Democratic Party Strategies for 2018 and 2020

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 8:37 pm

As all of you will no doubt know Donald Trump has seized victory in yesterday's election and will go on to be president. I do not think this is a total disaster for the Left as a backlash against a Trump administration could lead to victories for the Democrats come 2018 and 2020 we just need to play our cards well.

So this is why I have created this thread in order to discuss what we did wrong and learn from our mistakes so we can win in the next election cycle.

One mistake I think the Democratic Party made this year was dismissing Republican voters as racist. From this I believe we ended up alienating voters that might have been swayed to join Hillary's side. If we want to win an election one thing is clear, dismissing people as part of a basket of deplorable does not work.

A second mistake that we likely made was also to nominate an establishment candidate with ties to wall street. By being linked to Wall Street Hillary Clinton was perceived as being corrupt and controlled by special interests. By being part of the establishment as well people perceived Hillary as being the candidate who represented no change.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 9:43 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
One mistake I think the Democratic Party made this year was dismissing Republican voters as racist.

Very stupid to call potential voters -- "deplorable".

I told my mom, "Clinton is calling you a deplorable". She went to work, and told all her friends, "Clinton is calling everyone deplorable". They went and passed it on to others .... so forth and so on ....

Just because millions of undecided voters may align with Trump presently, doesn't mean they won't switch, but well, if you're gonna call them names ...I guess you don't really need their votes.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm

I'd ask the third party voters.

After thinking about it, I take that back because Clinton won the popular vote and she campaigned in the battleground states and spent more money than Trump. I honestly don't think anything could have been done - I think people wanted a real change and they didn't want another politician. That's why Cruz lost. Cruz was only being chosen I believe for his religious values, but people wanted a non - politician more. I also think when Trump was shooting off at the mouth - that's what got him further - he was saying what other people could only think.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Last edited by nurseangela on 09 Nov 2016, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 10:20 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
One mistake I think the Democratic Party made this year was dismissing Republican voters as racist.

Very stupid to call potential voters -- "deplorable".

I told my mom, "Clinton is calling you a deplorable". She went to work, and told all her friends, "Clinton is calling everyone deplorable". They went and passed it on to others .... so forth and so on ....

Just because millions of undecided voters may align with Trump presently, doesn't mean they won't switch, but well, if you're gonna call them names ...I guess you don't really need their votes.
Yeah and it is a real pity to see it being spread around in so many circles these kinds of ideas when spread might drive a dangerous wege between Republicans and Democrats. We as Democrats shouldn't try to feel superior to Trump supporters by dismissing them as racist all it does it makes them more distant and add to the feeling of resentment to the other side.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 1:09 am

Should have gone with Bernie...oh wait it is too late for that one.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 2:04 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Should have gone with Bernie...oh wait it is too late for that one.

I'm still baffled as to why Elizabeth Warren didn't run.

I am guessing Tim Kaine will run in '20. I doubt Clinton and Sanders will run again because of their age.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 5:15 am

Simple strategy - listen to your voter base plus your opponents and see what they want, or what common ground can be struck. Also never underestimate your opponents. Never make people who disagree with you your opponents. A president is a unifier, the general public should never be in a position where they feel they need to oppose you.

Trump never attacked Hillary voters. He asked for them to give him a chance because they've been not giving the likes of him a chance and they've been failed. He welcomed the people Hillary shunned. He said he'd fight for Hillary voters even if they didn't like him or his policies, and would still try to make America work for them. This is how he managed to surge in almost every voter demographic unlike any other Republican in the last 30 years.

Hate to say it, but learn from Trump, his voters, and the voters let down in the liberal factions.
The political elite and media lived in the same bubble protected from the common person, and it was bound to burst sooner or later.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 5:19 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
Simple strategy - listen to your voter base plus your opponents and see what they want, or what common ground can be struck. Also never underestimate your opponents. Never make people who disagree with you your opponents. A president is a unifier, the general public should never be in a position where they feel they need to oppose you.

Trump never attacked Hillary voters. He asked for them to give him a chance because they've been not giving the likes of him a chance and they've been failed. He welcomed the people Hillary shunned. He said he'd fight for Hillary voters even if they didn't like him or his policies, and would still try to make America work for them. This is how he managed to surge in almost every voter demographic unlike any other Republican in the last 30 years.

Hate to say it, but learn from Trump, his voters, and the voters let down in the liberal factions.
The political elite and media lived in the same bubble protected from the common person, and it was bound to burst sooner or later.

"Trump never attacked Hillary voters."

That's a great idea right there, but totally opposite from what they're used to. May be too far out of their comfort zone.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Nov 2016, 9:10 am

TheSpectrum wrote:

Trump never attacked Hillary voters.

Neither did Hillary. She attacked racists, sexists, and homophobes; in the same speech she emphasised that lots of Trump supporters were ordinary, good people who were just dissatisfied. It's quite telling that she said "racists are deplorable" and people heard "Trump supporters are deplorable".

Trump, of course, attacked large sections of the electorate that typically vote Democrat, such as Hispanics, Muslims, and women. It just didn't stop him winning.

