Does Speeding Annoy You?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 4:21 pm

Maybe I'm alone in this, but people who drive over the speed limit annoy the hell out of me. Just driving to work or to the store can put me in a bad mood because it seems like I'm the only person who ever obeys the speed limit. If people aren't honking and going around me, they're driving an inch behind my back bumper as if I'm the one doing something wrong. I just don't understand why they can't obey the law. It's probably the easiest law in the world to follow, all you have to do is not drive faster than what the signs tell you to. Nobody has to do it, they choose to do it because they're impatient and, for some reason, think this one particular law doesn't apply to them. Everyone does it, everyone gets made at me for not doing it, and none of them get in trouble for it. Maybe I wouldn't feel so strongly about it if more people got pulled over and ticketed for it, but they don't. They're just allowed to keep breaking the law in broad daylight while people who don't break it get tailgated and honked at. It really pisses me off.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 5:32 pm

You would hate me, I consistently drive three to ten mph over the speed limit, and more if I'm not paying attention. And people who drive below the speed limit are the ones who annoy me. :twisted:

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 5:42 pm

Pisses me off too. I feel guilty if I even go one mile per over on accident. The signs are there for a reason. Obey them.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm

Long before I was old enough to drive my mom taught me that the unwritten rule is that most people exceed the speed limit by 5 mph. So that is usually what I do, give or take.

I very rarely tailgate, though. The thought of rearending anyone ever again is too horrible to contemplate.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 9:35 pm

Yeah the unwritten rule is that you follow the flow of traffic.

Obviously this is within reason. Just because the guy next to you is going 80 in a 50 doesn't mean you do too.

But if you're driving and it's apparent that you are the slow car, you speed up to match the (reasonable) flow of traffic.

Even if it's over the speed limit, you go just as fast, but not faster. The cops can't pull ALL of you over.

(Now, if it's a residential street through a neighborhood, then social rules do not apply. People live there, kids play there. You go the speed limit.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 9:41 pm

I go relatively fast, and do not respond well to self-appointed quasi-policemen who honk or flash their lights or weave from lane to lane in order to keep me from passing them when they are driving below the limit. that last person is typically called a "road hog."

Caelum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2016, 10:09 pm

What state are you from? Depending on the state, they're not violating the law by exceeding the speed limit, as long as they are driving safely. Some states have an absolute speed limit, where this isn't the case, so if you are one mph over you are breaking the law, but many have a presumed speed limit.
I live in a state with a presumed speed limit, so the sign on the side of the road is just a guideline. Anyone in the left hand side of the road driving at that speed on a straight patch without inclement weather is just being an inconsiderate jerk. If you can't safely drive faster, then move to the right, as many of us can safely drive a bit over that posted limit.
If I'm next door, yes, I'll drive that limit. Since that state is a little more authoritarian. It's important to research the laws of the road where ever you are driving, and understand that they are sometimes different from place to place.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 10:18 pm

it has been my experience that the people who complain the most about speeders are the ones who get the most torqued when other people pass them when they are dawdling along in the fast lane. something passive-aggressive about that, IMHO. :|

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 10:27 pm

Caelum wrote:
What state are you from? Depending on the state, they're not violating the law by exceeding the speed limit, as long as they are driving safely. Some states have an absolute speed limit, where this isn't the case, so if you are one mph over you are breaking the law, but many have a presumed speed limit.
I live in a state with a presumed speed limit, so the sign on the side of the road is just a guideline. Anyone in the left hand side of the road driving at that speed on a straight patch without inclement weather is just being an inconsiderate jerk. If you can't safely drive faster, then move to the right, as many of us can safely drive a bit over that posted limit.
If I'm next door, yes, I'll drive that limit. Since that state is a little more authoritarian. It's important to research the laws of the road where ever you are driving, and understand that they are sometimes different from place to place.

Interesting, I was unaware of these. Looks like Missouri is an "absolute" state and has the third-strictest speeding enforcement laws in the country. Good thing I don't have to worry about getting caught speeding!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 10:28 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
Caelum wrote:

Interesting, I was unaware of these. Looks like Missouri is an "absolute" state and has the third-strictest speeding enforcement laws in the country. Good thing I don't have to worry about getting caught speeding!

ohio also, no leeway whatsoever, up to each Ohioan to get their speedo certified.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2016, 4:09 pm

I tend to drive fast, but courteously. I get really frustrated at people who drive slower than the flow of traffic while in the "fast" lanes. If a person wants to drive at or below the speed limit, that's fine, but stick to the slower lanes. The problem is that insisting on driving slow in the fast lane usually results in more reckless and unsafe driving conditions.

I have a friend who gets very upset at anyone who "passes on the right". He is a good driver, but I think he is focusing on a single issue and losing sight of what is more important, specifically driving safely and well. I agree that passing on the right can be dangerous, but there are times when it is the right thing to do to avoid other issues.

I feel it is best to use rules as a guide but not be rigid in applying them since there are times when it is necessary to break a rule for the sake of safety and courteousness.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 5:31 am

Yes it does. I can't afford a speeding ticket. Failing to stop at a stop sign is $250 so I can only guess in horror what speeding gets you. No they can't pull over everyone but they can pull over one person. Funny how all those low of traffic speeders slow down when they see a cop. So is it legal or not if so why slow down in front of a cop. Cause it's not legal. One guy slowed so hard he left burn marks . Bet he got a big ticket.
Speed limit here is 55, but most people go 70-80
On Main Street it was 40 now it's 35 people go 50ish. They cracking down cause too many people get killed trying to cross. They talked about making it 75 on the highways. It peopled just go 100+
Heck even in town where it's 20 people go 50. It's freaking ridiculous, and for what? To get to the stop light two seconds before me. :roll:

It's one stressful thing I don't miss with riding the bus, no fear of tickets or road rage against me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 8:06 am

The US and Canada are tame. In Turkey it seems like stop signs and traffic signals are treated as "suggestions" that can be broken the same way speed limits are treated as "suggestions" in the US and Canada. Seriously, people just roll through red right turns at 15-20 mph it seems. The person behind will lay on the horn if you actually stop before making a right turn. I will never drive here.

Bald-Accountant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

Everything is situational. In my town there is a stretch of road where two busy interstates merge and split. the slow lane is full of people waiting to get onto the other interstate, so in that case I think it is wrong for people who want to go fast to say people going say 5 miles over cant use the fast lane. We would never get home.