The rest of the world must impose sanctions against the US

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:08 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I would say the rest of the world needs to stop sucking America's teat.

I think it's less about sucking at teats, more about living in an interconnected world where everyone relies on everyone else.

Quote:
If America is too big to fail, help movements like Calexit split it up.

While I support this in theory - I think the US would be much better off if it moved to an EU-style system - I think actively supporting it would cross that "meddling in other nations' affairs" line.

beneficii wrote:
I will also say this, y'all's enabling of the United States is hurting us all. You may not have noticed, but unlike in your country, we have failed to metricate, we lack truly universal health care, and we have a crappy public transit system; and now, we have a leader that likes to pretend AGW doesn't exist.

Our expats living abroad are harassed about filing taxes every year, even if they don't owe any taxes and no matter how long they've lived abroad,--the only country other than Eritrea to do this--partly because your countries sold out and decided to report their financial information to the US government, even as the US government refuses to reciprocate and report your citizens' accounts in the US. The US is now one of the world's largest tax havens. I hope you guys feel so proud.

If your countries weren't so intent on propping this abomination up, we would actually feel the consequences of our misguided policies. But because you guys enable our leadership, we never learn.

I don't think metrication or public transit are our concern, they are internal affairs.

Same story with healthcare. Worth noting that "universal" health care doesn't really exist anywhere.

I suspect the tax policy above could change soon. Our Foreign Secretary is a US citizen (despite attempting to give his citizenship up) who has complained repeatedly about being harassed by the IRS. If he remains in the job, which is somewhat doubtful, then expect him to try to change it at some point.

You guys are already interfering.

As long as you guys keep propping this country up, then conservatives will always be able to argue that measures like universal health care, improved public transit, and metrication are all unnecessary, and take advantage of the peculiarities of this country's government system to block these measures.

And as long as there are no consequences for the denial of global warming, then what incentive is there for conservatives to stop pretending it doesn't exist? You have to remember, these guys really believe what they say about global warming. If you guys don't play hardball, then we aren't going to do anything.

And NO, failure by a country to cut CO2 emissions is NOT merely an internal matter. It affects the whole world.

Since you guys are always too chicken to do anything, and because the next 4 years are likely critical to stop the more severe warming forecasts, we might as well as write the world off. I guess we should just enjoy it while we can, then, and stop worrying about things like health care, public transit, metrication, and global warming.

And yes, you guys are partly at fault.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:36 pm

This American believes that all individual citizens should simply stop driving cars, or at least carpool, without expecting the government to provide any incentives to do so, and without it getting rid of the incentives it provides to drive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... ?context=3

I can confirm that this is how most Americans think. Most Americans have zero concept of political leadership or the importance of incentives in changing people's behavior.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 7:23 pm

The rest of the world says they want to tackle climate change, but I question just how willing they are to do what it takes.

Would they rather Earth to turn into Venus than to stand up to the US?