Page 5 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 5:54 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Were you giving advice that the events become something radically different from what they had been in the past?
It rarely got to the point where I had an opportunity to share any ideas at all. The hostility started almost as soon as I walked in the door -- usually right after the introductions. It seemed that just by showing up, I became the embodiment of everything that everyone had ever done to them, and without any of them knowing anything about me except my name and why I was invited.

Never again.

Never, ever again.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 11:41 am

Fnord wrote:
It didn't matter how supportive I was, they treated me like a party-crasher. I may as well have worn a KKK uniform.

[snip]

They were openly hostile, contemptuous, and exclusionary when they weren't ignoring me outright. These were just the planning meetings for rallies, parades, and other events. Mutual friends would bring me in and introduce me as a sympathetic consultant (I like to organize things, and had a lot of experience at university and in the Navy).

The "You ain't one of us, so you wouldn't understand" mantra was prevalent at every such event.

In a subsequent message, you wrote:

Fnord wrote:
It rarely got to the point where I had an opportunity to share any ideas at all. The hostility started almost as soon as I walked in the door -- usually right after the introductions. It seemed that just by showing up, I became the embodiment of everything that everyone had ever done to them, and without any of them knowing anything about me except my name and why I was invited.

If the introductions were what sparked it, I can only guess that perhaps you were getting caught in the middle of longstanding arguments between the people who introduced you and other people there?

Did you ever discuss, with the friends who introduced you, the behavior of the other people at the meetings? If so, what did your friends have to say about it?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 12:01 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
That said, I do wish more bisexual people were out and talked about their experiences more, because I do think there's an epidemic of bad mental health among people of my persuasion. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on why that is, but it's (mostly) not because the LGBT community is hostile to us. You get a lot of 'bi-activists' whose main focus seems to be whining about biphobia among the gay community and trying to get politicians and local authorities to use inclusive language. I think that's a waste of time. We need to talk about what it's like to actually live this stuff.

Although the biphobia of all too many L&G's may not be the number one problem faced by mentally ill bisexuals, it is (or, at least, can be) a significant hindrance to the political (and other) organizing necessary to address other, worse problems. So I don't think bi-activists are misguided in trying to counteract bi-phobia among L&Gs. I'm just very sorry to hear that this is still an issue after lo these many years since the L&G community explicitly became the LGBT community in the late 1980's or so.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 12:32 pm

Capulet wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Despite succeeding on marriage equality, nondiscrimination and hate-crime protections, too many LGBT people still "eat their own" by abusing each other, particularly those who don't comply with their expectations of conformity (political, social and professional). "Diverse and inclusive," my ass. They are now, too often, the abusers not the victims.

As an LGBT advocate for 35 years, I hate to admit it, but it might take a generation or more for LGBT people to grow up.

Its very satisfying to see this- I agree with all of this but have felt very alone in my opinions. I want LGBT people to be kind and open and accepting and welcoming so badly (I'm gay myself) yet in my personal experience they have been extremely petty, condescending, entitled, and I want nothing to do with any of that. It really sucks. I feel like its a recent development too- from where I'm at the past ten years its gotten really bad. I have a theory as to why this is but I don't have time to get into it now.

I would be very interested to see your theory on this, if/whenever you do have time to get into it.

My own hunch is that people in general naturally tend to be cliquish except in situations where they happen to see a good reason to make a sustained, systematic effort to avoid cliquishness. Cliquishness is most people's natural state, it simply takes much more effort to be friendly to newcomers -- especially to those newcomers who might seem a little strange.

One of the things that can motivate people to be non-cliquish is a perceived need to build a community. Due to the many important victories that have been won by the LGBT rights movement, e.g. legal recognition of same-sex marriage, I think many LGBT people have come to take the LGBT community for granted, hence don't feel an overwhelming need to help build said community, hence don't feel an overwhelming need to friendly to newcomers.

IMO, what the LGBT community needs is to grow some new branches. Like, maybe, groups of neurodivergent LGBT people?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 3:03 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
If the introductions were what sparked it, I can only guess that perhaps you were getting caught in the middle of longstanding arguments between the people who introduced you and other people there? Did you ever discuss, with the friends who introduced you, the behavior of the other people at the meetings? If so, what did your friends have to say about it?
Did you ever think you were over-analyzing the situation? Did you ever think that your attempts to blame the victim of open hatred and contempt would be offensive to that victim? Do you ever get tired of being an apologist for a culture that is contemptuous of well-intentioned people from outside that culture? Did I ever ask you to root out the cause of their contempt?

:roll:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 4:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
If the introductions were what sparked it, I can only guess that perhaps you were getting caught in the middle of longstanding arguments between the people who introduced you and other people there? Did you ever discuss, with the friends who introduced you, the behavior of the other people at the meetings? If so, what did your friends have to say about it?
Did you ever think you were over-analyzing the situation? Did you ever think that your attempts to blame the victim of open hatred and contempt would be offensive to that victim?

I'm not attempting to blame you here, just trying to understand the situation.

Based on what you've said so far, it sounds to me as if the most likely possibility would be that, if anyone is at fault here, it might be the friends who introduced you, perhaps intending to drag you into the middle of arguments they were having with other people in the groups. My most recent question to you was intended to determine whether that might be the case. I'm sorry if my wording was not clear on that point.

