To introduce thyself or to not introduce thyself

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2016, 6:25 am

That is the question :skull:

I tend to bypass these type of introductory activities, choosing to rather introduce myself little by little by lurking in the shadows. I have however seen that most of you do more or less officially introduce yourselves, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm 31, and I still don't have an official diagnosis. I have been for a while in therapy to treat my generalised anxiety and depression symptomatology; along the way, I have also begun to put emphasis on my emotional blockage and social impairments, and I'm at the moment awaiting diagnosis for AS. I'd say I haven't had the best of luck with the mental health professionals that I've encountered; for one, they don't seem to be experienced with adult ASD diagnosis, and for another, they don't seem to think that formal diagnosis and structured screening is of that much help (well, it'd be to me!).

I work in Denmark as a scientist, but I originally come from Spain (with a stop in Germany to get my PhD). I'm now planning to move to Tokyo for 1 to 2 years, so I've been for quite a while on the move and not really settling anywhere, which hasn't really helped my isolation issues. This forum seems like a great place to find like-minded people, where we can support each other and provide with understanding.

So, hi I'm new! I guess I should have started with that in the first place but, oh well, introducing myself is not one of my strengths :ninja:

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 12:45 pm

Hey Tripodologia welcome. :sunny:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 3:10 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 6:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

ImmanentFrame
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2016, 1:15 am

Welcome Tripodologia!

The brief description of your life, education, and cross European travel sounds very interesting. What sort of a scientist are you, if you don't my asking?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 3:11 am

On my behalf, welcome to Wrong Planet. :D

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 3:17 am

Tripodologia wrote:

I tend to bypass these type of introductory activities, choosing to rather introduce myself little by little by lurking in the shadows. I have however seen that most of you do more or less officially introduce yourselves, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm 31, and I still don't have an official diagnosis. I have been for a while in therapy to treat my generalised anxiety and depression symptomatology; along the way, I have also begun to put emphasis on my emotional blockage and social impairments, and I'm at the moment awaiting diagnosis for AS. I'd say I haven't had the best of luck with the mental health professionals that I've encountered; for one, they don't seem to be experienced with adult ASD diagnosis, and for another, they don't seem to think that formal diagnosis and structured screening is of that much help (well, it'd be to me!).

I work in Denmark as a scientist, but I originally come from Spain (with a stop in Germany to get my PhD). I'm now planning to move to Tokyo for 1 to 2 years, so I've been for quite a while on the move and not really settling anywhere, which hasn't really helped my isolation issues. This forum seems like a great place to find like-minded people, where we can support each other and provide with understanding.

So, hi I'm new! I guess I should have started with that in the first place but, oh well, introducing myself is not one of my strengths :ninja:
I've never introduced myself. I'd like to say I like to let my actions introduce myself. But that just isn't the case. I just don't like introductions

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2016, 11:06 am

Pieplup wrote:
Tripodologia wrote:

I've never introduced myself. I'd like to say I like to let my actions introduce myself. But that just isn't the case. I just don't like introductions

I just never quite know what to write in introductions; what's relevant, what's not, what's interesting, what's too much information... there are too many degrees of freedom.

-

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2016, 11:06 am

ImmanentFrame wrote:
Welcome Tripodologia!

The brief description of your life, education, and cross European travel sounds very interesting. What sort of a scientist are you, if you don't my asking?

Thank you! I'm a neuroscientist.

-

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 4:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Plane!! !

I have found that when it comes to introductions, it is a matter of practice and trial & error.

I hope you get your diagnosis. Having an official one goes a long way towards getting the accommodations you may need.

midas_touch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2016, 9:32 pm

Haha! I love your title. That's a clever reference to Shakespeare's play Hamlet which was of course set in Denmark!

Welcome. You seem well travelled. I admire your adventurous spirit.

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2017, 2:23 pm

midas_touch wrote:
Haha! I love your title. That's a clever reference to Shakespeare's play Hamlet which was of course set in Denmark!

Welcome. You seem well travelled. I admire your adventurous spirit.

Thank you! It's more necessity than me being adventurous, but it has indeed been an interesting trip all in all :)

-

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2017, 2:29 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Plane!! !

I have found that when it comes to introductions, it is a matter of practice and trial & error.

I hope you get your diagnosis. Having an official one goes a long way towards getting the accommodations you may need.

Thank you. I'm still in the process of getting a diagnosis; both the psychologist and psychiatrist agree that an ASD sounds very plausible, but none of them has done (or is planning to do) any structured, standardised testing / screening. My GP has no idea what I can do about it. The psychologist has now recently directed me to the autism society of Denmark to seek more information about how to get a proper screening, since she doesn't have the necessary experience to do that. My GP mentioned that "maybe they're holding back in giving you a diagnosis because they want to spare you of having issues when it comes to i.e. life insurance, or finding a job". :evil:

-