Trump names white nationalist to top White House position

Page 8 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 4:02 am

cberg wrote:
Is there really any slandering someone who already went low enough to run a segregationist NEWS site?

It's clear that you've never actually read Breitbart, so I should probably treat your opinion the way I treat all the other ignorant claims made here, and your failure to understand the nature of slander only confirms that impression. You could slander Hitler and you'd still be a slanderer, the fact that you're maligning a scoundrel doesn't make your hands clean.

cberg wrote:
Also it's plainly apparent I didn't quote you at all.

You misconstrued what I said, close enough for those of us who aren't tiresomely pedantic.

cberg wrote:
He conflated "Black Lives Matter" with the perceptual effects of crack cocaine.

And?

cberg wrote:
You cannot be serious.

Why not? I clearly know a lot more about this than you do, which kinda makes me more serious by default.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 4:05 am

Raptor wrote:
Hmm..... :chin:
I got a TOS a few days ago for writing a "provocative" post not too unlike this.

Well, you know we have those special rules just for us that don't apply to the decent members...

I'm sure I don't need to point out some of the missing voices of the last few weeks, and the at least as obnoxious ones who are still here.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 4:08 am

cberg wrote:
You said Breitbart started with Bannon & his ilk blackmailing Hillary with iffy accusations composed from deep web sources.

Well, you've certainly got the muckraker's knack of spinning BS, as I said nothing of blackmail or what specific sources were used. Journalism of any kind really does require better reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, however, so I wouldn't go quitting your day job anytime soon.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 4:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
An no, I'm not saying that Bannon or his master are Hitler or Nazis; I'm saying that if people say something good along something disgusting, you can be pretty sure what is the real intention falls into the disgusting category. And seriously, a guy who had worked for Goldman-Sachs is going to suddenly be a champion against Wall Street?

If you'd read the articles, you'd know that Bannon is horrified at what's happened to Wall Street since he worked there in the 80s, and that much of his outrage comes from having had an insider's view of exactly what was happening. I'm also not sure where you're getting this "when a figure is conflicted, always go with the bad" school of thought; by that metric, quite a few of your own heroes would be incredibly harshly judged by their worst moments and impulses compared to their best. Aren't you the guy who constantly talks up Lincoln's tactical embrace of slavery in pursuit of the greater good?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 11:23 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
An no, I'm not saying that Bannon or his master are Hitler or Nazis; I'm saying that if people say something good along something disgusting, you can be pretty sure what is the real intention falls into the disgusting category. And seriously, a guy who had worked for Goldman-Sachs is going to suddenly be a champion against Wall Street?

If you'd read the articles, you'd know that Bannon is horrified at what's happened to Wall Street since he worked there in the 80s, and that much of his outrage comes from having had an insider's view of exactly what was happening. I'm also not sure where you're getting this "when a figure is conflicted, always go with the bad" school of thought; by that metric, quite a few of your own heroes would be incredibly harshly judged by their worst moments and impulses compared to their best. Aren't you the guy who constantly talks up Lincoln's tactical embrace of slavery in pursuit of the greater good?

Yes, I have defended Lincoln on that matter. The difference is, Lincoln had had a long term goal while already in the White House when trying to end slavery while hiding behind the bigotry of the day, whereas Bannon took those deplorable positions before he or anyone ever thought he'd have a President's ear. Or in other words, Bannon had no reason to hide his real views. On the contrary, he felt free to vomit forth his sh*t, and the sh*t of other hate mongers.
And yes, Bannon is upset over what Wall Street has become. And the Nazis understood smoking can cause cancer. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 11:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The difference is, Lincoln had had a long term goal while already in the White House when trying to end slavery while hiding behind the bigotry of the day, whereas Bannon took those deplorable positions before he or anyone ever thought he'd have a President's ear.

