Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2016, 7:59 pm

I feel I am becoming increasingly stuck in obsessive ruminations (about myself and my diagnosis). I have had a past diagnosis of OCD so must have a tendency to an obsessive cognitive style.
Has anyone taken any medications which has helped them get out of their head at least a little bit? I'm thinking of trying prozac again but wonder if there's a better alternative?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 8:57 pm

Anafranil (TCA) is supposed to be the gold standard for OCD with Luvox (SSRI) coming in a close 2nd. There are other less conventional treatments like Memantine, Cannabidiol or Low Dose Naltrexone which have been shown to treat OCD (simply use google scholar if you want to find the associated studies) if you can't or don't want to tolerate the side effect profile of Anafranil or Luvox.

Exposure Response Prevention(ERP) CBT is an effective therapy to break compulsions or rituals associated with CBT which I found really worked well for me.

Good luck finding a treatment that works for you. :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Dec 2016, 1:23 am

I take the seizure med Neurontin/Gabapentin for my OCD & it works well. It's sometimes used for anxiety in general but it just helps me with my OCD & not my general anxiety. None of the other psych meds I tried really helped my OCD without making me zoned-out & mentally tired so I researched alternative treatments which led me to Neurontin. My advice would be to talk to a doc/psych about your OCD & what other issues your having & let them guide you. Different people respond to meds differently so you won't know how you'll respond till you try some.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2016, 9:09 pm

Thank you :) I'll be sure to have a thorough discussion with my GP, Psychiatrist, and Psychologist.

I think it will have to be a combination of medication and therapy at this point. Would definitely like something with minimal side effects as I'm not sure that existing like a zombie is a good alternative!