Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2007, 7:34 pm

How does this work?

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2007, 8:00 pm

I can only share my observations and experience:it sometimes seems to me that "NT" creativity involves more "outside in" thinking,where the creative process is stimulated and measured primarily by external influences and standards.Conversely,"AS" creativity is possibly more "inside out",where the "AS" mind itself has as much or more overall effect on the creative work than external influences;that is "AS" art says as much or more about the artist as it does the culture it exists in.

BUT,I should say,I really don't think it's easy(or even possible)to entirely delineate the creative process.Many,many "NT" artists are incredibly creative and sophisticated,and many "AS" artists are not.It's possible that the duality I noted above is more for my own mental organization and convenience than any distinct objective reality.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2007, 8:05 pm

I would venture to say that a person with Asperger's would approach creativity with out-of-box thinking because they have never been in so-called box to begin with. They would create works of art to please their own aesthetic sense rather than that of others. And because they are ingenious, inventive, and uniquely resourceful, they would arrive at discoveries and conclusions by methods that might not occur or be readily obvious to NT thinkers. I think their creativeness and ability to solve problems come from an obsessive motivationial source, unlike NT's who are more often than not, motivated by public opinion, power, wealth etc. I have no opinions about the creativity of ADHD people because I am not one and have never given it any thought. I create because I need to and I don't really care what other's think of whatever it is I have created or will create. I don't care about what is marketable, I only care about being happy with what I create and not resting until I have solved a problem that I need to solve.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

13 May 2007, 9:47 pm

Well I can not answer the question other than I am very inattentive ADHD. What that means on a neurological level is certain parts of the brain run slower and produce alot more theta waves. Theta waves are typically associated with daydreams or real dreams.

Your thoughts can move wildly making unknown connections to things (creativity) in a theta state. That slowness of the brain makes you bored quite often so you try to stimulate your brain out of the theta state which usually does not work but in the process you come up with alot of creative solutions to the boredom.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2007, 10:39 pm

well i have no idea, about how the other half live but i can hyperfocus on something wich usually only happens to me when i paint. its terrible son its like trying to cross a street and not being able to use yer feet to get across, i spose you could always use a car or whatever but still

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 2:55 am

not sure if it's like this for everyone, but I am very creative... unfortunately it doesn't branch out a whole lot. I love to draw and write, but my writing is usually kind of the same stuff over and over, worded differently, new twists once in a while, but the same type of words, same basic story, same basic hopes, etc.

When it comes to drawing, I used to think I was really really good, lol, but now I realized I'm really good (well, I think I am and a lot of people have commented in the past) at re-creating other things I have seen... I come up with my own designs once in a while, but for the most part, I can only do well on things I'm looking at. I can draw just about anything if I have something to look off of, I add other things, a few of my own touches, but really it's just one big picture of little things I found elsewhere, meshed together.

One of my NT friends draws exceptionally well, but she just randomly thinks of things and draws them-she cannot duplicate something she sees.

I doubt it's the case for everyone, as no 2 people see things the same way and all, but it's kind of interesting.

The way we go about it is also very different. She will start to draw and add things kind of willy-nilly, while I just stare at a blank page for an hour to figure out exactly where I need to start, where my lines need to hit in order for things to look right, etc. She's not nearly as focused either-she takes breaks and all, I tend to zone right in and instantly become a perfectionist with it, or at least try.

Not sure if this answers in any way shape or form what you are asking, lol.