Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

downeaster59 wrote:

Hi, Jo,

Thanks for your response. Yes, Carlo Carretto is very good. Let me offer you a few suggestions (just in case you haven't read them); In The Heart of the Desert by John Chryssavgis; Poustinia by Catherine Doherty; Desert Christians by William Harmless; Thoughts Matter by Mary Margaret Funk. Each comes at desert spirituality from a different angle, so you might like some more than others. But most people who read them find each one helpful. (Besides, what's an Aspie without a book queue?)

If you are interested, here's my blog: http://www.theanchorite.net. I generally offer reflections based on the scripture readings of a given day in the Catholic calendar, trying to write in language that any interested person can follow (not too "churchy", in other words). At the same time, I try to express the core of what our doctrines are all about. I come out of a Roman Catholic perspective, but people from other faith traditions might be comfortable with a number of my posts. There's a page where I give a brief bio, and a "contact me" page where people can send me comments if they wish.

This blog is still fairly new. I have a number of things I plan to write about over the coming weeks and months.

I regard each of my posts as a "beta" (to use app language). One more attempt to express the inexpressible.

Thanks very much indeed - for the book recommendations and the link to your blog. I will look into reading from both sources!! ! I laughed when I read what you said about having a book queue - I have one too - always! Thanks again and God bless you.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 8:27 pm

Are there any aspie Thelemites? I've done a little bit of reading on Alister Crowley's philosophies and I find them to be quite interesting, though a lot of the really esoteric stuff is hard to understand. LaVeyan Satanism (NOT to be confused with theistic satanism i.e. actually worshipping Satan) and Buddhism intrigue me too, and so do chaos magick and Wicca to a smaller extent.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 9:03 pm

I was born and raised Russian Orthodox. I lived for a few years in a monastery in my early twenties. Once I realized I pretty much believed nothing like the church or the people around me, I left. Though the silence and simple life style was enjoyable. These days I consider myself an Apatheist.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2016, 8:06 am

I wrote about this in my book, in a chapter titled "An Uncommon Perspective on Religion." In my case, I was raised Roman Catholic, converted in a Pentecostal church and got my BA in Bible & Theology from a Pentecostal Christian liberal arts college. I eventually got disillusioned with what I saw as hype and fakery, and made my way into mainstream, "megachurch" evangelicalism for well over a decade. Over time, I gradually found myself drawn to classical Reformed (aka "Calvinistic") theology. Today I belong to a Presbyterian (PCA) church, although I'd be equally at home in a Reformed Baptist environment.

My pursuit of religion has always been primarily a pursuit of doctrinal truth, although in my Pentecostal days there was a strong experiential element, too. Today I place little stock in experience. I remember The Onion writing a satirical piece about a minister who was "religious, not spiritual." That might, at least on some level, be true for me. I can say that I am most definitely not a fan of mysticism, which - as far as I can tell - ultimately obviates all theological distinctions.

My Official Facebook Page