Question: interest, obsession, addiction

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 11:24 am

So what's he difference between an interest, an obsession and an addiction? I'm interested to see what people have to say. Sometimes I find that the line separating them is quite fine.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 11:27 am

I think an obsession is very much like an addiction, but a lot more extreme. ie. I am interested in somethings, but not as much to be obsessed. Addiction is also very similar I think. I find I can sometimes become addicted to me obsessions so I can't function properly if I don't think about history, talk to my cat, listen to music etc. I think the first two are the same thing, with varying extremes. I'm not sure about addiction though.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 11:30 am

I think 3 people could do the same thing but -
if NT with lots of friends they would say it is an interest
if AS or OCD and social outcast it would be called an obsession
if NT but no friends it would be an addiction
:lol:

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2007, 11:41 am

To me, an interest is just that, it comes and goes. An addiction is something that I won't be able to function without if it is not satisfied. An obsession permiates everything, becoming part of everyday life, sometimes enough to get in the way of other functions.(just my opinion, not a definition) :nerdy:

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2007, 11:45 am

Interest is simply a hobby, something you do in your spare time.

Obsession is where it begins to take over your life.

Addiction is where you can't get away from it even if you no longer enjoy it.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 11:51 am

So perhaps the order that I listed them in are their degrees of intensity? Is it an obsession if you hate it, or does it then turn into an unwanted addiction?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 11:53 am

I think if you hate it then it's more likely to be an addiction, because otherwise you'd be able to get rid of it mroe easily. For it to be an interest or an obsession I think you need to get some kind of positive back from it.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 12:16 pm

Would AS obsessions be any different from NT obsessions?

willem
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 12:21 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
So what's he difference between an interest, an obsession and an addiction? I'm interested to see what people have to say. Sometimes I find that the line separating them is quite fine.

Interesting question! This is how I experience these things to be:

Interest: something that will attract my attention every time it comes up, unless stronger interests are coming up at the same time.

Obsession: something that I want to "go somewhere", e.g. a situation I want to understand/control/resolve/create/end, a question I want answers to, a goal I want to meet. When it really is "going somewhere", there seems to be no difference between obsession and very potent determination, and I consider my Aspie obsessive inclination a blessing. But when it isn't going anywhere, I get these small repetitive circular thought streams that are inhibiting and completely non-productive, and that often take a lot of valuable time to get rid of.

Addiction: something that I don't want to "go somewhere", but that I like to do because it provides a predictable routine, a feeling of safety and being in control because the thing is familiar. No longer doing this thing causes a physical and/or mental sense of deprivation, an uncomfortable vacuum, which can be made bearable only by filling it with a new addiction or obsession.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 12:32 pm

I think Addiction is a negative thing that does no good to a person.
An obsession is something that serves some function, but can be unwanted to a person.
An interest is something positive. It is what you enjoy and get satisfaction from.
Great question though :)

willem
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 12:34 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:

Maybe for NT's it's harder to recognize when they're obsessing over something, because they don't have a lot of obsessions other than ones they share with many others and are considered normal/fashionable.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2007, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Maybe for NT's it's harder to recognize when they're obsessing over something, because they don't have a lot of obsessions other than ones they share with many others and are considered normal/fashionable.

Yes, NT's would probably call them "guilty pleasures."

Stupidcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2007, 4:27 pm

I think the difference is in the degree. If you spend a few hours a day on one thing its a hobby. If you stay up until 4 in the morning and/or skip your classes its an obsession.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 12:17 pm

Demonic_Duck wrote:
Interest is simply a hobby, something you do in your spare time.

Obsession is where it begins to take over your life.

Addiction is where you can't get away from it even if you no longer enjoy it.

I would agree with that. People can enjoy obsessions, completely burying themselves in something by choice, but at the point where it's an addiction, they no longer have much control over their behavior, and feel compelled to do it even when they're not enjoying it.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 12:21 pm

willem wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:

I agree. For instance, I think a lot of people are obsessed with football, but because it is a socially acceptable interest, they might not recognize it as an obsession because to spend hours every week talking about it and watching it is considered normal. Whereas say, spending hours a week memorizing Elvish would not be considered normal.