Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 2:18 pm

To me, one of the most realistic definitions for someone with Aspergers is: "it is not severe enough to be considered a disability but a person has too many oddities and quirks to be considered normal" That definition really resonated with me; do you have any definitions that realistically portrays what Aspergers means to you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 2:27 pm

I would say the above is MOSTLY true.

There are some people with Asperger's who have "disabilities" in the sense of being unable to find and maintain employment. This fact is a major hindrance to a decent life for many who are forced to endure this state of affairs; thus, it can be said to be, in a way, a major handicap.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 4:03 pm

I am unable to live on my own, have significant social disabilities including motor planning. I guess "mild-moderate" autism.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 4:20 pm

I have what could be referred to as aspergers although from my small knowledge on the subject I believe this is now comes under the umbrella of Autism Spectrum Condition.

I think that part of the reason why Aspergers was brought under the umbrella is so that the clinical psychologist could assess the group of conditions and symptoms and examine as to how much these conditions affect the individual in everyday life rather than per disorder.

For example. Two people who may have the same basic diagnosis may have completely different challenges in life, where one may manage without too much bother, while the other may struggle so much with some areas that it is a significant disability.

This is why i believe all autism conditions are now branded under the single umbrella and given a label to describe their severity.