Trouble naming or expressing emotions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Safirecat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2016, 7:34 pm

I have a lot of issues with naming and expressing and identifying my emotions. A LOT. I can't understand why I feel a certain way, or how I really feel. I can never tell someone "what is wrong?" when asked. I know I feel sh***y, but I can't understand or express why. Does anyone else ever have this happen? Is it part of ASD? Is there any way to treat it, find help for it, etc?

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2016, 7:45 pm

Could be alexithymia (http://www.alexithymia.us). Either way, it's an AS trait :)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Nov 2016, 9:58 pm

I am having trouble explaining an emotion I have been going through lately, so I can relate to the OP on this. Because of the loss of my father and my mother's progressing dementia, I must attest to feeling depressed during this holiday season. But at the same time I am having a great desire to finish some literary projects I have been working on for the past years. And as this desire to work on them is great, I have been having trouble finding the motivation to make this progress. However, within the past days I have made progress.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 12:44 pm

It probably is.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2016, 9:32 pm

I know of emotions but I cannot pin point them within myself. This was especially true as a child and teenager. I only knew what guilt and pity felt like until young adulthood and contempt very recently. It's funny because as a child I was 100% emotion blind then age a teenager I head words for emotions but never really understood them or considered them relevant/important. Not even trying to sound edgy, I just assumed it was something so abstract/arbitrary that it didn't really matter to anyone or it was just some complete BS people make up.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

I also have a hard time with this. My therapist says it's autism causing this. I know of no easy way around this problem. I think it's something that has to be learned, unlike with 'normal' people...

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 1:14 am

pcuser wrote:
I also have a hard time with this. My therapist says it's autism causing this. I know of no easy way around this problem. I think it's something that has to be learned, unlike with 'normal' people...

When I was younger, I had difficulty distinguishing between my emotions, but as I have gotten older with much self reflection and analysis, I have come to a better understanding of my own emotions. Though bouts of sadness have been a long time companion.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 12:55 pm

I feel either nothing (ideal), amused or anger. I know those.

All else? I dunno. Later, I think back on a situation that made my heart rate go up and insert most appropriate word based on the situation. Sometimes I can figure it out. Not always. Heart rate going up is how I know I am feeling something.

Ever see an emotion chart? They have lists of feeling words and examples. I used them for a few years to help build emotion vocabulary. It doesnt help me feel them but helps me explain to people later when 'I feel internal upset' is not enough for them.

jcfay
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2016, 1:58 pm

dossa wrote:
Ever see an emotion chart? They have lists of feeling words and examples. I used them for a few years to help build emotion vocabulary. It doesnt help me feel them but helps me explain to people later when 'I feel internal upset' is not enough for them.

I was just going to mention the emotion chart. My ex bought me one and put it up on the wall (and other places). I would still look at it and be like "I don't know if I feel most of those things." Yes, anger I know, anxiety (is that one?), fear, shame, sadness. IDK. But I've got it too. Welcome to the alexithymia club.