People Deliberately Setting Off Sensory Issues

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheArronaut
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2016, 3:20 pm

Does anybody else here have a problem with friends/family knowing one of your sensory triggers, and deliberately exposing you to it?

Like, exaggerated kissy noises are one of the worst for me, I get violent urges and I have to bang my head, and my mood is shot for hours afterwards, and my stepdad thinks it's the funniest thing in the world to smack those awful, squeaky, sucking kisses right against my face. Any credibility I have with this complaint is shot instantly because of the silly nature of the act.

Official Diagnosis: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1, without accompanying intellectual impairment. Specific Learning Disorder, With Impairment in Mathematics (Dyscalculia)

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

22 Nov 2016, 3:30 pm

My mum used to, and still does (kind of). She always clicks her nails and as well as violent thoughts I get physical symptoms, too. It's horrible when people do this on purpose.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm

My mother and youngest older brother were guilty.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2016, 4:44 pm

I don't really have sensory issues that I would consider out of the ordinary....but I do notice co workers suddenly raising the volume of the music to deafining levels...but I don't show that I'm affected by it...and as for the people doing such things I only see two possible reasons...either they're trying to desensitize you to the stimuli or they're just sadistic jerks who enjoy watching people suffer.... :x

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2016, 5:15 pm

My dad is the number one perpetrator of this. He'd drive me insane with sound when I was a little kid, even to the point I'd be screaming, crying and flopping around on the floor and all he'd do is mock me. I cant wait til hes dead but I'm glad I dont have to see him anymore, he's a vile little monster.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2016, 5:35 pm

TheArronaut wrote:
Does anybody else here have a problem with friends/family knowing one of your sensory triggers, and deliberately exposing you to it?

Like, exaggerated kissy noises are one of the worst for me, I get violent urges and I have to bang my head, and my mood is shot for hours afterwards, and my stepdad thinks it's the funniest thing in the world to smack those awful, squeaky, sucking kisses right against my face. Any credibility I have with this complaint is shot instantly because of the silly nature of the act.
heeyyy...dyscalculia!! ! I thought I just really sucked at math...didn't know they actually have a name for it... :lol:

Last edited by neurotypicalET on 22 Nov 2016, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 5:41 pm

My brother does this all. the. time. Mainly grabbing my shoulders or whispering right in my ear. *shudder*

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 5:59 pm

My dad's side of the family thought this was a good punishment. Dad would yell in my face because I hate loud noises, or he would purposely make the dogs bark just to see me jump. His mom would force me to hug and kiss her.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 6:53 pm

I had a "friend" who would always hide places and jump out at me to make me scream. Even when I knew he was going to do it, I still screamed. I begged him not to do it, but he never listened.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 7:00 pm

yep, when i was doing my level 3 IT extended diploma course, a couple of the other people in the class used to love finding what set me off, they didnt even know that im autistic but i think they worked it out. for example i dont like being touched, at all, i kinda freak out when it happens. so one of them deliberately touched me, to the point where i think i could prosecute him for sexual harrasment, it was that level of weirdly touchy. and then laughing, oh and he loved finding sounds that irritated me. he basically made it his mission to embarrass and mess with me. problem is that he had 5 other friends that said they'd swear i was lying if i ever said anything. im glad that after 2 years im out of there and never have to see him or his minions again

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 7:03 pm

Oh yes, I've mentioned this before, but I'm hypersensitive to pain, and the kids in elementary school found nothing funnier than to poke me repeatedly and hear me say "ow."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 7:17 pm

Playing the devil's advocate, they might not be doing it on purpose because they don't realize how bad it is. They might just be thinking you are whining about it and making a big deal about nothing. But it is still horrible when people do it on purpose knowing full well how bad it is.

When I was in high school, a boy from the recourse room would deliberately make sudden loud sounds to startle me. I just had to ignore it and not make a big deal about it and he stopped.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 7:31 pm

neurotypicalET wrote:
TheArronaut wrote:

heeyyy...dyscalculia!! ! I thought I just really sucked at math...didn't know they actually have a name for it... :lol:

No one believes I have dyscalculia. No one in my family at least...despite the fact I have documentation to prove it. My family doesn't believe in learning disabilities and thinks they're just made up excuses for lazy people. My brother's kid might have it (same one I mentioned before) but thinks his kid is just lazy and unmotivated and thinks punishment can suddenly motivate his kid. It was bad being his sibling, but being his child would have to be pure hell.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2016, 8:41 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:
TheArronaut wrote:

No one believes I have dyscalculia. No one in my family at least...despite the fact I have documentation to prove it. My family doesn't believe in learning disabilities and thinks they're just made up excuses for lazy people. My brother's kid might have it (same one I mentioned before) but thinks his kid is just lazy and unmotivated and thinks punishment can suddenly motivate his kid. It was bad being his sibling, but being his child would have to be pure hell.
I think we use that area on our brain where math should be to process emotions instead of numerical equations... So we could potentially become better in math but at the cost of becoming emotionally impaired...just my opinion though....I'm not really that smart...i just type what makes the most sense to me... :lol:

Last edited by neurotypicalET on 22 Nov 2016, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 8:50 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:

Your profile lists you at age 29, so I would guess your parents are at least in their late 40's if not older which would mean they grew up around the same time I did. It was conventional wisdom then that people's difficulties were often a matter of choice. Dyscalculia? You were considered just bad at math. Unfortunately, while it has been proven this is often not true the old thinking is still prevalent. This is because they constantly read about people faking disabilities to get benefits and probably they know a few legitimately lazy people and maybe most importantly because these things are easy for them or if they were not hard work fixed the issue because they are not clinically intellectually disabled.

For many like you that do have a legitimate intellectual disability it does make life hell. I feel for you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 12:10 am

my oldest brother [and other family members], when I was little, used to deliberately make loud noises to scare me, then publically laugh at/belittle me for being bothered by it. they didn't know any better.