Page 25 of 26 [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 1:23 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I don't find it as offensive as Spastic I hate that word when I was at the special school sometimes we had to walk past the Mainstream schools and the kids there would chant that Horrible word at us.

Yes I recall special schools were actually called "spastic centres" in the 1970s. Makes me cringe now.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 3:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
I don't find it as offensive as Spastic I hate that word when I was at the special school sometimes we had to walk past the Mainstream schools and the kids there would chant that Horrible word at us.

Yes I recall special schools were actually called "spastic centres" in the 1970s. Makes me cringe now.

I remember when I was in primary school telling someone who I thought was a friend I was going to the special school the year after, big mistake next thing I was bullied.
At least I had friends at the special school one of them I'm still friends with.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:12 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I remember when I was in primary school telling someone who I thought was a friend I was going to the special school the year after, big mistake next thing I was bullied.
At least I had friends at the special school one of them I'm still friends with.

NT school kids all have a scabbard to carry a dagger which they frequently used on my back

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 5:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

NT school kids all have a scabbard to carry a dagger which they frequently used on my back

When Rhonda in "Muriel'sWedding" said "Do you ever dream what you would say to them (bullies) if you see them again, I would be saying yes.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:57 am

I suppose we have to put things in context, first are we talking about those with autism without ID ie Aspergers in most cases, if so I suppose the r word is insulting.

But for those with severe ID does it really truly matter as long as they are treated with equal respect.

I mean using for someone with severe autism with an IQ below 50 is it really going to make a big difference using the word ret*d to describe their condition as opposed to the formal intellectually disabled?

- George Bernie Shaw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm

carlos55 wrote:
I mean using for someone with severe autism with an IQ below 50 is it really going to make a big difference using the word ret*d to describe their condition as opposed to the formal intellectually disabled?

Feel free to practice this - go up to a father of a child with ID and call their kid the r-word and see if you still have your teeth,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 7:49 pm

Aprilviolets wrote:
When Rhonda in "Muriel'sWedding" said "Do you ever dream what you would say to them (bullies) if you see them again, I would be saying yes.

Yeah I used to dream of doing something nasty to my school bullies but a lot of the bad things they did were as children or young adolescents. You can't hold somebody responsible for something they did when they were in school.

One particularly nasty bully who was a pure sociopath to me (in addition he enjoyed killing animals in the most cruel manner) is now a clinical psychiatrist and the head of mental health for an entire Australian state (I won't say which one). Nobody (including his wife and children) have any idea what he was like as a child but I do.

But there's no point exacting revenge or reminding them what they did as they are adults now and for all I know might have redeemed themselves. Even if they haven't its important to let go of bad things from the past as they only serve to make us bitter or burden our mental load.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 10:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

Yeah I used to dream of doing something nasty to my school bullies but a lot of the bad things they did were as children or young adolescents. You can't hold somebody responsible for something they did when they were in school.

One particularly nasty bully who was a pure sociopath to me (in addition he enjoyed killing animals in the most cruel manner) is now a clinical psychiatrist and the head of mental health for an entire Australian state (I won't say which one). Nobody (including his wife and children) have any idea what he was like as a child but I do.

But there's no point exacting revenge or reminding them what they did as they are adults now and for all I know might have redeemed themselves. Even if they haven't its important to let go of bad things from the past as they only serve to make us bitter or burden our mental load.

I agree its best to move on no point in dwelling in the past.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:23 am

Does anyone here have good feelings about this word? I doubt it. If they do, I don't want to know them.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

They still officially use "spastic centre" in India. I was horrified to learn that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:43 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
They still officially use "spastic centre" in India. I was horrified to learn that.
"Spaz" was one of the horrible nicknames the other kids used instead of my real name.  This was also in the 1960s and 1970s.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
"Spaz" was one of the horrible nicknames the other kids used instead of my real name.  This was also in the 1960s and 1970s.

I have memories of that insult from back then.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 1:37 pm

I was called "ret*d" and "spaz" all the time in school.

I found "ret*d" to be a little worse than "spaz"---but not much worse.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was called "ret*d" and "spaz" all the time in school.

I found "ret*d" to be a little worse than "spaz"---but not much worse.

My sister still uses the word "spaz" in front of my daughter.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

India isn't subject to the same social norms plus English is a second or third language.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 4:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
India isn't subject to the same social norms plus English is a second or third language.

English is one of the national languages and the one the Indian constitution is written in.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う