Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 1:24 pm

I wanted to post it this in the social skills/making friends section but it takes ages for me to get replies on that part of wrong planet.

Do you agree with my theory that some people have a 'nerdy looking' face that even a cool hairstyle/smart clothing can't really seem to fix? By fix I mean those improvements can't get rid of there nerdy ambience. I think for example a really big nose makes you look like a nerd.

I wouldn't rule out either that maybe your personality plays a major role in your nerd vibe.

Sonikku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2016, 1:30 pm

After being on this earth 41 years, I couldn't care less about the nerd/geek/whatever look.

After all, its the new cool

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm

I cannot say there are any facial features I associate specifically with nerds...seems a little far fetched. I'd think it would more have to do with personality and interests

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 6:34 pm

I think it's more to do with certain clothing cues, eg. glasses, pocket protectors, braces, those that give off the stereotypical "nerd" vibe. I don't think there's a "nerd" facial appearance.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

monkees4va
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2016, 6:05 pm

I agree with the previous posters, it's not like one is genetically disposed ro be a nerd just because of the way they look. Met buff nerds and skinny nerds, it's the personality that makes them a nerd.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 4:55 am

I worry about looking nerdy, as nerdy people often look "weak", or "special needs", and I don't want to look either. I have below average eyesight, and wearing glasses would change that, but I am afraid of looking nerdy. I just about don't look nerdy, but I know that if I wore glasses I will look very plain. I struggle at maintaining a nice hairstyle and I don't wear make-up, so I will probably look like a stereotypical Aspie or a computer nerd, and I do not want to look like either.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 5:50 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I cannot say there are any facial features I associate specifically with nerds...seems a little far fetched. I'd think it would more have to do with personality and interests

I second this. I do have to admit, though, that I still fall guilty of associating glasses with nerdiness despite knowing it's a stereotype and therefore not necessarily true...

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 10:41 am

I think there are faces that make people look a little "off" (like, I've seen threads, on here, asking if anyone has the "ASD look")----but, none that make people look like nerds.

I agree with the other posters, in that it's more about "accessories", IMO (clothes, pocket protectors, and glasses)----also, personality and interests.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 11:50 am

Joe90 wrote:
I worry about looking nerdy, as nerdy people often look "weak", or "special needs", and I don't want to look either. I have below average eyesight, and wearing glasses would change that, but I am afraid of looking nerdy. I just about don't look nerdy, but I know that if I wore glasses I will look very plain. I struggle at maintaining a nice hairstyle and I don't wear make-up, so I will probably look like a stereotypical Aspie or a computer nerd, and I do not want to look like either.

Then wear contact lenses