I agree that the LGBT community tends to be cliquish. However, what you say you experienced goes beyond cliquishness and beyond even prejudice against outsiders; hence my attempt to figure out what might be causing such extreme hostile reactions.

The situations you described struck me as extremely odd. For one thing, in my experience, people in general are usually more polite to people they've been introduced to than they are to strangers off the street. This leads me to suspect that there may have been something else going on behind the scenes that you may have been unaware of (and that was probably NOT your fault, but probably ALSO not representative of the groups' behavior toward everyone else, either).

Fnord wrote:
Did I ever ask you to root out the cause of their contempt?

No, but the sheer oddness of the situation aroused my curiosity.

If you prefer not to discuss it further, that's certainly your right. However, in that case, please do not judge the LGBT community as a whole based on your highly strange encounters with it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 3:17 pm

I would prefer to at least be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to reporting on what special-interest groups are really all about -- they are not the all-inclusive, all welcoming, "let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya" happy-clappy fellowships that their apologist (like you) want outsiders to believe them to be.

Christian churches? Political parties? The Gay Rights movement? All are exclusionary to the point of supporting and passively promoting a "Them Versus Us" mind-set among the membership.

Never forget it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2018, 3:55 am

To Fnord:

I never claimed that everyone in the LGBT community is "all-inclusive, all welcoming." In other posts in this thread, I have talked about cliquishness in the LGBT community and biphobia on the part of gays.

However, the particular situation you described is just weird. I'm not saying it didn't happen; I was just speculating that perhaps you might have been unknowingly used as a pawn (by your friends), resulting in you getting caught inadvertantly in the middle of a nasty ongoing argument. Even very prejudiced people don't usually express it in the extreme way you described, especially when being introduced to friends of friends.

Anyhow, despite its flaws, the LGBT rights movement has served very valuable purposes. Do you deny that?

d057
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 9:28 pm

Sorry, I haven't been able to log on as much lately. Yes, it was in Pittsburgh. The Delta Foundation of Pittsburgh is now the organizer for Pride. Like I said, it was my first pride festival. I was still new to being gay at that time.

Mona Pereth wrote:
d057 wrote:
I attended Pride for the first time in 2014. I volunteered for my local pride celebration. All I can say is that was a gigantic mistake that I wish not to make again. The organizers for the festival had this "celebration" for the volunteers about a month after Pride. I honestly wish I walked out. They were some of the rudest, shallow and stuck up people I ever took time out of my day to be around.

They had a buffet table with food and I was looking for a place to sit. After looking around I asked where I could find a chair. Instead of politely pointing to where I could find one, one of the staff picked up the chair and slammed it onto the ground. They gave me this look like "you are not part of our clique, go away."

I refuse to take time out of my day to be around people who treat me like worthless garbage.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Where did this happen? Pittsburgh?

What were the Pride events like generally? How many different groups were involved?

d057
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 9:44 pm

That was basically my experience at Pittsburgh Pride. They want pride to be a loud party.

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Were you giving advice that the events become something radically different from what they had been in the past?

Never again.

Never, ever again.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2019, 1:02 pm

I know this thread's rather old, but I do feel I don't really belong in the LGBT community. Unlike the average LGBT person, I don't hate capitalism, I don't wish for Trump to die (even if I don't like the guy), and I don't really consider myself full-on liberal but more of a centrist politically. I worry about sharing political opinions for fear of being yelled at or silenced, which I have seen happen.

Of course, there's many different groups and communities out there that are more open-minded politically, but the majority of LGBT people I come across are radical left and aren't too friendly to those who have differing opinions. If you try to disagree with them respectfully, you could get shouted at and called all sorts of names under the sun, which is pretty toxic to me.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 9:58 am

I don't think I relate to the LGBT community because they called me uptight for not wanting to f**k guys who ask me for sex within seconds of meeting me for the first time. :?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 11:00 am

My older sister, who is gay, doesn't like the LGBT community or pride. Like me, she thinks the whole movement is far too radical and that the LGBT community forces you to have a label of some sort. Supposedly, they (at least) act like they hate straight, cisgender people. It wouldn't help being asexual, either.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 10:26 am

I think a lot of the radicalness comes with both the coming out process, and a younger age. When a lot of people "come out", they come out with a vengeance. I know I did. I used to think I couldn't just be gay...I had to be GAY! (if that makes sense?)

I also think people like to label and box up others. I mean if you think about it L's G's B's and T's and all the other gender, orientation, and identity labels we tend to use really are different. Sure there are commonalities, but there are differences too. I think that's where a lot of the hostility comes from, we don't all think the same things or feel the same ways, or love the same people. We need to support each other, yes and share in our sameness, but also respect the things that make us different too.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 10:37 am

Yes, they should support each other. But, there are many in the community with issues that they take out on people that they should be friends with. Aspies with social issues are easy targets.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 11:13 am

BTDT wrote:
Yes, they should support each other. But, there are many in the community with issues that they take out on people that they should be friends with. Aspies with social issues are easy targets.

No arguments there. I agree. It's hard to catch hate from all sides, I know