Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm

There is a huge range amongst users on this site.....from those who have never built a PC(like me :oops:)...... to those who have build hundreds of PCs.

Where do you fit on this continuum?

:D

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 4:19 pm

1 :)

I would like to learn more, but it takes me longer to learn tech stuff than other topics for some reason. When I have more time, I will definitely get back into it. Coding too, I liked coding.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 6:14 pm

More then I can remember,

I worked under the table for a computer repair company, they didn't officially hire me probably cause I am nuts. Of course that is more computer repair though I have at least built a few dozen from box to case.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 6:16 pm

0. The idea of ALL people with Asperger's being computer experts is a stereotype that greatly annoys me. I'm sure there are autistic people who can build computers out of scratch out there, but the idea that every autistic person can is just a stereotype.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 4:10 pm

I have built a few, no super gaming computers however.

Probably the most challenging to build is the hackintosh one that i had running for a good few years.

This one was a bit trickier than most as i had to fiddle around with a few things i didn't fully understand such as kext's etc.

Personally, I am more of a creative than a techy even though i have a technology based degree.
I am more into what i can create than the tools i used to create (music/art). No offense however, as we all like different things and this world is big enough to house most types of people. :-)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 4:14 pm

Does it count it you wire up a microprocessor with a wire wrap tool and write some simple code for it?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 1:22 am

:nerdy: :D

BTDT wrote:
Does it count it you wire up a microprocessor with a wire wrap tool and write some simple code for it?

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 9:18 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
0. The idea of ALL people with Asperger's being computer experts is a stereotype that greatly annoys me. I'm sure there are autistic people who can build computers out of scratch out there, but the idea that every autistic person can is just a stereotype.

PC Building is actually a lot easier than most people think. All you need is a screwdriver and a few YouTube videos.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:50 pm

Some Aspies are artists who weld amazing sculpture. Some are incredible physicists who can only discuss their favorite topic with perhaps a handful of people worldwide. And some can play the piano and convince the rest of us that the music itself is a living thing. Most of us though just do normal things. I didn't take the question as being targeted to just FHA's, or even just to Autistics, but maybe I misread?

Over 30+ years I've probably built from bare case maybe 60 or 70 IBM PC's if you include both personal and work, and I've modified, upgraded or repaired many, many times that. The builds are sort of a cheat b/c I volunteered a few times to help throw together systems in bulk for projects and schools and the like. I've also worked on older Macs, Alpha Micro's and a few other oddballs. Oh, and I really got into embedded systems & robotics for a while in the early 2000's. Now I find myself mostly working on laptops, servers and peripherals.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 11:07 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Some Aspies are artists who weld amazing sculpture. Some are incredible physicists who can only discuss their favorite topic with perhaps a handful of people worldwide. And some can play the piano and convince the rest of us that the music itself is a living thing. Most of us though just do normal things. I didn't take the question as being targeted to just FHA's, or even just to Autistics, but maybe I misread?

Over 30+ years I've probably built from bare case maybe 60 or 70 IBM PC's if you include both personal and work, and I've modified, upgraded or repaired many, many times that. The builds are sort of a cheat b/c I volunteered a few times to help throw together systems in bulk for projects and schools and the like. I've also worked on older Macs, Alpha Micro's and a few other oddballs. Oh, and I really got into embedded systems & robotics for a while in the early 2000's. Now I find myself mostly working on laptops, servers and peripherals.

kewl :nerdy: :D

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 8:14 am

EnglishInvader wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

PC Building is actually a lot easier than most people think. All you need is a screwdriver and a few YouTube videos.

Pretty much but there are some pit falls to watch out for, you want to make sure that you have enough amps on the 12v line for any video card that suck tons of power. You also want to make sure not to place hardware on anti static bags, they are only anti static on the inside and you will create shorts by using them. Some people use the motherboard box to see if a PC will post before the case, I say use some type of stand off that is several inches off the ground provided you make sure that both sides are not touching traces on the board. In addition, you want to be very careful about clearance in terms of height, if you get a huge heat sink that covers the board, you may need some low profile ram.

But... yeah you are right, a little bit of research and its pretty easy.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 2:09 pm

I taught myself how to put computers together in the days of BBS's when I was young. Can't be bothered these days, it wasn't an obsession, just a necessity.