Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2016, 11:38 am

Hello all. I'm very specific with my routines in almost everything I do in life. I understand that, in time, I will have to obviously adjust this to people (which I don't) and other situations.
So when I go to college, we do different practical things each week and this really becomes stressful to me. My teachers are recognising this now, finally, and one suggested he made a checklist/timetable for me, which i would really benefit from. However, I really don't think he's gonna do it, just for me. People keep trying to force away my routine because one day it will "change" but does it have to change?!
Anyway, my main point in writing this is: if you are diagnosed on the spectrum, does your work allow fixed routines for you because of it? or do they just expect you to react like everyone else?

Thank you

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2016, 12:34 pm

I've found that life doesn't seem to like fixed routines, which sucks in my opinion. When things are going according to my schedule, I am in the best mood. I've even been called too happy in some cases.

The hard thing for me is is recognizing which battles to fight. If I go off my schedule, it's gonna suck and I have to accept that it's gonna suck. The sooner I can accept it, the more I can focus on what needs to be done. The longer I focus on how bad this is, the longer it's going to take for me to get with the program and just get it over with. I know this isn't as easy as it sounds, but it's what I push for in most cases.

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2016, 1:14 am

I think I am either rigidly set in a routine or completely disorganized. I am curious as to whether or not my routines have been more of a help than a hindrance, they allow me to do things proficiently as well as making me remember basics like eating and getting enough sleep. I will say that having me routine broken makes me extremely irritable. There have been moments when I have almost lost my temper at people for criticizing or attempting to break my routine, I try not to snap at people for it though. I know they don't understand the importance of it or why it bothers me so much.
I have noticed bad habits like my smoking cigarettes have also become part of my routine.