Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MelancholicADHD
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2016, 2:31 pm

When I was 15 (I'm 18 now) I was administered a psycho-educational assessment. This test confirmed my ADHD-PI and also diagnosed me with a learning disability. I have dyslexia with mild dyscalculia (my math really is abysmal). Which in all honesty doesn't surprise me. My mother is dyslexic too.

Anyways, I was also required to take an IQ test. I scored somewhere in the 37th percentile. At the time I didn't care because I never understood what it meant. But now that I am (or was) looking to get a PhD in psychology, I decided to research how "smart" I needed to be in order to get a PhD. Apparently, I need an IQ around 120. So not only does aspiring to get a PhD seem unrealistic, but I'm also under average in intelligence. Which really baffles me because a few of my teachers have said I was smart. Although the majority believed I was stupid. I don't know, I guess the majority was right.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how I can overcome this feeling?

AuroPel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2016, 4:10 pm

Move beyond the "numbers" and go with what you have already proven you are capable of.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 4:13 pm

Put together a portfolio that shows what you are good at.