Thinking one word and typing an absolute different word

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 9:57 am

nick007 wrote:
underwater wrote:
It's started happening to me recently, but it only happened very rarely in the past. I find it very scary. And I particularly do it with numbers, like confusing 4 and 8. I don't understand why this is becoming such a problem now.
Are you taking any meds? My girlfriend started doing things like that more after she started psych meds.

No, I'm one of those people who just can't handle medication. I get high on coffee. So, no meds for me.

It just started creeping up on me, and became painfully obvious when I started working recently. However, the job is extremely stressful, so that has something to do with it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 10:52 am

I typed "December 20" instead of "December 30" on an e-mail two days ago. I knew I had somehow "fat fingered" the subject line, but didn't think anything of it until I saw the reply to my e-mail. (Slap upside the head!)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 7:33 am

This has happened to me before, like on the word association thread.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2017, 5:21 pm

This happens often but more in live conversations and much worse if I'm stressed,tired,run down. I mix body parts up,say the wrong thing or the wrong answer then have to try and somehow either put it right or explain things better. It's like my brain and subconscious and mouth lag behind each other and the information either gets jumbled,incorrect and completely different. In the context of a conversation that's supposed to flow it's like my brain is scrambling for the right words or trying to pull the right information up but something else is coming out of my mouth.

Misawai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2021, 2:43 am

Hi,

I’ve recently been experiencing the same thing. Just now I wanted to look up an app in the App Store but instead of “Reddit” I automatically typed “Zalando”. I didn’t even think of that word when I typed it. I just kinda zoned out but it felt like I was typing the correct word in that moment. I’ve been diagnosed with autism but also with a burnout. I think the weird experience is caused by stress because I don’t recall it happening before my burnout too. Now it’s been happening at least once a day. I keep rereading all my texts multiple times in case I made a mistake again. It’s really frustrating. :cry: