House Passes Bill Allowing Government to Microchip Citizens

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 1:41 pm

ActivistPost.com wrote:
House Passes Bill Allowing Government to Microchip Citizens With “Mental Disabilities”
December 13, 2016

Six years ago, NBC Nightly News boldly predicted that all Americans would be fitted with RFID microchips by the year 2017. Though, at the time, NBC’s prediction seemed far-fetched, the House recently passed a bill that would bring a microchipped populace closer to reality before year’s end.

Last Thursday, the House passed HR 4919, also known as Kevin and Avonte’s Law, which would allow the US attorney general to award grants to law enforcement for the creation and operation of “locative tracking technology programs.” Though the program’s mission is to find “individuals with forms of dementia or children with developmental disabilities who have wandered from safe environments,” it provides no restriction on the tracking program’s inclusion of other individuals. The bill would also require the attorney general to work with the secretary of health and human services and unnamed health organizations to establish the “best practices” for the use of tracking devices.

Those in support of the legislation maintain that such programs could prevent tragedies where those with mental or cognitive disabilities wandered into dangerous circumstances. Yet, others have called these good intentions a “Trojan horse” for the expansion of a North American police state as the bill’s language could be very broadly interpreted....

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/12/hou ... ities.html

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

ASAN Statement

Quote:
Tracking device advocates are flooding Senator Schumer’s office tonight asking him to push out Kevin and Avonte’s Law TONIGHT - which funds tracking devices for kids with disabilities. Just days ago, the House added language that would allow the police to use these tracking devices even outside the context of missing-persons cases. The House language would also scrap critical community-policing grants that benefit low-income communities and communities of color.

We need to make clear that we will never accept this assault on our civil rights and on the safety of our communities. Call Senator Schumer and your Senators NOW and tell him not to pass Avonte’s Law!

Senator Schumer’s office is (202) 224-6542. Find your own Senator’s contact info at http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact .

Script: “I, [Name], from [State], oppose Avonte’s Law. It would violate our privacy and take away funding for important community safety programs. Thank you for taking the time to hear from me.”

If you can’t call, you can ask someone to call on your behalf, or email Schumer and your Senators using their contact information here: http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact .

My letter to my Senators one of whom is Schumer
Quote:
, *****, ****** oppose Kevin and Avonte's Law in its current form. While this law was created with good intentions the road to hell is paved with good intentions. The law as currently written would allow the use of these tracking devices outside of wandering cases. The proposed law in its current form is yet another step towered the slippery slope to an Orwellian security state that we have been on since 9/11. It is also a form of profiling. If a law was proposed to put tracking devices on black young males because they have a propensity for violent crime the reaction would be immediate and intense from most corners from our divided political spectrum. But when done to autistic people it is ok. No, it is not. Autistic young people have as much right to protections as any other minority group

Thank you for taking the time to hear from me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 7:50 pm

Well written! I didn't know that ASAN had spoken out on this matter.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 8:04 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Well written! I didn't know that ASAN had spoken out on this matter.

Thank you

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 2:57 am

Snopes - Bill does not "microchip" anyone

Ari Neeman column

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Dec 2016, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 4:24 am

Chips are idealy implanted for insurance-accountability, they'll be forwarded in that matter, or you'll have no rights.
Leading the way: UN-UNHCR, 12 million living in less or more permanent camps constitute experimental fodder.
When we had to chip our pets.... silence, when we had to chip our cattle..... silence
& you know how that goes....
And it's sure that action is prone to facilitate human traffic(ing) contrairy to the narratif its going to prevent that,
so lets go for the worse option, as usual.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 8:03 am

traven wrote:
Chips are idealy implanted for insurance-accountability, they'll be forwarded in that matter, or you'll have no rights.
Leading the way: UN-UNHCR, 12 million living in less or more permanent camps constitute experimental fodder.
When we had to chip our pets.... silence, when we had to chip our cattle..... silence
& you know how that goes....
And it's sure that action is prone to facilitate human traffic(ing) contrairy to the narratif its going to prevent that,
so lets go for the worse option, as usual.

Indeed. But, not because the U.S. government necessarily has evil intent. No, the grant provisions in the now-dead legislation were written in vague ways when it came to describing the desired tracking devices. Government and the technology worlds want efficiency and low-costs related to their products. Tracking necklaces, bracelets, anklets or RFID cards can all be lost, abandoned or destroyed intentionally. "Nope," they would argue, "for the safety of our most vulnerable citizens, we must have implanted tracking devices."

And, we would be off to the races. Is there another efficient, cheap and constitutional way to accomplish this idea? Not without abandoning our national core beliefs about privacy (not that such abandonments haven't been championed and cheered along before).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:18 am

The debate about Kevin and Avonte's law continues

Safety versus autonomy: advocates for autistic children split over tracking devices by Ari Neemam published by Vox
Ari Neeman founded and until December 31 is the President of the Autism Self Advocacy Network the leading Neurodiversity movement organization

117 Autistic Children and Adults Who Died Deserve Better Opponents of Kevin and Avonte's Law are complicit in future deaths. By Amy S.F. Lutz published by Psychology Today
Amy S.F. Lutz is the author of Each Day I Like It Better: Autism, ECT, and the Treatment of Our Most Impaired Children. She is the president and co-founder of EASI Foundation: Ending Aggression and Self-Injury in the Developmentally Disabled a non-profit that supports individuals with severe autism and their families.
ECT is an abbreviation for Electroconvulsive (shock) therapy a treatment that is the subject of a recent wrong planet thread

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:48 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The debate about Kevin and Avonte's law continues

Safety versus autonomy: advocates for autistic children split over tracking devices by Ari Neemam published by Vox
Ari Neeman founded and until December 31 is the President of the Autism Self Advocacy Network the leading Neurodiversity movement organization

117 Autistic Children and Adults Who Died Deserve Better Opponents of Kevin and Avonte's Law are complicit in future deaths. By Amy S.F. Lutz published by Psychology Today
Amy S.F. Lutz is the author of Each Day I Like It Better: Autism, ECT, and the Treatment of Our Most Impaired Children. She is the president and co-founder of EASI Foundation: Ending Aggression and Self-Injury in the Developmentally Disabled a non-profit that supports individuals with severe autism and their families.
ECT is an abbreviation for Electroconvulsive (shock) therapy a treatment that is the subject of a recent wrong planet thread

Ari Ne'eman was right to oppose the bill in its current form. Once it would have become law, the open door for aversives would have been given a green light nationwide regardless of the "severity" of an individual's autism. Try shutting the barn door after that provision's birth.

Lutz, on the other hand, comes to us from a different perspective in which she and her husband agreed to offer up their then 10-year-old autistic son, Jonah, for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). Jonah is now 17 years of age. As a libertarian (note the small "L"), I believe that people may make their own choices; and, I remember listening to former talk show host and actor Dick Cavett about his lauding of ECT. But, there is a difference between a celebrity choosing to undergo ECT and a 10-year-old boy doing so without consideration of his own desires.

One thing I have learned about autists is that we come in all sizes, shapes and ... needs. One size doesn't fit most of us. We need specific attention to our specific needs. If ECT worked for Cavett and Lutz, great. But, they should speak for themselves, not for all autists everywhere.