Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 3:15 am

I have no gastro issues, expect that red meat gives me a mild stomachache and makes me bloated. In fact, I tried the gluten-free diet for a while and it made me feel worse.

Everywhere I read seems to list gastro issues as a major symptom of autism, only secondary to social differences.

Can you be autistic without this symptom? It's one of the major reasons why I question my diagnosis.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 3:21 am

You can still be autistic without any symptom except maybe SPD or the Social difficulties.Other than those two main traits all the rest are give and take.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 3:38 am

Not diagnosed, but I have no gastrointestinal issues. It's not a requirement in diagnostic guideline, but research shows that there is a higher incidence of gastrointestinal issues in those diagnosed with ASD. Of course one can have ASD without gastrointestinal issues.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2016, 8:14 am

As a kid I had some mild issues and as an adult I tend to have issues when stressed, run down, and also seem to have a mild sensitivity to dairy products and caffeine.

It's a common occurance but as others have said, not a defining characteristic.
Social communication difficulties and RRBIs present throughout development are what's neccesary for diagnosis :)

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2016, 8:51 am

No way, you can't be serious this is a possibility that its linked to autism (i am shocked!). Ive had gastro issues for years (i'm 16) i've had ultrasounds,blood tests, even an endoscopy and found nothing but just acid reflux which i'm on medication for. I'm not diagnosed yet but all of these symptoms now begin to make some sort of sense, if that is a reoccuring thing with autistic people! Thank you!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 12:04 pm

Pieplup wrote:
You can still be autistic without any symptom except maybe SPD or the Social difficulties.Other than those two main traits all the rest are give and take.

Some, issues with my stomach and instestines. I Forgot to awnser the question.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 1:12 pm

It made me pause, first hearing about gastrointestinal issues being a commonality alongside ASD and autism. It was actually a question asked of me by the person who evaluated and diagnosed me - it just seems so detached from anything to do with autism. Then again, presuming it's all at least partly down to genetics, I can think of other examples of this random association, i.e. white cats are very often born deaf, though not all white cats. I can't gainsay the gastro link as I do have a few problems in this area, nothing major, but they were prevalent since I was literally a new born. I would never think people absolutely need these issues to be on the spectrum though.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 6:03 pm

My digestive system is in total failure. It is so f****d up. I haven't been able to have a solid piece of food since june of 2015. The most severe form of IBS-D.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 6:15 pm

I have never heard of gastro symptoms being "part and parcel" of autism before so this is new to me. Neither I nor my brother (both AS) have gastro problems and I know of very few others on the spectrum who do.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 5:44 am

I have had stomach problems since age of 14, sometimes i avoid eating, or just eat soup cos of it. If i drink alcohol, its a world of pain, much more severe than any hangover.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 6:17 am

I've had issues since I was about 17-18 (now 26!). Gastro and severe Acid Reflux. I can't even enjoy a nice cold beer without it making me feel ill. :(

I went on a water fast once for a couple of weeks where I eat absolutely nothing and that seemed to make things ok again for a couple of months when I started eating again. But over time the issues gradually crept back.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 7:11 am

Major hearing issues and constant major infections up until my late teens.

Major acid reflux ... gut issues including frequent bouts of nausea... gallbladder pain now tends to be rather constant.. Up until maybe a year ago i would get 2--3 attacks every few months. Now its a constant clench and when an attack does occur can last more than 5 hours..
I get enough sunlight... I like meat but seem to react to it especially beef mince for some reason :?
Lower abdominal pain, as if someone had tied a thin rope around my waist and tugged me hard. Pain goes through abdomen to my back...
Just to name a few...

Other than that, im fit as a fiddle! :mrgreen:

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 7:38 am

Uncle wrote:

Major acid reflux ... gut issues including frequent bouts of nausea... gallbladder pain now tends to be rather constant.. Up until maybe a year ago i would get 2--3 attacks every few months. Now its a constant clench and when an attack does occur can last more than 5 hours..
I get enough sunlight... I like meat but seem to react to it especially beef mince for some reason :?
Lower abdominal pain, as if someone had tied a thin rope around my waist and tugged me hard. Pain goes through abdomen to my back...
Just to name a few...

Been having hearing issues as well. 8O Do you have like an infection? Whenever I clean my ears, black stuff comes out my ears (far too dark to be wax).

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 4:41 pm

I guess it would makes sense...I mean if the mind is working at irregular levels then the digestive system would also work at the same levels to keep up with the fuel demands of the brain...

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

Fraser_1990 wrote:
Uncle wrote:

Just to name a few...

Been having hearing issues as well. 8O Do you have like an infection? Whenever I clean my ears, black stuff comes out my ears (far too dark to be wax).

My ear infections were a little different. It was more of a liquid, i would have to change my pillow cases daily and the pain was immense...
Dark or black earwax can be a normal color but infections can happen if blocked... Best thing to do is see the doc, he will either give an ear candle or ear wash where saline is lightly pumped into the ear for the wax to drop out...
Another good way is to put a few drops of olive oil into the ear and close it of with some cotton wool. Do this for about a week as the oil liquidizes the wax. If i have not had a major infection and i was about to have an operation , i was always asked to do this 1 week prior to the op.
But Doctor is your best call and he/she may refer you to an ENT clinic :)

Alexinwonderland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Dec 2016, 5:17 pm

Yes! I've had IBS since I was 13 which has been a constant nightmare. I had acid reflex as a child which required surgery and I also had gallstones in my early 20s which yet again required surgery .
I am not sure my gastro problems are linked to autism in my case as there is a history of gastro problems on my mum's side of the family, but you never know.