my boss belittles me in front of staff and his boss...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pmccully
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2016, 3:01 pm

So i figured out why my stomach has been hurting me for the last month. My boss who i thought had just been hyper critical for the last month has actually been borderline bullying me. We used to be friends but he got promoted and started treating me like crap. He is leaving in two weeks though. I'm relieved, but now i'm going to have to cope with MORE harassment. And since his has nothing to lose, he has started belittling me in public in front of the other team members. He is even belittling me in front of his boss. My question is: does his boss notice? I don't see the point in reporting his button pushing when he is gone in two weeks. But he is affecting my work ability, and doesn't recommend me for any type of advancement to his boss. I'm hoping maybe the more experienced (his boss) notices his treatment and takes into account i am constantly getting my buttons pushed by him.
Please answer with any advice on how to survive the next two weeks. Thanks.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 3:14 pm

Can you be more specific about what he does to bully you? Is he aggressive or passing it off as a joke? Is it work specific or personal? Things like that...

pmccully
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2016, 3:19 pm

it used to be personal over text messaging when i had to contact him that way to ask a question.
He talkes to me in front of everyone like i am a slow, young child. He also uses that attitude in front of his boss when talking to me. It can't be passed off as joking.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 3:21 pm

pmccully wrote:
it used to be personal over text messaging when i had to contact him that way to ask a question.
He talkes to me in front of everyone like i am a slow, young child. He also uses that attitude in front of his boss when talking to me. It can't be passed off as joking.

So he is treating you like you are stupid. I hate it when people do that to me. I wouldn't rise to it. Let karma bite him in the butt. Just be polite and take it for what it is ... this guy is making himself look petty and desperate. Don't lower yourself to it.

pmccully
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2016, 3:29 pm

Thanks. I've been just keeping my public reply to one word answers "thanks" "yes" "no" and the like. And then I pick up my work and go to another location. I can't believe he intentionally put me in a situation on tuesday that he knows will cause me to break down. And he did it in front of everyone, and his boss. Then he reprimands me over text messaging. Then I have a meeting with him and our boss, and he belittles me in front of him again! By this time i'm choking back tears (of anger and frustration of my lack of ability to do anything), and his boss asked if anything is going on and if i'm alright. I answer "yes". Thankfully meeting ends quickly and i can calmly excuse myself and leave. Then his boss sends me home a few hours later, and i get reprimanded over text by my boss for having a few tears in front of his boss and making him look bad.
I am having personal problems right now, so my endurance is more strained than usual.
I really hope our mutual boss sees how my boss is intentionally button pushing me.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 3:35 pm

Did you have a relationship with this guy? Or did he try? It sounds like he is way too personal with you. His behaviour is crossing the line, I think. But still, if he's going in 2-weeks, maybe best to let it go.
Sounds like you're in a toxic work environment. Can you look to working somewhere else?

pmccully
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2016, 3:41 pm

He was friendly when when he was training me, and up until it became blatant he was button pushing after he was promoted. He just got married again, so if he had a crush at some point I don't know. He was going thru a break up three years ago when I started this job, so i had to listen to a lot of venting. So i've been trying to stay friendly even after he was dating, engaged, promoted, married, now being a button pushing a-hole. I don't know why I was trying, but i dont' have that many friends so i try to hold on to them. But two weeks, he's gone. And his boss will be around more so can get his own impression of my abilities and work performance.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 3:47 pm

It's possible he is embarrassed about his previous venting to you, especially if it was about personal stuff. Sometimes when people share personal stuff, they become resentful of the person they shared with. His attempts to belittle you could be stemming from this as he may feel like "you have something on him."