Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

BTW, I was 27 when I did the long bike tour, and I put yet another thousand miles on the same bike last year. If you know something about tools, you might meet some retired guy like me who would be glad to show you how to use them, and help you find a set. Volunteer to help with the board recycling, hand sanding or paint scraping first.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2017, 10:04 am

Dear_one wrote:
BTW, I was 27 when I did the long bike tour, and I put yet another thousand miles on the same bike last year. If you know something about tools, you might meet some retired guy like me who would be glad to show you how to use them, and help you find a set. Volunteer to help with the board recycling, hand sanding or paint scraping first.

Awesome advice, I'll do that. Thank you :D . Ironically I'm 27 and just now taking biking seriously. I always get excited after hearing cool biking stories.

PhoenixKing6931
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2017, 12:45 am

Wow, I like the amount of attention this thread got! Right now, I have an off-grid location and a small encampment. I don't plan to be there everyday; it's mostly just up to get me used to the type of lifestyle. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone to go off-grid with, so I don't have enough money to buy legit property. So, I'll wait awhile until I have the funds to do so. I live in a dorm right now... where I haven't really learned a thing about living on my own except getting over being away from home. I'm still young, I've only been away from home for five months, so there's a lot for me to learn. I'm an amateur woodworker and I'd like to eventually be able to make and sell things.

I also think handtools are cool. No, they're probably not nearly as efficient as power-tools... but come on. You can't blame me, you feel like a god when you can make stuff out of them. And power-tools are loud.

I don't plan to grow food, at least not now, so I'll buy it. If I may ask, how do you recommend I cook it?

P.s. why does it say I'm an emu egg? What's that system?

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2017, 3:22 pm

PhoenixKing6931 wrote:
Wow, I like the amount of attention this thread got! Right now, I have an off-grid location and a small encampment. I don't plan to be there everyday; it's mostly just up to get me used to the type of lifestyle. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone to go off-grid with, so I don't have enough money to buy legit property. So, I'll wait awhile until I have the funds to do so. I live in a dorm right now... where I haven't really learned a thing about living on my own except getting over being away from home. I'm still young, I've only been away from home for five months, so there's a lot for me to learn. I'm an amateur woodworker and I'd like to eventually be able to make and sell things.

I also think handtools are cool. No, they're probably not nearly as efficient as power-tools... but come on. You can't blame me, you feel like a god when you can make stuff out of them. And power-tools are loud.

I don't plan to grow food, at least not now, so I'll buy it. If I may ask, how do you recommend I cook it?

P.s. why does it say I'm an emu egg? What's that system?

That's awesome just for the sake of solitude. Maybe get a folding grill and learn to make or just buy charcoal?. Having a fire extinguisher is a good idea as well. I'm no expert on off-grid living but when it comes to cooking I think of outdoor grills, wood burning stoves with plates and fire pits like the ones used in Hawaii and Africa with a dutch oven. I may be over thinking this though lol.

I'm def going the hand tools route. Less likely to dismember yourself, no power needed, less annoying to neighbors. That wouldn't be as much of an issue off grid though.

PhoenixKing6931
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2017, 6:07 pm

Well, it's been awhile. I've made a first attempt on a shelter that needs some modifications leveling the ground, some form of heating, etc.

I'm also learning how to create charcoal, but I've learned that you really need dry wood to get it to hold a flame. I'm thinking about soaking small pieces in vegetable oil - kinda like "fatwood" - to use as a type of kindling.

What I'm more concerned about though is whether this obsession is healthy. My therapist says I might have a "withdrawal defense mechanism," where I have a compulsion to get away from people. Given that I can't find a single person in real life that shares my interest, it can get kinda lonely out there. Any thoughts?

jordanalmokdad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2019, 5:12 pm

hello.

i typed in the search box in the top right "living in the woods" and this topic was the first result.

yes, since i was young i have dreamt of living in the woods on my own, and only since a few weeks ago did it become a rekindled dream again.

i'm currently being denied my education at my college, apparently last year i was "disrupting" the class and they don't have enough funds to let me in... two teachers last year recommended that i got support, the town council say that they can fund me for support and four members of the NHS (psychiatrist , psychologist, a worker of adult social services and an occupational therapist i worked with during this summer at a mental hospital) have been working hard to let me back into college, it's just one stubborn head teacher that is not letting me back in for my final year. the head teacher is refusing to have meetings with adult services and it's now about six weeks since the second year of college started... i wasn't really bothered either way, with or without support... it was a teaching assistants and a teacher that recommended i did. i told them "i don't care either way, i just need to go back into college so i can become a creative therapist". i've always had trouble with teachers and being in class but i've never had intention to cause trouble. most the time, the "disrupting" has rooted from stress or being too overwhelmed to keep up with the curriculum.

so, if i do not get back into education, then i am moving too a near by woods for a while, to reset my mind. i believe it will do great benefits for my mental health, my physical health and my well being. i will take my camera and take photos of nearby birds, insects and nature and plant some acorns in the woods, watch them grow, etc. besides, it's always possible to rekindle forgotten dreams and this is one of mine that i have rekindled and it is a relief to know that i have an escape incase i don't get back into education and yes, being away from human civilisation will also be nice. nature is a natural anti-depressant too. FREEDOM!

