Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2016, 11:01 pm

ok wrote:
Well, there should be jobs in the middle. Remember, most people are at average intelligence, and only a few jobs require a genius intellect. But I suppose it's a matter of where you live, and your point of view.
What kind of jobs have you had so far?

when I was younger and tougher and smarter, picked produce in the hot sun, then later I was in the army as a hospital operating room technician. later still I worked in a hospital labor and delivery/maternity [where pregnant folk delivery babies and recover] ward, as a multitasking OR tech, ward secretary, triage medic, billing coder. that last two jobs were 22 years of unholy stress which wore me out and for which i'm still recovering. I cannot think straight enough to do any job where i'm doing more than one thing at a time, per day, and my wrecked back won't tolerate weight bearing or standing/running for long periods. plus I live out in the sticks at least an hour from any likely job. that severely limits my options as I cannot simply pack up and move, as I own the rural tin can I live in. the hospital skills I gained were in the military system which is not transferable to civilian hospitals which function a different way. I would have to go back to school and the money [or brain cells] for that does not exist.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 1:30 am

BTDT wrote:
I think even the smallest towns are going digital--if services are available to do so. I've heard of guys getting paid to go to remote little islands to connect them up with the rest of the world.

My impression is that I need more experience to get a job like that especially doing things closer to 'Real World' problem solving or coding unlike what I did for college coursework. Or at least a better portfolio or more projects on GitHub.

I figured I would initially have to get some work experience with a regular onsite job and then later I might be able to switch to a remote job.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2016, 2:04 pm

I 've been researching the field of travel. It seems like flight attendants get training after the application process and go through some kind of reserve period for a few months where they would be on call if needed. Then after those few months are over, they can start flying officially.
I also remember sitting through a flight seminar where we learned about some of the planes, what a pilot's job is and what not. But I don't think I can take sitting in the cockpit with my fear of heights and all. :oops:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 2:49 pm

I get the distinct impression that the aspies lacking puter talents and/or business/social/entreprenurial talents of some kind, are SOL in terms of finding gainful employment. our nation's lousy racket of an educational system is not helpful one iota.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2016, 1:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
I get the distinct impression that the aspies lacking puter talents and/or business/social/entreprenurial talents of some kind, are SOL in terms of finding gainful employment. our nation's lousy racket of an educational system is not helpful one iota.

Don't expect it to get better once Trump gets instated...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 2:07 am

JohnnyLurg wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Don't expect it to get better once Trump gets instated...

one doesn't have to be a psychic to know ahead of time that things are going downhill next year.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 6:01 am

Keep the politics in the political threads, guys. I don't care what you think of the president.

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2016, 12:26 am

It would probably be wise to take a look at the work experience you already have, next understand your limitations regarding your sensory issues and what jobs would directly aggravate those symptoms. Understanding how you problem solve and working with your therapist to identify your strengths and weaknesses. Next it would probably good to find a "wordy" person (if you yourself are not wordy in nature) to pretty up and structure your current resume. NT employers respond well to the right kind of language. Do you interview well?

WaysOff
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2016, 9:02 am

rats_and_cats wrote:
Hmmm... you could be a copywriter. There's a high demand for them, and I'm looking into going into the field myself.

I think I could do that. Is it possible to get into it remotely? I live in a foreign country and can't get a real job here (long story).

I'm looking for something I can do from far away, at home.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 5:19 am

WaysOff wrote:
rats_and_cats wrote:
Hmmm... you could be a copywriter. There's a high demand for them, and I'm looking into going into the field myself.

I think I could do that. Is it possible to get into it remotely? I live in a foreign country and can't get a real job here (long story).

I'm looking for something I can do from far away, at home.

how does one copywrite?