What deplorable positions? Bannon personally, not just randos commenting on Breitbart.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 11:39 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The difference is, Lincoln had had a long term goal while already in the White House when trying to end slavery while hiding behind the bigotry of the day, whereas Bannon took those deplorable positions before he or anyone ever thought he'd have a President's ear.

What deplorable positions? Bannon personally, not just randos commenting on Breitbart.

Under Bannon, Breitbart began publishing an all black crime section. He published derogatory statements about women and women on birth control. Breitbart under him has demonized Muslim Americans. Etc, etc, etc. Even if he doesn't write everything on Breitbart, the fact that as editor he allows such deplorable thing to be written speaks volumes about his own beliefs and ideals.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 12:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Under Bannon, Breitbart began publishing an all black crime section. He published derogatory statements about women and women on birth control. Breitbart under him has demonized Muslim Americans. Etc, etc, etc. Even if he doesn't write everything on Breitbart, the fact that as editor he allows such deplorable thing to be written speaks volumes about his own beliefs and ideals.

So, still just guilt by association then.

Do you think Alex endorses everything that he "allows" to be written on WP, just out of curiosity?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 1:10 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

So, still just guilt by association then.

Do you think Alex endorses everything that he "allows" to be written on WP, just out of curiosity?

WP is a forum specifically for Aspies, and about Aspies. Other than moderators keeping members from breaking the set rules, Alex is hardly the editor. Bannon on the other hand, as past editor of Breitbart, had decided what issues would be presented, and had set a definite agenda. And as that agenda is for the alt right with all their hate and bigotry, I'd say that he who lies with dogs gets fleas. Seriously, if Bannon had decided to make Breitbart the voice of Nambla, you could argue all you wanted that he wasn't a pedophile just out of association, but that would be a pretty tough sell, as only fellow pedophiles would generally give such an appalling organization a voice. Same with the alt right.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 1:54 am

Alex obvoiusly does approve of the articles on WP's main page as probably Bannon approved of the articles at his former publication. Bannon like Alex with forum posts most likely did not approve of everything on comment sections.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 2:07 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Alex obvoiusly does approve of the articles on WP's main page as probably Bannon approved of the articles at his former publication. Bannon like Alex with forum posts most likely did not approve of everything on comment sections.

Articles, of course, are one thing, while people speaking their minds in the forum is quite another. The big difference is, Alex has never had an article on WP that was meant to inflame people's prejudices, which Bannon had done on Breitbart.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 2:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Bannon on the other hand, as past editor of Breitbart, had decided what issues would be presented, and had set a definite agenda. And as that agenda is for the alt right with all their hate and bigotry, I'd say that he who lies with dogs gets fleas.

Bill, where are you getting this stuff? Do you ever stop to think that the people you're getting your information from also have an agenda, and that maybe you should go look for yourself? I've yet to see you make an original point on Bannon, Breitbart, or the alt-right generally, just repetition of the talking points going around the media, where as I've actually been on Breitbart, actually dug into Bannon, and been aware of and observing the alt-right for myself far before this election cycle, and I can tell you that most of what's being reported is totally wrong. If this election has taught you nothing else, I would hope that taking what the media tells you with a grain of salt would be pretty obvious by now.

Just to take the easiest point, you've got the cart before the horse with Bannon and the alt-right, he was never a leader of them or directing them in any way, he let them run wild in his comment section and started catering to them as a constituency because he thought it would energize his site, which it did. He's using them and they're using him, but there is no evidence whatsoever tying him to their beliefs, which are much less monolithic than you think. My first exposure to them was in the form of neoreaction people who think democracy is doomed to failure and that a CEO or king type of government would be better, and these tend to be the most intellectual of people, droning on in the most bloodless way imaginable, nothing like the flying monkey squad most people think of when they hear the term alt right. It's hard to say how much actual racism and bigotry is in the movement because trolling is such a large part of it, and the easiest way to troll liberals is to shout racial slurs and throw up Nazi salutes, with no real way to tell who's genuine about it and who's just in it for the lulz. To give but one example, it was a fairly small group of people that decided to make the meme Pepe the frog the mascot of the alt-right, and they didn't do it out of racism, they did it because they viewed the meme as the property of their little subculture, and didn't like "normal" people using it, and the quickest way to make it toxic to those people was to make it racist.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 3:13 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Bannon on the other hand, as past editor of Breitbart, had decided what issues would be presented, and had set a definite agenda. And as that agenda is for the alt right with all their hate and bigotry, I'd say that he who lies with dogs gets fleas.

