Stop donating food to food banks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 2:09 pm

Give them money instead. It goes a LOT further. I've known this for years and give them cash instead, but apparently this PSA video is necessary, so, I'm sharing it.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/nation ... story.html

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 5:57 pm

I was in a homeless shelter for about a week and they would literally throw food in the trash if they had a surplus of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:47 pm

I also think it's a better idea to donate money as well. That way, people can buy their own food.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:24 pm

Homeless shelters are occasionally given food that would have soon gone into the garbage pail anyway where that is not the case with food banks. Also, cash given to a food bank is spent by the food bank to purchase food, not given to needy people so they can purchase their own food.

It is true that cash can go much farther for a food bank than a truckload of creamed corn, but here is some additional perspective: For the Love of God, We Will Take Your Canned Goods!

Bottom line? Know what is actually needed and donate accordingly if you might prefer donating cans rather than cash.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:50 pm

They also need brown paper bags to put the food in.Ours asks people to bring paper bags for use since they have to purchase those.Extra garden produce,eggs and venison from hunting season are also welcomed.
Walmart does donate baked goods and other items that are about to or just have expired to our food room.It would be tossed into the trash if not donated.
Wish the big pet stores would get onboard and donate the expired pet food and supplies.A relative went dumpster diving in one of their bins,said they ripped the dog food bags open and dumped them out where they couldn't be used.Shameful,that could go to a pet shelter or a food room.Poor people have pets and food can get pricey if you have several animals.As long as the food is dry and not moldy it's still good.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 5:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Wish the big pet stores would get onboard and donate the expired pet food and supplies.A relative went dumpster diving in one of their bins,said they ripped the dog food bags open and dumped them out where they couldn't be used.Shameful,that could go to a pet shelter or a food room.Poor people have pets and food can get pricey if you have several animals.As long as the food is dry and not moldy it's still good.

PetsMart and PetCo are too concerned with making money and will literally throw live animals in the trash.

I volunteered at a vet's office and they had an area where people could donate dog/cat food and at the end of the week it was picked up by someone from a local food bank.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:31 am

donate any money, any food, any time. at my local food bank we have stuff donated from markets and individuals/drives/the like, then monetary donations, and also a few gardens. i volunteer in the gardens and we always need more people. almost 90% of the people who volunteer anywhere within the food bank in my town are people who also are patrons of the food bank.