There are three viable strategies for 2020:

1) Focus more on dissatisfied working class white people. One way of doing this could be by running a left-wing populist like Sanders. This will be particularly viable if Trump's tax reforms prove unpopular. Another would be promising big investment in these states. This strategy focuses on shoring up support in New Hampshire and Maine and winning back supporters in the Rust Belt. Target map: http://www.270towin.com/presidential_ma ... /0GlQR.png

2) Continue with the current coalition of minorities and educated whites. This is a much narrower path. Yes, these voters are concentrated in a few states with high electoral votes, but smaller states get more bang for your buck because electoral votes aren't distributed proportionately. Changing demographics in states like Arizona, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and Texas might make these more viable for the Dems, but this largely means giving up on Iowa, Ohio, and such. Target map: http://www.270towin.com/presidential_ma ... /K28Ln.png

3) Just hope that Trump's popularity declines further when he gets into office. Small swings in Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, and Pennsylvania would hand the Democrats a victory - in some cases, less than one in 200 people voting D instead of R. In Michigan, one in 800. Target map: http://www.270towin.com/presidential_ma ... /gv47O.png

(of course there's also #4, which is "nominate an amazing candidate who does #1 and #2 together" (map) but I don't think that's really a strategy - it's a bit like saying "they need to win by getting more votes")

I think the party will split into two or possibly three camps, like the camps we've seen in the Republican Party recently (roughly: Trump/Carson, Cruz/Santorum, Romney/Kasich).

The left of the party will take Hispanic and black support for granted and push to win all through the Great Lakes and North East. Warren and Sanders are the obvious leaders here but are probably too old to stand in 2020 - I wonder whether Joe Kennedy could emerge as a next-generation leader of this group. Andy Cuomo is another option. Neither of those are hard left and may be outflanked by a Sanders type, potentially another total outsider.

Another group will call for a New Southern Strategy: win Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina, and target Georgia and even Texas. Winning Michigan would be a nice bonus. Julian and Joaquin Castro are talked about as the leaders of this group.

Finally, the "business as usual" group will of course slightly change their rhetoric - more populist - but they will focus on the same policies and issues that the party did under Clinton and Obama. Potential leaders here are Cory Booker and Kirsten Gillebrand.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 10:01 am

The_Walrus wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

It's quite telling that she said "racists are deplorable" and people heard "Trump supporters are deplorable".

That's not what she said.

Clinton expresses regret for saying 'half' of Trump supporters are 'deplorables'
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/ ... plorables/

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Nov 2016, 10:32 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

It's quite telling that she said "racists are deplorable" and people heard "Trump supporters are deplorable".

:| Yes it is.

Quote:
"In too many places still, LGBT Americans are singled out for harassment and violence. You can get married on Saturday, post your pictures on Sunday and get fired on Monday. That's why we've got to continue the forward march of progress."

"And we cannot do it alone. I cannot do it alone. I'm not like Donald Trump, who says, 'I alone can fix it.' I've never quite figured out what it is he alone can fix. But that's not what you'll hear from me. I think we have to do this together. So, together we're gonna pass the Equality Act to guarantee full equality. We're going to put comprehensive quality affordable healthcare within reach for more people, including for mental health and addiction. We're going to take on youth homelessness, and as my wonderful, extraordinary, great daughter said, we are going to end the cruel and dangerous practice of conversion therapy. We're going to keep working toward an AIDS-free generation, a goal that I set as secretary of state, and with your help we're going to pass comprehensive gun laws. ..."

"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."

Perhaps you should check whether someone is right or wrong before you tell them that they are wrong.

Perhaps, before you tell your mother that Clinton says she is deplorable, you should check whether Clinton criticised Trump supporters, or just the racist ones. Unless your mother is a racist, of course.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

Remember that Gallup Inc. 2016 registered voters were largely unaffiliated (40 percent, including myself). Affiliated Democrats (32 percent) and Republicans (27 percent) enjoyed less influence at the polls. This is why Trump campaigned to the unaffiliated independents, not his Republican Party which eschewed him and his campaign. America is no longer a partisan nation.

But, political parties had nowhere to go this year, and so, had no choice but to double down on their hardest of hardcore followers. Even these followers will fall away from their parties, especially those few who remain Democrats despite losing again and again and again. Are they angry? Sure, but anger is the one human emotion that is difficult to maintain over time. To create real "change" takes much, much more than intention and wishful thinking.

No, apart from a huge Trump administration mistake, the Democratic Party is assigned to obscurity for the next generation or more. After all, congressional redistricting will happen again just six years from now. A revitalized economy (however meek) almost ensures Republican control over the 2022 redistricting plan. Then there are the various state governments which will become more Republican in the future than they already are now.

So, a rebound for the Democrats? Ummm, no. It isn't in the cards.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 11:01 am

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

:| Yes it is.

The link I cited shows what she said ....

"To just be grossly generalistic, you can put half of Trump supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables," Clinton said. "Right? Racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, you name it."

She made an open-ended statement, not restricting her condemnation to simply "racists".

"You name it" means anything a Trump supporter may think is deplorable.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 11:03 am

Abolish the electoral college ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hell if Trump pushed for it himself so it would take effect next election I'd be happy and could even respect him some. His campaign was about being for the people against the establishment. It would be a great gesture for him to dismantle one of the establishments most arcane features.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 2:31 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Abolish the electoral college ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hell if Trump pushed for it himself so it would take effect next election I'd be happy and could even respect him some. His campaign was about being for the people against the establishment. It would be a great gesture for him to dismantle one of the establishments most arcane features.

So California and New York will pick all our future presidents and most states will have no say. No thanks. After hearing the reason for the elector college I support it now. It keeps to our republic system and make sure all states have a fair representation in picking the president.