!" Sarcasm can also be a good way to ease up an embarrassing moment, especially if it's aimed at oneself. If you've just tripped and you say something like, "Wow, those dance lessons really paid off!" you're letting people know that you're okay and make it alright for them to laugh a little if they're inclined to do so. (Even if you're still embarrassed and you don't really want people to laugh, it can still make you seem "cool" because don't appear frail or lacking in self-confidence.)

However, some sarcasm is just plain mean, or at least rude, especially if it's aimed at someone that they know will be hurt by it. Too much sarcasm can get tedious or obnoxious, and being sarcastic about something that's super-obvious probably won't qualify as funny in the first place--but, as I said, it can be a conversation-starter, a way to change a topic, or at least a way to break the silence.

Of course, humor is really subjective and things like time, place, sub-text and culture can have a big impact on what's considered funny. A good comedian usually knows what their audience will like--they "read the room" well.

I agree with what you're saying and sarcasm is also used as a sense of humor to make people laugh and be funny. But sometimes it's used to make fun of people and some people are very sarcastic and do it all the time and that is what I have a problem with. If someone is sarcastic all the time, I never know when they are serious. My first boyfriend was always joking with me which my mom called sarcasm and it would always upset me because he did it all the time. I told him how it made him felt and nothing change but at least my husband would apologize. For my first boyfriend he saw it as changing who he is if he quit doing it with me. Then he would get upset with me for taking him seriously or for not knowing he was teasing. My mom says he was just a jerk and anyone can be an as*hole.

I agree; using sarcasm to inflict harm is wrong, and anyone who says they "can't stop" doing it even when they know it's really annoying or hurts someone is, indeed, an insensitive, immature a-hole! I hope you didn't keep that first boyfriend for long.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 12:30 am

KimD wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
KimD wrote:
Sometimes sarcasm can highlight a "bond" when it's shared with people who are dealing with the same painful situation, frustration, or anger and it can lighten the mood up--or at least let people know that they're not alone. People might use it as a conversation starter, as in "Nice weather we're having," when it's raining, or "Man, the [team name here] really earned their money last night!" Sarcasm can also be a good way to ease up an embarrassing moment, especially if it's aimed at oneself. If you've just tripped and you say something like, "Wow, those dance lessons really paid off!" you're letting people know that you're okay and make it alright for them to laugh a little if they're inclined to do so. (Even if you're still embarrassed and you don't really want people to laugh, it can still make you seem "cool" because don't appear frail or lacking in self-confidence.)

However, some sarcasm is just plain mean, or at least rude, especially if it's aimed at someone that they know will be hurt by it. Too much sarcasm can get tedious or obnoxious, and being sarcastic about something that's super-obvious probably won't qualify as funny in the first place--but, as I said, it can be a conversation-starter, a way to change a topic, or at least a way to break the silence.

Of course, humor is really subjective and things like time, place, sub-text and culture can have a big impact on what's considered funny. A good comedian usually knows what their audience will like--they "read the room" well.

I agree with what you're saying and sarcasm is also used as a sense of humor to make people laugh and be funny. But sometimes it's used to make fun of people and some people are very sarcastic and do it all the time and that is what I have a problem with. If someone is sarcastic all the time, I never know when they are serious. My first boyfriend was always joking with me which my mom called sarcasm and it would always upset me because he did it all the time. I told him how it made him felt and nothing change but at least my husband would apologize. For my first boyfriend he saw it as changing who he is if he quit doing it with me. Then he would get upset with me for taking him seriously or for not knowing he was teasing. My mom says he was just a jerk and anyone can be an as*hole.

I agree; using sarcasm to inflict harm is wrong, and anyone who says they "can't stop" doing it even when they know it's really annoying or hurts someone is, indeed, an insensitive, immature a-hole! I hope you didn't keep that first boyfriend for long.

I didn't. I broke up with him but it wasn't due to that.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 2:54 am

The kind of remarks I make that are considered sarcasm, are usually about a situation. Sometimes it might be about a person, like a sarcastic remark about Trump.

To me that's a lot different than being condescending and snarky towards an individual you are speaking to.

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2016, 5:26 am

I learned to be quick (but not always funny) as it gives me time to gather my thoughts for a considered response
Sometimes I just have stock responses
I make connections very rapidly but they can be very left-field/subjective so others miss the point of my stunning ripostes ;-)