Brain scans dispel theory about stimuli and autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 10:42 pm

A new study challenges the hypothesis that nerve cells in the brains of people with autism spectrum disorders do not reliably and consistently respond to external stimuli.

“Our findings show there is no measurable variation in how individuals with autism respond to repeated visual and tactile stimuli,” says John Foxe, chair of the neuroscience department at the University of Rochester Medical Center and senior author of the study in the journal Cerebral Cortex.

“Consequently, the concept that the symptoms of autism may arise from unreliable brain activity in response to the senses is in all likelihood a scientific cul-de-sac.”

http://www.futurity.org/neuronal-unreli ... 1311472-2/

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2016, 11:20 pm

That is one more theory crossed off the list. They are narrowing down the whole situation. Someday they will understand this better.

-Johnnyh

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 11:34 pm

It's about time. One day the experts will be able to smell the coffee.