Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 3:44 pm

....and I already feel like quitting.

First of all, I should add that I am currently working as an admin business apprentice in an open office with between 15-20 other people.

Even though I could not have asked for a nicer boss, I am already of the view that working in the administration sector is unsuitable for someone such as myself. There are lots of noises to contend with, such as shuffling papers, phones ringing, fingers tapping away on keyboards and garrulous co-workers. Such cacophonies are extremely distracting, which I believe causes me to switch off. Furthermore, my working memory is truly abysmal. I cannot remember the simplest of instructions I have been given, yet my colleagues seemingly retain everything they need to. My stupidity is there for all to see, and one woman in particular continues to scowl at me for what I perceive is because of how gormless I am.

Whilst it's only day two, I already feel like a wholly incompetent employee and fear I will struggle to cope in any working environment.

Consequently I am considering suicide as I cannot fathom how I am going to survive in the real world. My parents will kill me if I cannot persevere, but it's truly demoralising me. :(

Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2016, 12:42 am

I am sorry that I am not familiar with laws protecting us at work in the UK.

There are noise-cancelling headphones-- I have read that "active" ones are better than "passives". I am considering getting some for myself due to my hypersensitivity to noisy environments. For memory problems, write down all instructions on a notepad. For feelings of suicidality or personal despair, you may wish to consider speaking with a trusted professional. Or you can write to the Samaritans in the UK. Volunteers will email you back within a day. (They all use the name Jo).

Best wishes and don't give up on yourself!

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2016, 12:48 am

I was doing a light laboring job (farm hand on chicken sheds) and I decided to jam in ear plugs because even a vacuum cleaner is too much noise for me and the clanging of metal is literally painful. But of course I was *told* I'm not allowed to wear ear-muffs or ear plugs because I need to be able to hear people communicate with me. Suffice to say, I didn't stay at that job, I refuse to put myself in that kind of hell because some moron doesn't like me wearing ear protection. Apart from all that, the job was pretty good, shame that employers and other employees are intolerant pieces of scum.