nouse
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2016, 3:03 am

http://www.vhemt.org/
Your first reaction on it?
Mine was: interesting...
It is essentially eco related movement.

However my stance is that a human is a very faulty thing. I think the only way to achieve a human peace and harmony is species extinction.

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2016, 3:18 am

it depends which angle they approach it from.
if it is based on the good of the environment and animals, i wholeheartedly disagree.
if it is based on anti-natalism and the prevention of future suffering, i mostly agree.

Last edited by schopenhauer with a keyboard on 03 Dec 2016, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 3:31 am

It's stupid because it's self-defeating. All it's going to do is kill off the people who want to die, the rest of us will keep people. If you're serious about humanity going extinct, you got to kill people.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 8:52 am

No animal is perfect.

We are imperfect, just like all living things.

Why should we go extinct?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 11:34 am

I'm not in favor of extinction, but we do need to bring our numbers down. Of course, most of the industrialized countries are already at or below replacement levels, so the real issue is with countries like India. India accounts for about 1/6 of the world's total population, and they're still growing. I think a modified, more humane version of China's former one-child policy would be a good idea. Perhaps we could take the idea of "carbon credits" and apply it to children, with couples who want additional children purchasing rights from those who decide to remain childless.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 9:25 pm

Ah, the Anti-Natalist movement. Such philosophy can be found in the works of horror fiction writer, Thomas Ligotti, and was expressed by the character Rust Cohle in the HBO series, True Detective, which many believe was greatly influenced by Ligotti.
While some may think the answer to all our problems is human extinction, such a thing would and could never get off the ground, quite simply because all the rest of us don't want to die, let alone see our friends and loved ones die.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 4:58 am

At a certain point I would have had a lot of sympathy for human exterminism - ie. it comes up pretty quickly if you do the math that the balance of pain to happiness in life is usually in the red and that this world looks like an ocean of suffering from a particular vantage point.

Part of the problem is we're now looking out across the entire human race with great ease, greater communication than ever through the internet, global media, etc.. We forget that we're still an extrarordinarily young and dumb race, at least dumb with respect to the kind of cultural software we're still running and the wars and iniquities we have as a result. What I mean in saying that is I think the more we process these problems the more they'll evaporate - it won't be a smooth process and there will be breaches of human rights, staggering backward in some places, etc. but as far as what kind of place we like to think of as heaven or heaven-like, we'll probably find ways to get the world closer to that metric than not when the dust settles.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin