Why do I find priests are automatically trustworthy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 7:14 pm

even though i just met them?

im not religious at all, i need physical evidence for that, i cant really believe something i cant prove or see.

i went to a Church of England primary school that was very involved with the local church.the Vicar coming to teach a lesson or other things was not uncommon, we did plays for easter, christmas and all that. i loved the christmas play, that was always very special to me. i found getting a different role each year exciting, luckily i never got put with a speaking role, haha when i was VERY little, in about year 1 or 2, i was one of the wise men, but the other two were year 5's! so i looked like a midget king with them next to me, all bow to the tiny wrath of me haha. funny stories aside. i then went to a non religious high school, got very ill (an illness i still have, i just have a stomach pacemaker to surpress it) and started going to a catholic high school (which was WAY better equipped to deal with all this). a priest was fairly present, mandatory masses and all that. i didnt really go there for too long, only about 2 years, maybe 3 if you count going there on and off. (i was slowly integrated, again illness). i dont know why, but whenever i meet a priest (this isnt as much for Vicars or other roles within the church of england....weirdly) i always feel weirdly safe around them, like i can trust them completely, and i always automatically like them. which is weird because im afraid of just about everyone else.

why is this? my mothers a very....zealous athiest and my dad is not sure at all so its not like my parents taught me it or anything. it really doesnt make much sense to me.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 7:27 pm

Possibly because media usually portrays priests as trustworthy.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Nov 2016, 8:56 pm

Maybe you fancy a frankfurter in the fanny?
I'm joking but seriously though... Priests do a lot of that.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 7:54 am

mistersprinkles wrote:
Maybe you fancy a frankfurter in the fanny?
I'm joking but seriously though... Priests do a lot of that.

not exactly sure what that first bit means....but i think i can guess.

some priests are known to do that, not all. infact most dont. but it still needs to be stopped and people need to be arrested its unfortunate that now all priests get labeled like that

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2016, 8:48 am

I suspect it has something to do with the mystical aura that surrounds priests, and the gravitas with which they carry out their duties. Today I am a Protestant (specifically, Reformed) by conviction, raised RC, and I reject most of the dogmatic claims Rome makes about its religious authority (like the teaching that during Mass the priest becomes an Alter Christus, or another Christ).

That being said, there's a lot about the bells and smells, the comforting, repetitious nature of the priestly role, etc, that still speaks to me on an emotional level even though I see no real spiritual value in much of the tradition. The best priests have winsome personalities and provide comfort to their flocks.

I'm no Roman Catholic apologist, but I do think it's unfair how priests all get brushed with that pedophile label when the majority are not such. I grew up attending Mass from a young age, and of the 2 priests I remember in our parish, both were kind and devout men. For many years after he left our parish, one of them would periodically send me an envelope stuffed with coins (my special interest at the time).

In a nutshell, I never had bad experiences while I was a Catholic. My differences today are all theological.

My Official Facebook Page

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 8:05 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
I suspect it has something to do with the mystical aura that surrounds priests, and the gravitas with which they carry out their duties. Today I am a Protestant (specifically, Reformed) by conviction, raised RC, and I reject most of the dogmatic claims Rome makes about its religious authority (like the teaching that during Mass the priest becomes an Alter Christus, or another Christ).

That being said, there's a lot about the bells and smells, the comforting, repetitious nature of the priestly role, etc, that still speaks to me on an emotional level even though I see no real spiritual value in much of the tradition. The best priests have winsome personalities and provide comfort to their flocks.

I'm no Roman Catholic apologist, but I do think it's unfair how priests all get brushed with that pedophile label when the majority are not such. I grew up attending Mass from a young age, and of the 2 priests I remember in our parish, both were kind and devout men. For many years after he left our parish, one of them would periodically send me an envelope stuffed with coins (my special interest at the time).

In a nutshell, I never had bad experiences while I was a Catholic. My differences today are all theological.

i didnt actually know alot of that. i think its weird that religions (perticularly christianity and muslim) get labeled as "crazy money grabbing cultists" or "terrorists" . people can believe what they want to believe, as long as they arn't harming other people because of it, and most catholics and most protestants dont harm people with their beliefs, so why attack them? most musilms also dont harm people, so why attack them?

EDIT: the bits between the quote marks "" are actually my mothers words....she hates religion and religious people almost zelously, almost as much as she hates the "inbred over-entitled fascists" known as the royal family. which is saying alot

i just dont believe in a deity because i cant see it or prove its there, which mentally doesnt work for me, i just cant imagine it really. but i respect that other people can, and i guess they find their own evidence.

my theory is i trust them because of growing up around them and they were very kind and friendly so i guess i just grew to trust them and the uniform.