Bill, where are you getting this stuff? Do you ever stop to think that the people you're getting your information from also have an agenda, and that maybe you should go look for yourself? I've yet to see you make an original point on Bannon, Breitbart, or the alt-right generally, just repetition of the talking points going around the media, where as I've actually been on Breitbart, actually dug into Bannon, and been aware of and observing the alt-right for myself far before this election cycle, and I can tell you that most of what's being reported is totally wrong. If this election has taught you nothing else, I would hope that taking what the media tells you with a grain of salt would be pretty obvious by now.

Just to take the easiest point, you've got the cart before the horse with Bannon and the alt-right, he was never a leader of them or directing them in any way, he let them run wild in his comment section and started catering to them as a constituency because he thought it would energize his site, which it did. He's using them and they're using him, but there is no evidence whatsoever tying him to their beliefs, which are much less monolithic than you think. My first exposure to them was in the form of neoreaction people who think democracy is doomed to failure and that a CEO or king type of government would be better, and these tend to be the most intellectual of people, droning on in the most bloodless way imaginable, nothing like the flying monkey squad most people think of when they hear the term alt right. It's hard to say how much actual racism and bigotry is in the movement because trolling is such a large part of it, and the easiest way to troll liberals is to shout racial slurs and throw up Nazi salutes, with no real way to tell who's genuine about it and who's just in it for the lulz. To give but one example, it was a fairly small group of people that decided to make the meme Pepe the frog the mascot of the alt-right, and they didn't do it out of racism, they did it because they viewed the meme as the property of their little subculture, and didn't like "normal" people using it, and the quickest way to make it toxic to those people was to make it racist.

Again, if he had decided opening up Breitbart to NAMBLA, would your view be so forgiving? Sure, he opened up Breitbart to those people on the alt right rather than leading or even inventing them, but still, I would have to think that normal people are going to recoil in disgust at the sort of views he has allowed to be expressed in both articles and their forum. Even if Bannon doesn't really hold to the alt right ideology, the fact is he's helped unleash something ugly onto mainstream America, something that had thought to have been marginalized and out of sight on the lunatic fringe. That's why I'm so critical of him.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 1:55 pm

Trump named a person talented at trolling to a key position.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2016, 3:42 pm

adifferentname wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Almost ignored in the news that Republican National Committee head Reince Priebus would be becoming Donald Trump's chief of staff: That Steve Bannon, the man who proudly boasted of his Breitbart.com for anti-Semitism, white nationalism, misogyny and conspiracy theories.

You've been swallowing media bulls**t. It's not healthy.

Quote:
Among Bannon's contributions to the media discourse: Declaring the Trump-opposing conservative Bill Kristol a "renegade Jew"

Nope. That was David Horowitz, a Jewish writer who was making the argument that weakening the GOP was anti-Jewish because he believes it's the only party that protects American and Jewish interests.

Quote:
articles declaring that "birth control makes women unattractive and crazy"

Nope again. That was Milo Yiannopoulos, who was having some fun with published studies into birth control and presenting an anti-SocJus narrative. Not sure how this supports your claim of "white nationalism".

Quote:
advocating that women who receive online harassment should "log off"

Nope. That was Milo again. His article was actually suggesting an alternative internet as a kind of safe space for special snowflakes who can't handle alternate opinions. Again, not sure how this constitutes evidence of "white nationalism".

