Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,610
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township PA

04 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm

nick007 wrote:
I like Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer & I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas


Never heard the Hippopotamus number, but I absolutely HATE Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer!

Give me Heinrich Schuetz's Musikalisches Exequien, Bach Christmas Oratorio, Puccini's La boheme, Holst's Christmas Fantasy, and Hindemith's The Long Christmas Dinner a time for the holidays.


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,653
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

04 Dec 2016, 6:25 pm

I'm returning to WP just this once to say that "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas" and "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" are two of my favorite Christmas songs. I tend to prefer the fun and silly types of songs over the deep, religious ones.

I can't think of any Christmas songs I actually hate, but yeah, that 12 Days of Christmas doesn't make much sense these days. What's up with all the birds? But I love the Muppets version of the song.

The "Favorite Things" song - I don't exactly hate it, but it really has nothing to do with Christmas. Those "brown paper packages tied up with strings" are maybe the closest but they're referring to everyday groceries, not gifts, and then there's "silver white winters that melt into spring" is really about the coming of spring, which is long after Christmas is over (especially where I live). And yet they play this song every December.

Of course many songs that are sung at Christmas don't mention it at all. Jingle Bells (originally meant to be a Thanksgiving song), Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, Frosty the Snowman ... you could sing those in January or even February, but people would look at you funny if you did. :santa:



drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 3,360

04 Dec 2016, 7:02 pm

Lyrics from Tom Lehr's A Christmas Carol.

Before Al Yakovich and Allan Sherman, there was a Harvard Math Teacher turned Celebrity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Bw2ZeQcHw

8)


_________________
Still too old to know it all


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 95,579
Location: the island of defective toy santas

26 Dec 2016, 4:04 am

jingle dogs [barking dogs version of "jingle bells"]



SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 404
Location: Melbourne, Australia

26 Dec 2016, 4:44 am

I've never liked Santa Baby for a few different reasons.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 152 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 95,579
Location: the island of defective toy santas

26 Dec 2016, 4:58 am

there are very few xmas songs i outright hate, compared to the universe of other pop songs.



Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,610
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township PA

26 Dec 2016, 7:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
jingle dogs [barking dogs version of "jingle bells"]


Ya hadda remind me! Every year, when my maternal grandfather was alive and drunk (since Dec. 24 was his birthday) we'd here this little gem!


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,728
Location: temperate zone

26 Dec 2016, 9:29 am

I can withstand hearing to any Xmas song, even repeated times. With one exception.

"The Christmas Song" by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

The only common Xmas song truly worth hating.



Last edited by naturalplastic on 26 Dec 2016, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,728
Location: temperate zone

26 Dec 2016, 9:37 am

nick007 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
In this thread, we will talk about which Christmas songs are the worst.

I absolutely hate the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It's annoying. It's repetitive. It goes on forever. It sounds old-fashioned and out-of-date. Who gives other people geese for Christmas anymore? Another Thing: Christmas only lasts for one day. What is with this crazy song?


You might like this cover



[/youtube]



Pretty cool version of it.

But I cant decipher what the first gift is. "Tattoo of a ...[something]". But I cant hear what the word is. Tattoo of what?



Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,610
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township PA

26 Dec 2016, 10:22 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
In this thread, we will talk about which Christmas songs are the worst.

I absolutely hate the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It's annoying. It's repetitive. It goes on forever. It sounds old-fashioned and out-of-date. Who gives other people geese for Christmas anymore? Another Thing: Christmas only lasts for one day. What is with this crazy song?


Actually, according to the Liturgical Calendar of the Church, the season of Christmas lasts until January 6, which is Epiphany, or 12th night.


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,313
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
jingle dogs [barking dogs version of "jingle bells"]
There's one of cats meowing it. I find those dogs & cats funny because of how annoying they are.


naturalplastic wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
In this thread, we will talk about which Christmas songs are the worst.

I absolutely hate the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It's annoying. It's repetitive. It goes on forever. It sounds old-fashioned and out-of-date. Who gives other people geese for Christmas anymore? Another Thing: Christmas only lasts for one day. What is with this crazy song?


You might like this cover



[/youtube]



Pretty cool version of it.

But I cant decipher what the first gift is. "Tattoo of a ...[something]". But I cant hear what the word is. Tattoo of what?
Tattoo of Ozzy(Ozzy Osbourne)


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,078
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

26 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm


_________________
Schultz

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,078
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

26 Dec 2016, 8:17 pm

glider18 wrote:
"An Old Fashioned Christmas (Daddy's Home)" 1975 performed by Linda Bennett.


No thanks, I want a modern Christmas instead.


_________________
Schultz

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,728
Location: temperate zone

26 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

nick007 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
jingle dogs [barking dogs version of "jingle bells"]
There's one of cats meowing it. I find those dogs & cats funny because of how annoying they are.


naturalplastic wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
In this thread, we will talk about which Christmas songs are the worst.

I absolutely hate the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It's annoying. It's repetitive. It goes on forever. It sounds old-fashioned and out-of-date. Who gives other people geese for Christmas anymore? Another Thing: Christmas only lasts for one day. What is with this crazy song?


You might like this cover



[/youtube]



Pretty cool version of it.

But I cant decipher what the first gift is. "Tattoo of a ...[something]". But I cant hear what the word is. Tattoo of what?
Tattoo of Ozzy(Ozzy Osbourne)


Ofcourse! :oops:



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,078
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

26 Dec 2016, 8:23 pm

Quote:
I absolutely hate the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It's annoying. It's repetitive. It goes on forever. It sounds old-fashioned and out-of-date.


I agree. This song was written when ladies and gentlemen roamed the earth, who were happy to be just that. I think it should have been done away with in the 60s when things were starting to become lively and interesting.


_________________
Schultz

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,451

26 Dec 2016, 8:52 pm

"White Christmas" or any of those snow songs its stinking hot over here so why do they play those silly snow songs.