Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

owenc
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2016, 12:28 pm

Hi, so I have taken the RAADS-R test (may be wrong terminology) and received the following results:

Total score: 110
Language: 4
Social Relatedness: 68
Sensory Motor: 20
Interests: 16

So what does this result mean? Obviously it suggests that I have Asperger's as I am clearly above the threshold.

But I am only slightly above the threshold for most results except Social Relatedness. Does this then suggest that I am more of a borderline case?

There is nothing to explain these results on the RAADS site so I don't have any idea as to what this result infers.

Last edited by owenc on 26 Nov 2016, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2016, 1:27 pm

I got 192 in total, and I, too, am not sure what specifically these results mean. Well, social relatedness is quite big to an aspie; making friends, socializing etc. But each person is different, so perhaps you do have Aspergers but on the social relatedness you're not affected too much (lucky!). Some areas you'll find more affecting than others (sorry if this isn't helpful or doesn't make sense)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 1:46 pm

Just tested myself at http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

Language 15 Social relatedness 69 Sensory/motor 27 Circumscribed interests 33

My biggest problem is definitely social interaction and I was not surprised at the high score for social relatedness.
I don't see myself as having a problem with language except when stressed when I have difficulty explaining myself.
I am not sure about sensory/motor . I know I get irritated by certain noises and a restaurant with a lot of people talking so there's a cacophony of noise can make me feel anxious/uncomfortable. Too much visual stimuli in a shop like a supermarket can be a little overwhelming.
Circumscribed interests- I tend to have a narrow range of interests ie genealogy,mental health and politics. Most of my internet activity is centred round those. For years I have somewhat obsessively posted articles to forums and check my RSS feeds and Twitter for articles at very regular intervals.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 1:48 pm

I just took the test again for the 4th time. My score is 187 and, as before, I'm above the threshold in all values - Language (14.0), Social relatedness (104.0), Sensory/motor (28.0) and Circumscribed interests (41.0).

I notice my Social relatedness, as well as my, Circumscribed interests, are well above the norm. Makes sense, considering I spend most of my time alone, absorbed in the things that seem to interest only me and no one else.

As a side note, being autistic itself is extremely challenging, but when, as like me, you add BPD, bipolar, PTSD, HTN, homelessness and substance abuse disorder, one has to wonder why I'm still alive.

owenc
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2016, 2:15 pm

iCANTthinkOFaNAME wrote:
I got 192 in total, and I, too, am not sure what specifically these results mean. Well, social relatedness is quite big to an aspie; making friends, socializing etc. But each person is different, so perhaps you do have Aspergers but on the social relatedness you're not affected too much (lucky!). Some areas you'll find more affecting than others (sorry if this isn't helpful or doesn't make sense)

The threshold for Asperger's is 65 so I am assuming the further away one is from this score the more Autistic you are? I have nothing to back this up with though so I could be wrong.

I'm assuming that my result is more borderline based on how it compares with average scores for males with Asperger's and members of this site.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 3:07 pm

I was not sure whether doing it myself would be too accurate, ie that I would overestimate things, so got my sister to score it as she saw it.

Going by what she recalled.

Total score Language Social relatedness Sensory/motor Circumscribed interests
163.0 9.0 86.0 35 .0 33.0

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2016, 11:06 pm

Greetings. Here are my scores:

Total Score: 164.0
Language: 14.0
Social Relatedness: 79.0
Sensory/Motor: 31.0
Circumscribed Interest: 40.0

http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

I feel the scores represent each of the criteria. Like, language could be part of the second criteria in criteria A in the DSM-V. Social Relatedness is the sum for the first criteria (criteria A) overall. Sensory/Motor would be criteria B part one and part four. And the Circumscribed Interest would be criteria B part two and part three. If you don't have high sensory/motor and/or circumscribed interest, it could just mean social communication disorder or PDD-NOS if you use that where you are if scored high on social relatedness. You need to have a high(er) score in all (or the first two, and one from the third or fourth one) one for an ASD or ICD-10 diagnosis.

According to the site I did mine on, your Circumscribed Interest score is considered the average NT score, and your Sensory/Motor is just slightly above the NT score. Your social relatedness score could be something to look into, since it's close to the average ASD range. Your language is also more NT too. If you feel concerned in some way though, I'd speak to a doctor or someone familiar with ASD, social communication disorder, the ICD-10 wherever you are and work on it from there. Personally, you seem to have more social relatedness issues, but not the other parts of autism, so I would see more social communication disorder, but I'd talk to a professional to know for sure since I'm not one at all. Hope this helps :D

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 9:59 am

I'm VERY neurotypical. My total score was 20 and here is the breakdown:
Language: 2
Social relatedness: 2
Sensory/motor: 4
Circumscribed interests: 12

Owenc:

So to compare yours with mine, we see the following:
-You speak like a neurotypical/can understand language like a neurotypical. So people may have a hard time believe that you are on the spectrum.
-You have less of a feeling of "connection" or understanding of other human beings, and this is a big way in which you are "being autistic"- This is a big deal, so I would read up on this and the experiences of other people on the autism spectrum and how they relate to other people.
-You are sensitive to some physical things around you (this would have an effect on your ability to tolerate many routine events, depending on what you were being exposed to and for how long)
-You have core interests but they are not as classically rigid as some other autistic people, so this is another way in which other people may have trouble believing that you are on the spectrum. It may be easier for you to feign interest in other people's stuff because you may actually be a little interested for example.

Hope this helps, and of course I could easily be wrong. Just my take on the raw numbers.

owenc
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2016, 10:46 am

SocOfAutism wrote:

Owenc:

So to compare yours with mine, we see the following:
-You speak like a neurotypical/can understand language like a neurotypical. So people may have a hard time believe that you are on the spectrum.
-You have less of a feeling of "connection" or understanding of other human beings, and this is a big way in which you are "being autistic"- This is a big deal, so I would read up on this and the experiences of other people on the autism spectrum and how they relate to other people.
-You are sensitive to some physical things around you (this would have an effect on your ability to tolerate many routine events, depending on what you were being exposed to and for how long)
-You have core interests but they are not as classically rigid as some other autistic people, so this is another way in which other people may have trouble believing that you are on the spectrum. It may be easier for you to feign interest in other people's stuff because you may actually be a little interested for example.

Hope this helps, and of course I could easily be wrong. Just my take on the raw numbers.

Thanks, I completed the test again today - going through it with a very fine 'toothcomb' to ensure that I am being realistic with my situation

I got similar scores: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questio ... cale=en_GB

I agree with your assesment. I've personally always felt 'odd' compared to my peer group so being diagnosed with Asperger's was no surprise, I just had my doubts about where I sat on the spectrum due to my experiences with other Autistic kids. I could never relate to them a great deal and struggled with finding a place to fit in (wasn't similar to NT's or people with Autism) so getting this test result helps me a lot (even though it isn't a true diagnosis tool).

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 1:26 pm

Have taken the test several times trying to answer conservatively and liberally. Hence the variation in score but still well over the threshold.

http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questio ... cale=en_GB

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 8:52 am

owenc wrote:
I agree with your assesment. I've personally always felt 'odd' compared to my peer group so being diagnosed with Asperger's was no surprise, I just had my doubts about where I sat on the spectrum due to my experiences with other Autistic kids. I could never relate to them a great deal and struggled with finding a place to fit in (wasn't similar to NT's or people with Autism) so getting this test result helps me a lot (even though it isn't a true diagnosis tool).

I'm a sociologist who studies adults on the autism spectrum. I'm not a psychologist, so I cannot (and would not) diagnose people in the technical sense as it relates to using the DSM to figure out whether or not you have autism spectrum "disorder."

My view is that autism is an attribute. Some people have a little of it, others a lot, still more have none. Other kinds of attributes would be femininity, or blackness (as in American or European blackness only) for two clear examples. If you look at my picture you can see that I'm a white woman, so I have a lot of femininity but no blackness. But if you compare me to another woman, you might say that I'm less feminine a woman. I'm maybe only feminine if you compare me to a typical man.

Autism, in my view, is similar. If you're in a room full of autistic people, you personally may not fit in any more than you do in a room of neurotypicals. In a room of autistics, you may be the least autistic. In a room of neurotypicals, you may be the most autistic. You may have trouble finding experiences of people who have just the right amount and type of autism that you have. There ARE people like you though, there always are.

And I think it's really helpful just to read up anyway. Certain things will strike you as helpful, even if they don't exactly relate to you. Like I said, I'm neurotypical and I read here on WP mostly for my own professional education, but I am constantly coming up on other people's wisdom that helps me in my personal life as well.

MikkaNathan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2017, 9:11 am

owenc wrote:
iCANTthinkOFaNAME wrote:

The threshold for Asperger's is 65 so I am assuming the further away one is from this score the more Autistic you are? I have nothing to back this up with though so I could be wrong.

I'm assuming that my result is more borderline based on how it compares with average scores for males with Asperger's and members of this site.

I did it and got a 195. Worried or not?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:11 am

MikkaNathan wrote:
I did it and got a 195. Worried or not?

195 on the RAADS-R indicates that you are likely on the autism spectrum.

The score you got in each area (language, social relatedness, etc) should give you a better idea of the ways in which you are "more autistic" or "less autistic." The test interpretation is not always that easy to figure out. If you need help, let me know and I can break it down for you. I have my own NT scores saved as a comparison.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2017, 11:01 am

owenc wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:

I find it fascinating that people can get such widely different scores! Mine are

Total: 198
Language: 16
Social relatedness: 98
Sensory/motor: 49
Circumscribed interests: 35

I don't really understand why the options for answers are chosen as they are (never; only before 16; only now; now and when young). Personally, I don't feel that my answers to any but a very small number of the questions depend at all on the "only now" versus "only when young" distinction. Far more useful, for me at least, would have been if the four options could have been along the lines of "strongly disagree, slightly disagree, slightly agree, strongly agree." It seems to me the opportunity to gain more useful information has been lost by the emphasis instead on the "now" versus "young" distinction, which for me is almost irrelevant.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 11:29 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I saw that the "average" scores for neurotypicals on the test were all above the ASD threshold. If everyone else also sees this, then should we question if the thresholds are too leniant? Or maybe there were autistics/suspected autistics who said they were NT who took the test?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 12:13 pm

I know someone who would place very high on this test as well as all the other Aspie quizzes. Unfortunately, he has the patience of a crackhead. So riddled is he with anxiety that he can't sit still for long, let alone complete tests that can go on for 15 minutes or more.