Mom got home and I'm suddenly irritable

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SerinaSings
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2016, 7:12 pm

So my mom lives with me (it is my house, she moved in a couple years ago) and mostly we get along well and help each other out and it is good, but I need more alone time than she does to recharge from just being in the same house with someone.

She was away on a trip for two weeks and I got some wonderful alone time, but then she got back two hours ago and the moment I heard the garage door open I could feel this wave of irritability well up inside me and I started snapping at her and everything around me and am now hiding in my room avoiding her. This is common. I don't know what is going on in me (I'm still in a big burnout period, but it is more than that).

Do others get this way? What is going on? I want to be happy to see her, but I just feel like screaming and then crying.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 7:32 pm

Can you discuss it with you mom in the context of autistic symptoms? Because if you snap at her, I expect it will hurt her feelings without that context.

SerinaSings

14 Nov 2016, 7:34 pm

Yes, she knows it is an autism thing, and accepts that. It is just that I don't like feeling this way in the first place.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

I get like this with my mom. My mom can be very loud. She can also be difficult to be around - especially when I was growing up. I don't seem to mind other family members as much as I mind her.

It's gotten better since I moved away, but I still feel irritated when I'm around her. She really pushes my buttons sensory-wise. I feel bad that I'm irritated and try not to snap at her. Sometimes it helps to take a short walk just so I can be alone and calm down.