Page 12 of 12 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2019, 9:01 am

Like, ninety nine point nine nine percent of the human population on this planet ? probably including me so dont take my number too seriously

Piri Alchami
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

Nist498 wrote:
I really don't care much these days. I grew up at a time and in an area where the weird was generally just used as a synonym for stupid and was more often than not directed at ideas rather than people.

I agree with you, nist498. In my junior high years there was a kid who was different--can't say what he could have been diagnosed as, but he was definitely eccentric and odd--bud I still don't recall anyone calling him a retard. However, we did use the word to describe ideas or situations.

It's just something which slows down progress...whatever it may be. So, aren't politics retarded??

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 2:14 am

Piri Alchami wrote:
Nist498 wrote:
I really don't care much these days. I grew up at a time and in an area where the weird was generally just used as a synonym for stupid and was more often than not directed at ideas rather than people.

I agree with you, nist498. In my junior high years there was a kid who was different--can't say what he could have been diagnosed as, but he was definitely eccentric and odd--bud I still don't recall anyone calling him a retard. However, we did use the word to describe ideas or situations.

It's just something which slows down progress...whatever it may be. So, aren't politics retarded??

I guess it's like racism and sexism and homophobia. it all depends on whether the word was used against you as to whether you think it's irrelevant. People who were bullied and called the "r" word will experience some level of PTSD and invariably the word triggers memories of past bullying.

It's bad enough Apsies are thought to have no empathy and using the "r" word for jokes kind of reinforces that stereotype.