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

jordanalmokdad wrote:
hello.

i typed in the search box in the top right "living in the woods" and this topic was the first result.

yes, since i was young i have dreamt of living in the woods on my own, and only since a few weeks ago did it become a rekindled dream again.

i'm currently being denied my education at my college, apparently last year i was "disrupting" the class and they don't have enough funds to let me in... two teachers last year recommended that i got support, the town council say that they can fund me for support and four members of the NHS (psychiatrist , psychologist, a worker of adult social services and an occupational therapist i worked with during this summer at a mental hospital) have been working hard to let me back into college, it's just one stubborn head teacher that is not letting me back in for my final year. the head teacher is refusing to have meetings with adult services and it's now about six weeks since the second year of college started... i wasn't really bothered either way, with or without support... it was a teaching assistants and a teacher that recommended i did. i told them "i don't care either way, i just need to go back into college so i can become a creative therapist". i've always had trouble with teachers and being in class but i've never had intention to cause trouble. most the time, the "disrupting" has rooted from stress or being too overwhelmed to keep up with the curriculum.

so, if i do not get back into education, then i am moving too a near by woods for a while, to reset my mind. i believe it will do great benefits for my mental health, my physical health and my well being. i will take my camera and take photos of nearby birds, insects and nature and plant some acorns in the woods, watch them grow, etc. besides, it's always possible to rekindle forgotten dreams and this is one of mine that i have rekindled and it is a relief to know that i have an escape incase i don't get back into education and yes, being away from human civilisation will also be nice. nature is a natural anti-depressant too. FREEDOM!

I did it for a couple of years and I think that it helped me over my PTSD. I was a vegetable picker for a while and I bought a camper van so that I could go directly to the field where we would be working, I wanted to avoid picking up any other pickers that didn't drive too, so a van seemed like a good idea. Anyway the van eventually broke and I had to sell it for parts. I didn't have anywhere to live so I bought a 22x18ft canvas military tarp and made a tent with hazel poles, making sure that the tarp was taught. I lined the tent with blankets, bought a woodburner and made a base with wooden pallets and carpet. I found a new job on the local market, helping out on a furniture stall and settled into my new home. I used to spend a couple of nights with friends most weeks and had saunas at the swimming pool. It was really warm and I used to go to sleep nice and early. I put the tent somewhere out of the way so nobody found it and moved a few times over two years.
I also lived in a wooden house in Wales (UK) for 4 years and had a borehole for water and a generator for electricity, and I still spend the summers living in a trailer with a solar panel. I'm not too keen on the idea of owning a house and next week I'm off camping for a couple of weeks. I did the same last month, just head off with a bike and a tent and make a trip to a friends house, spending a 2 weeks camping along the way.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:14 pm

Fantasized about it

Financially can't afford

Don't know how to cook, fix house

Socially and emotionally ok

Especially with internet

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:13 am

It sounds idyllic. I'm not sure if it's for me personally. Those tiny houses look so exposed and open. I like the privacy that apartment living brings. If you don't want to see anyone, you just don't buzz them in/answer the door after they sneak in.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2019, 10:30 am

PhoenixKing6931 wrote:
Hey, are there any other aspies around who have a weird obsession with the ability to live in the woods to have space to get away from people and work on your own projects?

Me. And it will happen.

PhoenixKing6931
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2019, 3:35 pm

Haha, I never would have known that this thread had been reactivated unless I checked my spambox within the next two weeks. I can't believe it's been two years since I posted this.

It's turned into more of an abstract goal - a thing to work towards - if I am able. Two years ago, I had no idea what I was doing, and I still don't have the skills to be able to just leave. Also, I found that escaping people altogether is rather impossible; we all need social interaction. At least, I think. Maybe there are a few rare people out there who don't need human contact.

I also found that putting your eggs into one basket when it comes to finding value in yourself can be depressing if it is uncertain that the one goal you go after is hard to reach. I'm looking at maybe taking a job as a woodworking apprentice; that would put me in that general direction.

Jordanalmokdad, I'm sorry that school isn't working out for you :( . Do you have any cool plans for the woods? Any particular location? I would recommend finding advice from people who have done this before - I tried to do it alone, and I didn't know how to solve problems when they came up.

That's really cool domineekee. Where did you learn how to camp? Because I haven't figured it out yet. Is it just a type of skill that's not within my current set, so I don't know where I would begin.

MagicKnight, what sorts of ideas do you have?

RussD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2019, 5:09 pm

I owned a house off the grid for a year. The hardest part for me was dealing with the bumpy dirt road I had to drive on to get to my house. I’ll definitely live off the grid again as long as I don’t have to drive on a bumpy ass dirt road.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 6:45 pm

That's probably not going to happen.

Being off the grid.....means there's lots of dirt roads around....