Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2016, 1:29 pm

I know that this is probably the millionth time that this subject has been posted, however I really need to vent about this. I have been struggling to find work at the moment. I previously was a sales person at a small boutique and quit about a month ago due to a toxic work environment (due to district manager and corporate office,) and the fact that I was coming home completely exhausted because of having to fake being an extroverted neurotypical all day. I have been sitting at my computer every day for several hours every day and applying for a ton of clerical and warehouse positions, I have been called for several interviews but those I have spoken to are not willing to work with my schedule because I need two week days off for the coming school semester. Currently only looking for something which is part time and I cant to traditional retail or sales. I am frustrated to the point of meltdowns with the current job market, stupid personality quizzes which force me to lie, and incompetent admin people who don't add necessary details into job advertisements. I am so angry that I am trying to hard, not getting hired and not able to pay my half of rent and utilities.
Anyone else in a similar situation?
Also worried about disclosing my condition to future employers because I don't want to be seen as less competent because (i am not trying to be boastful) I am an excellent employee and when I focus on my job I know I can go above and beyond.
Okay rant over, thanks for listening :D

hmds2007
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2016, 3:04 pm

I never had a job in my life. I never attended a single class in college. As a kid I was forced to go to school by my parents and I felt suffocated in the classroom.

As an adult, I made a choice to not have a job. I work online. I started off as a freelancer and later started building online businesses. It pays well. I pay more taxes than what my parents, neighbors or batchmates earn in an entire year. I probably make 5-10 times more than they do. But they still think, I am a loser who stays at home without a job. Doesn't bother me!

Word of advice.. Start working online as a freelancer and later start a business once you have the skills.. There are plenty of gigs available on Upwork.com

Biggest upside? No need to interact with NT's on a daily basis. :P

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2016, 9:30 pm

r.steiner4 wrote:
I know that this is probably the millionth time that this subject has been posted, however I really need to vent about this. I have been struggling to find work at the moment. I previously was a sales person at a small boutique and quit about a month ago due to a toxic work environment (due to district manager and corporate office,) and the fact that I was coming home completely exhausted because of having to fake being an extroverted neurotypical all day. I have been sitting at my computer every day for several hours every day and applying for a ton of clerical and warehouse positions, I have been called for several interviews but those I have spoken to are not willing to work with my schedule because I need two week days off for the coming school semester. Currently only looking for something which is part time and I cant to traditional retail or sales. I am frustrated to the point of meltdowns with the current job market, stupid personality quizzes which force me to lie, and incompetent admin people who don't add necessary details into job advertisements. I am so angry that I am trying to hard, not getting hired and not able to pay my half of rent and utilities.
Anyone else in a similar situation?
Also worried about disclosing my condition to future employers because I don't want to be seen as less competent because (i am not trying to be boastful) I am an excellent employee and when I focus on my job I know I can go above and beyond.
Okay rant over, thanks for listening :D

I'd highly recommend signing up for vocational rehabilitation in your state and trying to get preference for state jobs.

In my case I was able to choose a high paying job that manages well with my disability

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm

Update on this issue, I have an interview tomorrow that I feel like I'm going to ace! Its for a florists position in a grocery store and although it will require customer service it will be minimal. I have found some stuff online for how to interview as an aspie and I think it will really help. I find starting somewhere that is a lower wage than I might hope for and working my way up to a better wage is the most realistic route for my lack of experience. Just wanted to update this piece and for those who are still looking for work, best of luck!