Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:24 am

Jensen wrote:
Splinter-skills are super skills in one particular area. They show in the jagged skill/intelligence curve in autistic individuals at many levels.
I was hyperlexic too - ate a book in 3 hours, when I was 9.
Math - well - quite another matter :roll:

At 3-4 years, however, I could memorize a Mozart concerto and see it as a graphic score, while I sang along with the voices and I could shift between the voices via different intervals - according to the limits of my voice.
That was a little more advanced than usual.

The psychologist called it a savant trait, type "splinterskill". Not unusual in aspies.

In a few days its the birthday of Ludwig von Beethoven. He shoud be 250 years on next wednesday.
Beethoven (just like Mozart as Jensen write in his post) have also something special that people some discribe as a 'savant syndrome' At least, very special that keep composing after he did get deaf.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:45 am

I just received an invitation to celebrate his birthday with some friends. Yeah! :heart: with apple-slices and glögg.
I might bring a Mosel/Rhine wine - which he loved.
We are together on Christmas eve as well and I suspect, there will be a certain amount of Beethoven CDs under the tree this year :) ....and some Bruckner.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:52 pm

I'm a very good artist. I've done quite a few very realistic drawings of my favourite rock n roll bands in the past.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 3:29 pm

Have a nice and safe Beethoven meeting Jensen. The pianist Erik Satie also had a special brain. Actually, every true artist has something that the large group does not have. Einstein is said to be very good at playing the violin. Artist Vincent van Gogh was also very special, but i very much doubt whether he was happy. What is a strict definition of a savant? And the prefix 'idiot' doesn't really sound friendly. From a savant's perspective, the masses may be strange. Actually, I think a savant doenst mind what the herd thinks and does. I think they live much more autonomously than the average person with autism.

Beethoven for Beginners :wink:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 5:56 pm

I am pretty sure, you are right, Velociraptor :)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 3:02 am

Today its also the birthday of Wassily Kandinsky.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 3:29 am

Eise Eisinga
The orrery he built in his living room

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 3:07 am

Jarl van Eycke

Flemish warehouse worker cracks 350-year-old code
https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belg ... -old-code/

"Jarl Van Eycke is just a genius"
"He himself avoids all attention and is very difficult to find"
"The unknown and extremely withdrawn Flemish Jarl Van Eycke turns out to be one of the best decoders in the world"
"He doesn't have any profile on the internet and even fewer points of contact"
"he is very contact- and even more shy of the media. just to be in the spotlight and even more so to be called a genius "
"Have you ever seen the movie Rain Man with Dustin Hofmann :?: "

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 7:51 am

I nominate Robert Persig, author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and "Lila," which answers the queries left over from his first book.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 5:50 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Isn't savant-ism something usually more associated with lower functioning autism?

That's the stereotype, but I don't think it's true. Lower functioning savants just get more attention because the contrast between their strengths and weaknesses is more dramatic.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 6:02 pm

Ettina wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Isn't savant-ism something usually more associated with lower functioning autism?

...because the contrast between their strengths and weaknesses is more dramatic.

That is actually the definition of savant, where the skill is so much greater than the perceived disability. Being really good at something does not make you a savant--it might make you a genius, though.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 6:06 pm

And Kodi Lee:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 2:13 pm

blackicmenace wrote:

A beautifull qoute from the savant Daniel Tammet.
Because Tammet know so many languages he must have many birds in his head to sing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 2:58 pm

I looked up "splinter skill" but I still don't understand what it means. Can somebody give me some examples?

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 8:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
I looked up "splinter skill" but I still don't understand what it means. Can somebody give me some examples?

For the first time that I hear the term 'splinter skill'. I think savants have a very dysharmonic profile in terms of their skills. Being extremely good at one certain thing, and having more difficulty in other areas. The artist Stephen Wiltshire is also very special in his skill.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:02 am