fight or flight. possible that some choose to fight?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 7:54 pm

I am hypervigilant
hypersensitive to everything
sound, movement, people looking, mechanical noise etc.

i have read that generalised anxiety is caused by the parasympathetic nervous system stuck in the fight and flight
in many cases, i believe that most people choose flight out of the two choices
i figure that this is why some Asperger's don't like looking in people's eyes, because it causes them stress and a flight reaction.

i however stare people in the eye, which i usually do so in a focussed and perhaps forced manner.
I was thinking that perhaps this is because I am stuck in Fight mode rather than flight.
I grew up from age 11 doing karate, fighting. at the age of 8, i also started 100cc go kart racing, where again
you need to keep your eyes open and on the action.

Even if it did overwhelm me. I think that i am now stuck in fight and flight mode permanently so much that i am hypervigilant and stare people in the eye. which i think makes most people uncomfortable, as if i am a serial killer or something...

(i trained myself to stare straight into the eyes of my opponent. This is done partly so i can get full view of all my opponents limbs etc. This is also done so as to intimidate my opponent. Psyche him out so to speak. Which i think probably works quiet well considering i am an aspo, so probably makes them worry that i look a bit nuts.. sometimes nuts works in your favour)...
:-)

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 8:13 pm

My dad is most definitely aspie, and he is in permanent 'fight' mode too.

He takes great pride in his stares/glares/eye contact, as he knows the effect that they have.

The fight mode comes from his upbringing, he had to be tough and he likes to feel intimidating, though nowadays he really needn't be.

peopleusedtospitatme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

Ive been diagnosed as having aspergers and im the total opposite.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 8:27 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
I am hypervigilant
hypersensitive to everything
sound, movement, people looking, mechanical noise etc.

i have read that generalised anxiety is caused by the parasympathetic nervous system stuck in the fight and flight
in many cases, i believe that most people choose flight out of the two choices
i figure that this is why some Asperger's don't like looking in people's eyes, because it causes them stress and a flight reaction.

i however stare people in the eye, which i usually do so in a focussed and perhaps forced manner.
I was thinking that perhaps this is because I am stuck in Fight mode rather than flight.
I grew up from age 11 doing karate, fighting. at the age of 8, i also started 100cc go kart racing, where again
you need to keep your eyes open and on the action.

Even if it did overwhelm me. I think that i am now stuck in fight and flight mode permanently so much that i am hypervigilant and stare people in the eye. which i think makes most people uncomfortable, as if i am a serial killer or something...

(i trained myself to stare straight into the eyes of my opponent. This is done partly so i can get full view of all my opponents limbs etc. This is also done so as to intimidate my opponent. Psyche him out so to speak. Which i think probably works quiet well considering i am an aspo, so probably makes them worry that i look a bit nuts.. sometimes nuts works in your favour)...
:-)

This is inaccurate--the anxiety response is actually "fight, flight, or freeze." Many people (and animals) freeze in response to threat in the hopes that lack of movement will deter a predator and make them lose interest. People talk about the "fight or flight" response but always leave out the third common reaction which is to freeze.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 7:38 am

racheypie666 wrote:
My dad is most definitely aspie, and he is in permanent 'fight' mode too.

He takes great pride in his stares/glares/eye contact, as he knows the effect that they have.

The fight mode comes from his upbringing, he had to be tough and he likes to feel intimidating, though nowadays he really needn't be.

I can relate. I grew up in a very violent school, and I have some foot issues that amount to me being a very poor runner. As such, "fight" was pretty much the only option that was ever viable. Most of my self-control was spent first avoiding throwing the first punch, second trying not to maim the aggressor du jour.

Later in life, I took up martial arts and some other activities with a focus on self-control and focus. I think I have a rather firm grip on my fight impulse, but I still spend more energy reigning in the impulse to fight than I ever spent on actually fleeing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:11 pm

I was often in "fight or flight"mode. Less so since I got diagnosed because I am more knowledgeable and accepting of how things are.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:29 pm

I like the slogan from the "Survivor" TV show:

Outwit, Outplay, Outlast 8)

... and

"Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to."