Quote:
support for public display of the confederate flag

I've spoken in defence of flying the confederate flag. It hasn't led to me lynching anyone, shaving my head or blaming minorities for all the world's woes. Care to call me a "white nationalist"?

Quote:
multiple stories about "trannies" and "fa***ts"

Milo again. He's a self-styled "dangerous fa***t" and frequently outspoken against PC. Using the term "trannies" is an objection to PC culture, in his view.

Quote:
During divorce proceedings against him, Gannon's wife testified that he was aggressively anti-Semitic.

She claimed that he said that "Jewish parents raise their children to be whiny brats". Not sure how that qualifies as "aggressively anti-Semitic". If a Jewish comedian said it, there's a fair chance I'd find it hilarious.

Also, I'm inclined to take any and all claims made by either party in a divorce with a hefty pinch of salt.

Quote:
The site's Bannon-led embrace of white nationalism—not merely under the "alt-right" banner, but of notorious white supremacists themselves, is unambiguous.

You haven't provided any evidence of white nationalism, nor are you likely to find any on Breitbart. What you have is an ill-conceived collection of half-truths and outright lies.

I find it interesting how Jews consider themselves to be the only Semites in existence, which is just blatantly false....what are most Middle eastern people then? They're Semitic....Also before anyone calls me racist or an anti-Semite (lol) just know that my mothers family is Semitic so don't bother.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 6:04 pm

xile123 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Almost ignored in the news that Republican National Committee head Reince Priebus would be becoming Donald Trump's chief of staff: That Steve Bannon, the man who proudly boasted of his Breitbart.com for anti-Semitism, white nationalism, misogyny and conspiracy theories.

You've been swallowing media bulls**t. It's not healthy.

Quote:
Among Bannon's contributions to the media discourse: Declaring the Trump-opposing conservative Bill Kristol a "renegade Jew"

Nope. That was David Horowitz, a Jewish writer who was making the argument that weakening the GOP was anti-Jewish because he believes it's the only party that protects American and Jewish interests.

Quote:
articles declaring that "birth control makes women unattractive and crazy"

Nope again. That was Milo Yiannopoulos, who was having some fun with published studies into birth control and presenting an anti-SocJus narrative. Not sure how this supports your claim of "white nationalism".

Quote:
advocating that women who receive online harassment should "log off"

Nope. That was Milo again. His article was actually suggesting an alternative internet as a kind of safe space for special snowflakes who can't handle alternate opinions. Again, not sure how this constitutes evidence of "white nationalism".

Quote:
support for public display of the confederate flag

I've spoken in defence of flying the confederate flag. It hasn't led to me lynching anyone, shaving my head or blaming minorities for all the world's woes. Care to call me a "white nationalist"?

Quote:
multiple stories about "trannies" and "fa***ts"

Milo again. He's a self-styled "dangerous fa***t" and frequently outspoken against PC. Using the term "trannies" is an objection to PC culture, in his view.

Quote:
During divorce proceedings against him, Gannon's wife testified that he was aggressively anti-Semitic.

She claimed that he said that "Jewish parents raise their children to be whiny brats". Not sure how that qualifies as "aggressively anti-Semitic". If a Jewish comedian said it, there's a fair chance I'd find it hilarious.

Also, I'm inclined to take any and all claims made by either party in a divorce with a hefty pinch of salt.

Quote:
The site's Bannon-led embrace of white nationalism—not merely under the "alt-right" banner, but of notorious white supremacists themselves, is unambiguous.

You haven't provided any evidence of white nationalism, nor are you likely to find any on Breitbart. What you have is an ill-conceived collection of half-truths and outright lies.

I find it interesting how Jews consider themselves to be the only Semites in existence, which is just blatantly false....what are most Middle eastern people then? They're Semitic....Also before anyone calls me racist or an anti-Semite (lol) just know that my mothers family is Semitic so don't bother.

When did Jews ever think such a thing? Even if some do, I hardly think all of them can be indicted for that.