Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 5:04 pm

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... ation.html

I found this and I wonder what everyone else thinks, do you think mental illnesses will be taken less seriously when they become "normal" because 50% is too high. Society is changing like work expectations so more people will probably be diagnosed as having anxiety disorder and other "normal" behaviors are being labeled as a disorder and being pathologized. I know for a fact most people need their caffeine so they are going to make it a disorder and call it caffeine withdrawal because people wouldn't be able to function without it?

Or do you think it's just her opinion and it's not really true?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 5:09 pm

I think It'll probably evolve into a social spectrum with some mental illnesses being more socially acceptable then others. Sad but true :(

Goardon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Dec 2016, 10:55 pm

the question is are these disorders or afflictions?

I feel afflicted by the belligerent behaviours of the people who are claimed as normal or sane because of their mutual ideologies.

hmm? (:'

Phobic Flower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

I think more people are learning // taking jobs as people who learn mental illness, and people who feel concerned or troubled or more often to get diagnosised now because things arent getting ignored or written off as much as they used to. It's also been studied that teens/young adults have 50% more anxiety than our parents generation.

basically, yea, i think mental illness will be a widely accepted and known thing in due time, with the way our world works right now.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2017, 6:23 am

our society is sick and so people are sick, we need to lower the quantity of chemicals and pollution in our environment

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:07 am

I agree that it has something to do with the modern world being a crazy place, more stressful and overwhelming than in past centuries. Everything is too fast, too loud, too bright, too crowded, too busy - to the point where more and more people are overwhelmed by it all, and unable to function.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:24 am

The world has always been crazy.

In my personal opinion, everyone has some sort of "pathology" somewhere.

The "disorder" occurs when one experiences difficulty adjusting one's "pathology" to the world at large. Sometimes, there are solutions to this; other times, there are none.

I have a "disorder" because I experience difficulty with this sometimes.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:57 am

League_Girl wrote:
...do you think mental illnesses will be taken less seriously when they become "normal"...more people will probably be diagnosed as having anxiety disorder and other "normal" behaviors are being labeled as a disorder and being pathologized.

Ashariel wrote:
...it has something to do with the modern world being a crazy place, more stressful and overwhelming than in past centuries. Everything is too fast, too loud, too bright, too crowded, too busy - to the point where more and more people are overwhelmed by it all, and unable to function.

I would guess the focus will be on the newly-diagnosed who are still functioning the best while the most-troubled people are left behind...and thus will everyone ultimately be reduced to non-functional within an insane world.

Zygotic
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

100 years ago most of the mental illnesses that are acknowledged today would have been completely disregarded, so I don't know, who are we or you to say that the point we are at now is the point where all the mental illnesses that exist have been discovered, in another 100 years we could be looking back and seeing ourselves as equally archaic and a question like yours being totally backwards.