Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 4:40 pm

I remember there being a topic like this before, but yeah, I've seen some pretty creepy or scary stuff in games that weren't even horror-themed, and were often otherwise lighthearted or comical.

Gygas from Earthbound, although I don't really believe that "fetus" theory.

The Shadow Queen from Paper Mario: TTYD. Especially when she starts to bring the world to an end and you actually select "become her servant".

Many people think the Game Over to Banjo and Kazooie is creepy where Grunthilda becomes beautiful and Tooty becomes ugly, but I think it's actually kind of funny. :)

In the earlier Sims games, really scary music would play when a burglar was coming to rob your house, or you got a warning from your boss about skipping work, or when you got fired.

The boss music and game over music to the western version of Sonic CD. Man! 8O

In the intro to the Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town, whacking Mayor Thomas over the head with your hammer after he says to stop or siccing your dog on him would bring you right back to the title screen. Although they don't show anything, it's implied that you or your dog actually killed him, or at least injured him badly enough to get you arrested. He was being a huge jerk, laughing at you for falling for his ad for the farm in the paper and all, but still!

Speaking of which, buying some gold lumber and then displaying it on your farm will make the characters really mad at you for a show-off or whatever, when they're really just jealous because you're rich. They'll come to your farm over the next few days to yell at you, and your character is all like "WTH", And then they'll even call you "Greedy Witch" instead of your real name later, even if they act nice and friendly like they normally do. Only your spouse won't insult you, and the only way to make them stop is to get rid of the gold lumber.

Super Mario Sunshine - I really don't like to talk about this part of the game, but... Mama Peach? MAMA PEACH?!? Also Peach asks Bowser Junior "I'm your mama?" as if she thinks she might be, and it made her sound like the biggest dumb blonde ever which made me very sad, or that maybe Bowser had somehow impregnated her and she doesn't remember anything, which made me very creeped out, and Mario is listening to all this looking like his jaw is about to hit the ground. Fortunately, Junior himself knew at the end Peach wasn't really his mother. How could a human be the biological mother of a turtle-dragon-kappa-thing, anyway? 8O

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 6:48 pm

Fire Emblem 4 as a whole is a subtly and not so subtly disturbing game.

In Fire Emblem Awakening, there's Grima in all his finery.

In Fates, there's the decomposing Garon and the possessed Takumi at the end of Conquest, and in Revelation, Anankos. *shudder*

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2017, 9:08 pm

Space Engine is existentially terrifying since every star, planet, etc. is life sized and the universe itself is 1/12th the size of the real deal. Black holes are the scariest thing in the game obviously.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

Fatal Frame is 10% scary graphics, 90% scary music.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2017, 9:30 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
How could a human be the biological mother of a turtle-dragon-kappa-thing, anyway? 8O

Maybe a Magikoopa helped out? :lol:

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 11:15 am

That moment when you're playing on Classic mode in Fire Emblem, and an enemy unit initiates combat against one of your characters with a 20 or 30% critical hit rate. *shudder* Or when an enemy archer sneak attacks your pegasus knights or wyvern riders.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 9:14 pm

One evening I was watching my brother and his friends playing Bionic Commando on the NES, and the image of Hitler's head graphically exploding freaked me out so badly I was afraid to go to sleep that night. It's strange that they allowed that in an NES game of all things, but they censored all the Nazi propaganda, which I didn't find out about until years later, which has made be even more both creeped out and fascinated by this game.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 1:18 pm

Hiding in the garage in Clock Tower from the Scissorman.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent during the parts in the water-filled basement would be a more modern scare for me. And the first time in Alien: Isolation when the Xenomorph pulls you out of your hiding place where you thought you were safe.

Blindwolf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jun 2017, 11:16 pm

Video games will still freak me out. But movies cannot scare me.

I think the most prolific nightmare fuel for me as a kid were the Mario ghosts in Mario 64. And the drowning. Gosh, the drowning... Timers of any sort were always upsetting, and I didn't like playing games where I/the character was 'alone'.

Dang ghosts, u scary! I didn't like them or their world you went into.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 6:20 pm

When I played Morrowind and I was in the middle of the ocean. It was crazy and creepy!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 4:17 pm

The monsters at the end, in the first Nathan Drake game. And the ones in the woods in The Blair Witch.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:12 pm

Deathclaws in Fallout: New Vegas. The scariest part is that they can see further than the player, so you'll suddenly see a giant monster running at you from out of nowhere.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:46 pm

I think probably Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. A lot of copycat games came out afterwards (like the Amnesia series).
Some of the ghost/zombie bits from Thief (Gold?).
System Shock 2 with the midwives and those robot butlers.
Uninvited and Shadowgate used to scare me a lot when I was a kid. Some parts still do kind of get to me.
Metroid 2 when you know there's a Metroid nearby, but you don't know where.
Phantasmagoria, I had to turn on the violence filter halfway through. I'll try to leave it off next time I play.

Wolf3D, DOOM, and Half-Life had some scary bits, but they were more like jump scares. Always startling to think you're in a safe spot, not realizing there's a quiet monster right behind you.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:43 am

Bad Dream Coma.

You start on a bridge and there's crows everywhere. You're given the option to punch them. Progress the level as normal and you get to the end and you encounter this thing.

Sorry the image is too small. The links wouldn't work previously. I don't know the size limitations or anything.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 4:20 pm

Irulan wrote:
The monsters at the end, in the first Nathan Drake game. And the ones in the woods in The Blair Witch.

Ah, and The Shambler in "Call of Cthulhu". 8O How could I forget this dark entity?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 3:55 pm

All the moments when Joel/Ellie has to fight the infected in "The Last of Us". And - in the "Left Behind" DLC there is that scene when Ellie has to crawl above the water electrified by a broken cable. When she falls into the water (which did happen to me once when I was playing this), she gets electrified to death, which is very, very unpleasant to watch - even more than the scenes when she or Joel get killed by the infected.