Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 11:41 am

I'd been idly thinking about an old (that is, March 1959) MAD Magazine article about conformity, non-conformity (and the paradox that after a time, the "non-conformists" begin conforming to their "non-conformist" image), and MAD non-conformists.

So: Are Aspies naturally MAD non-conformists? Discuss. 8)

Edited to add: Don't think I made it clear that that's a hyperlink.

Last edited by DeaconBlues on 12 May 2007, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 11:56 am

I'd say that I tend to be an angry young non-comformist. I feel that I've been cheated by the Canadian mainstream of society which is pretty much Americanized. My anger doesn't always show, thank God. The people who tense me up the most, are "The Under 18s Without the Accents". I was rejected by almost all my peers, between grades 1 and 12. I was either The Fat One, The Slow One, or The Cockney and sometimes, all three at once. I was skinny at 12 and 13. I didn't have much of an appetite, because my uber-Canadian parents were on my case about my accent. I became healthier at 14, but the damage was done. Now I'm a real-life Sid from Flushed Away without meaning to be so, and my stomach is more covered.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 12:50 pm

Gawd help us!

I recall the beatniks and original hippies. The hippy war cry was: "Do your own thing!" I could always tell when a person was doing their own thing as they dressed ad acted and talked exactly like everyone else who was doing their own thing.

Puh-leez, not me!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 3:44 am

nutbag wrote:
Gawd help us!

I recall the beatniks and original hippies. The hippy war cry was: "Do your own thing!" I could always tell when a person was doing their own thing as they dressed ad acted and talked exactly like everyone else who was doing their own thing.

Puh-leez, not me!

Sounds like conformity to prejudice towards non-conformity, I remember people comming into forums that I like and throwing prejudice at the people there (That was all they did) all because they saw everyone on the site as doing the same thing. Nevermind the fact that alot of the people on there enjoyed what they did and just wanted to be left alone to their own thing.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 1:09 pm

Sorry but I took the non-comformist oath years ago.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 1:57 pm

whiteskunk wrote:

Okay, everyone, repeat after me -

I promise to be different!

I promise to be unique!

I promise not to repeat things other people say!

I still think Steve Martin was funny - does that mean I'm non-conformist? :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 2:52 pm

Perhaps, I could soften up just a little, without giving up my Punk Rock image. :)

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:01 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
whiteskunk wrote:

Okay, everyone, repeat after me -

I promise to be different!

I promise to be unique!

I promise not to repeat things other people say!

I still think Steve Martin was funny - does that mean I'm non-conformist? :)

YES! You are now a non-comformist!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:43 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd say that I tend to be an angry young non-comformist. I feel that I've been cheated by the Canadian mainstream of society which is pretty much Americanized. My anger doesn't always show, thank God. The people who tense me up the most, are "The Under 18s Without the Accents". I was rejected by almost all my peers, between grades 1 and 12. I was either The Fat One, The Slow One, or The Cockney and sometimes, all three at once. I was skinny at 12 and 13. I didn't have much of an appetite, because my uber-Canadian parents were on my case about my accent. I became healthier at 14, but the damage was done. Now I'm a real-life Sid from Flushed Away without meaning to be so, and my stomach is more covered.

*pats you on the back* It's okay. We love you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 10:35 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

*pats you on the back* It's okay. We love you.

Awwww, that's sweet. Thankyou. :wink:

Racer_J
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2007, 11:56 pm

(I deleted all that stuff just so that this thread can continue. I keep making those thread-killer posts, sorry.)