Unusual situation: old crush from college on Tinder

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 10:41 pm

This weekend, to better my chances (and because 25 year olds are more mature than 21 year olds), I changed some search settings on Tinder. While swiping, I come across a familiar face and the Facebook mutual friend icon lights up. What made things more interesting is that we had 18 friends in common, and yes, we both went to the same college. Of course I swiped right, but after doing so I said "screw it, I'll find her on Facebook" and I sent her a friend request. I thought I'd be waiting a while for an answer but she quickly accepted.

We were briefly Facebook friends in college and I had a crush on her then, but we never really spoke (I guess I was too nervous too, and it looks like not much has changed several years later) and we attended different schools within the college. But I always thought of her as kind, friendly and attractive.

Being the absent minded idiot I am, after a quick message to her and her reply: "No, I don't think we did, we might have. I'm totally embarrassed to admit this, but 1) I had a slight crush on you back in the day, 2) I ran into your Tinder profile (I think it was yours) and I was like "Wait, I remember her from [name of college]" and I now live near [another nearby town]".

We sent a few messages back and forth, but I don't want to say it fizzled out. I thought she unfriended me or Facebook glitched when it didn't (I have a friend in Ohio who has a friend in Florida and they for some weird reason had to readd each other on Facebook several times). I asked her to a quick lunch (nothing fancy) on Sunday yesterday and I did hear back with a "Sorry I had a much busier day than I anticipated. How was your interview?".

After having not gotten an answer in general, I thought the door had closed for good. I still think the door is mostly closed, but it's cracked open, so I feel like I still have a chance to eventually hang out with her. I believe her excuse for two reasons: first, she's a waitress at a local restaurant I've never been to and second, she does custom cakes.

Am I overthinking and should I just message her, even if her replies aren't a smooth back-and-forth? I don't want to annoy her to no end, but I want to build a rapport. Even if nothing happens romantically, it would be nice to have another friend in the area. Am I wasting my time, or if not, how do I proceed? I'm aiming to chat with her a little bit here and there and work my way up.