Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 11:47 am

anagram wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
I don't think it's a good thing to have the media saturated with US affairs. It feeds into the global narrative, keeps people from having national identities. Ever hear of cultural hegemony?

amen to that. and it's why the phenomenon of illegal immigration exists in the first place. the u.s. must learn how to not be an empire if it wants to be a proper country going forward. and the rest of the world should also realize the same

not that i actually care about national identity per se, and to a large extent i actually dislike the concept. but basing someone's identity on what they're not is a bad thing, and it's the main effect of that saturation

There were quite a few books written a few years ago about the idea that the US is a crumbling empire, and the state of current affairs is just a natural motion of that empire on the downswing.

I remember being in the middle of one of those books for school. It was actually talking about England building its empire and oppressing...maybe India? I don't recall exactly. But I asked my brother in law about it. He recently immigrated (legally, lol) from England. He said, "What do you mean, when we won?" That stuck in my mind. When you're winning at something, the losers would naturally feel oppressed. And then maybe the losers would be the winners the next time. I don't know. It's interesting to read up on anyway. I've been thinking of reading some more books on all that again, see what's changed.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 11:50 am

It's pretty hard not to notice when your neighbour's house is about to blow up.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
There were quite a few books written a few years ago about the idea that the US is a crumbling empire, and the state of current affairs is just a natural motion of that empire on the downswing.

I remember being in the middle of one of those books for school. It was actually talking about England building its empire and oppressing...maybe India? I don't recall exactly. But I asked my brother in law about it. He recently immigrated (legally, lol) from England. He said, "What do you mean, when we won?" That stuck in my mind. When you're winning at something, the losers would naturally feel oppressed. And then maybe the losers would be the winners the next time. I don't know. It's interesting to read up on anyway. I've been thinking of reading some more books on all that again, see what's changed.

and even india itself might be a sort of global empire a few decades from now. who's to say, right? they have all the ingredients (they're even part of the "lineage" that can be traced back to the ancient romans. they have their british heritage too by now). they just need to bake those ingredients for a while and add ambition to the mix

it's the nature of these things. rise and fall, and so it goes on. but it's a game of thrones, not a game of people

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm

btw, socofautism, i'd be curious to hear your 2 cents:

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=332339

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 5:39 am

I agree with the OP. I'm fed up with seeing Trump everywhere too. Was there all this uproar when Hitler was leader? Is Trump worse than Hitler?

The UK is no better than USA. It is ran by conservatives. It lets Muslims get away with being offended by our British culture. It sends millions of pounds to other countries, when the UK needs it most. The UK is in debt. Renting a small standard house or even an apartment is so expensive. There are millions of foreigners here and no room for Brits. I could go on and on.

So this Trump (stupid name, in the UK 'trump' is a word for 'fart') is worse than a terrorist and has secret plans to nuke the world?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 2:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
So this Trump (stupid name, in the UK 'trump' is a word for 'fart') is worse than a terrorist and has secret plans to nuke the world?

He's made rather questionable statements on whether he understands the gravity of nuclear weapons in the past. He also is known for being rather thin-skinned, uninformed, and to have vindictive impulses. The US system also really isn't built to protect against a bad president: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/2016-donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-missiles-nukes-button-launch-foreign-policy-213955

In any case, bad leaders are worse than terrorists. Generally speaking, they'll kill more people, and most terroristic threats cause terror, but the damage of a bad leader can be real.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 2:46 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

He's made rather questionable statements on whether he understands the gravity of nuclear weapons in the past. He also is known for being rather thin-skinned, uninformed, and to have vindictive impulses. The US system also really isn't built to protect against a bad president: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/2016-donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-missiles-nukes-button-launch-foreign-policy-213955
In any case, bad leaders are worse than terrorists. Generally speaking, they'll kill more people, and most terroristic threats cause terror, but the damage of a bad leader can be real.

his inner circle is even scarier.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 2:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
his inner circle is even scarier.

At minimum, it's a closer competition than I'd like given that Steve Bannon is known for being a white nationalist. Some of the other names floating around are terrible. So, John Bolton, a possible pick for secretary of state, is known for having advocated for pre-emptive nuclear strike: http://reason.com/archives/2016/08/17/john-bolton-trumps-likely-secretary-of-s

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 3:26 am

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 4:46 am

the gist of the reactions- amuuricans say "vox populi" while the rest of the west says "vox pustuli." the electoral machine selected [probably with some judicious hanky-panky] il trumpo, so when him and his crowd end up screwing us [the 99%] up one side and down the other, if I am still alive I will laugh my @$$ off and say "you all made your bed, now sleep in it."

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
From over here in Europe, I care about the effect on climate change this could have and his approach to NATO if Russia goes full Russia and starts meddling in the Baltics but other than that, meh.
Yeah, the climate and military politics can absolutely have a direct effect on the rest of us. Not just about the Baltics, but anywhere if it causes terror here or we are collateral damage. How the ESA (endangered species act) is treated under Trump matters to me because I care about animals regardless of where they live.
Also, it's in the media all the time, so a lot of people form an opinion. We have the same right to an opinion as every one else do, about anything.
SocOfAutism wrote:
Funny that people are just now remembering that the US has nukes. Yes, lots of countries have nukes, and it's disturbing. Maybe people should pay more attention to who is friends with who and why.
No, a lot of countries do not have nukes. Out of the 194 countries in the world, 9 have nukes (USA, Russia, France, China, the UK, Pakistan, India, Israel and North Korea).

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765