Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 10:26 am

Thoughts? I can only find people asking the question. http://www.omicsonline.com/open-access/ ... 7-e188.pdf, Closest thing I can find. That doesn't even show much. It's either low risk, high risk, or no risk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 11:39 am

I believe it is. It seems like so many people with it have it. It doesn't surprise me because they are more likely to be bullied, get misunderstood by teachers and peers, more likely to be abused, punished from social mistakes they make and for failing to read body language and facial expressions and reading between the lines and understanding directions, so no wonder PTSD is so common in it. Plus there are peers who do take advantage so there comes the trust issues and being rejected so many times, here comes the fear of rejection.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 12:00 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I believe it is. It seems like so many people with it have it. It doesn't surprise me because they are more likely to be bullied, get misunderstood by teachers and peers, more likely to be abused, punished from social mistakes they make and for failing to read body language and facial expressions and reading between the lines and understanding directions, so no wonder PTSD is so common in it. Plus there are peers who do take advantage so there comes the trust issues and being rejected so many times, here comes the fear of rejection.

I can only read basic body language and/or facial expression. It seems like there is a lack of agreement.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 4:53 pm

I won't say it ISN'T more likely, but I don't think people with ASD get PTSD more easily.

A common trait in autism is fixation on issues. If something bad happens, we really retain it and relive it for YEARS.

That's not PTSD per se. It's our predisposition to counterproductive fixation that keeps us messed up over little things that go wrong in life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 5:21 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
I won't say it ISN'T more likely, but I don't think people with ASD get PTSD more easily.

A common trait in autism is fixation on issues. If something bad happens, we really retain it and relive it for YEARS.

That's not PTSD per se. It's our predisposition to counterproductive fixation that keeps us messed up over little things that go wrong in life.

Weird, my mom says I have PTSD and when I called her out on it asking if she is just using it as a label or do I really have it and she goes "Oh you don't have PTSD, it's just a label" and she has called it that in the past because I would dwell on the past and how I was treated by others and not let it go. It was like I was holding a grudge. Even in middle school I thought kids were making fun of me and bullying me and my mom calls that a delayed stress reaction or whatever it's called. It's a form of PTSD. I have been in therapy to let the past go and to not have it affect me and to not dwell on it. But things would remind me of the past so it would be like I was reliving it. But everyone else outside my mother called it all ASD and said I misread the situation and got upset and the hallways were too crowded so I would get too upset. So the question I had started to ask myself was "Okay, so how would a normal kid have acted if they had been bullied before and now they were being bumped in the halls in 7th grade and having hands be put in front of their faces? Wouldn't they also think they were being bullied because of their past?" I like to challenge people because I really want to see how different it is from a none ASD person to a ASD person for the same situation.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 12:02 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

[color=00b2ff] No, not as much. Per se, that the only reason other than 1 occurrence. Of a major flashback, there was no indicator. The only reason was, Emotional numbing.
Here's a few links one from a independent source. The other being Wikipedia
Indie Source
Wikipedia
So, It simply cannot be that. You, could claim that it is my social phobia, I could counter claim one of two things. That, instead of social phobia It could just be ASD, and or Caused by ASD, or that the flashback is enough evidence. Due, to aphantasia, I can't visualize it. Though that doesn't mean that I can't be reminded in other ways. Also, Childhood ptsd appearing around 11 (when this started) Maybe even before. Is extremely rare. Since, I don't fit any of the other factors and am familiar with this issue It is safe to assume that that is worth investigating. I'll expand upon this before, I leave to see my psychiatrist. [/color]

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm

Pieplup wrote:
....Of a major flashback....

Thanks. I think that's a MAJOR component of PTSD. An innocent event forces you to relive a horrifying experience as if it just happened.

That little things remind you of things that hurt, that's something everyone does. As to not belittle a true case of PTSD, I'd say the "flashback" has to be severe enough that it's debilitating or can cause a disconnect with reality (believing you are back in the time of the traumatic event).

As we heal from emotional hurts, we will likely ALWAYS have a "flashback" issue when something reminds us of the past. However, as we heal, that memory becomes less intense and less debilitating. At some point, we could consider our PTSD "cured" or "recovered from" because we've reached a point where pain from the past doesn't keep us from functioning in society.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 8:57 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
....Of a major flashback....

Thanks. I think that's a MAJOR component of PTSD. An innocent event forces you to relive a horrifying experience as if it just happened.

That little things remind you of things that hurt, that's something everyone does. As to not belittle a true case of PTSD, I'd say the "flashback" has to be severe enough that it's debilitating or can cause a disconnect with reality (believing you are back in the time of the traumatic event).

As we heal from emotional hurts, we will likely ALWAYS have a "flashback" issue when something reminds us of the past. However, as we heal, that memory becomes less intense and less debilitating. At some point, we could consider our PTSD "cured" or "recovered from" because we've reached a point where pain from the past doesn't keep us from functioning in society.
Yes, but it can also come in different forms. Like for example a event that you remember, reinacting you could mistake it.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2016, 4:07 pm

I came across this one other disorder called "complex-ptsd", which is caused by chronic exposure to abusive situations where there is little to no hope of escape. I think if someone with an ASD was bullied severely and excessively, and they couldn't change to a different school/workplace, they might develop it. And of course we know people on the spectrum are at a higher risk of being victimized by others compared to the general population, so in a sense c-ptsd could co-occur with an ASD; with that said, I don't think someone with an ASD would develop it any quicker than a neurotypical.

PTSD is different in the sense that it's caused by a single traumatic event. I see where you're coming from with this post though.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)