2017 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 8:57 am

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees announced

Quote:
This year's inductees are Joan Baez, Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur and Yes.

Nile Rodgers will also be honored with an award for musical excellence.

Pleasently surprised ELO got in. They have been unfairly slagged off as poor Beatles imitators most of there career. Not surprised but not happy that the very popular Journey who added nothing new to hard rock got in.

Is there an anti synth backlash this year? How does Kraftwork the founders of all EDM not get in?. Depeche Mode not getting in is a crime. They were a major influence on New Wave, EDM, House, and Alternative Rock and are still going strong.

I am somewhat unpleasently surprised that The Cars who were the first New Wave act to break through on ossified rock radio of the times did not get in.

I have no problem with the other inductees and Nile Rodgers special award.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 9:55 am

I don't like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; I think it's an entirely meaningless achievement to get in, and clearly it's less of an indicator of actual artistry and quality than it is just a popularity contest.

That being said, though, I'm still happy to see Yes get inducted, simply because any publicity is good publicity and the Hall has had a long, long history of shunning progressive rock bands. Provided, like Genesis, I'm sure part of their Hall nomination is due to their major pop hits. Call me when King Crimson or Emerson, Lake & Palmer get a nomination.

And yes, Kraftwerk and The Cars are definitely worthy of an induction, as well.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 10:15 am

Tupac???

Rock and Roll is not Tupac, I can't name any of his tracks from before his death, and I question if the ones released after are 100% his or just a money making exercise.

Glad Pearl Jam are in, they are Rock Gods.

Depeche Mode should be in, they made ground breaking music and continued to produce relevant music.

Who next? Vanilla Ice?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 11:57 am

Joan Baez isn't "rock and roll" either, but somehow she'll receive less complaints about her inclusion than Tupac. Funny how that works.

I wholly supported the inclusion of the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and especially Run DMC into the HoF because they at least had elements of rock in their sound; Tupac did not, which makes his nomination dubious, but far from the worst decision the Hall has made. Besides, if there's any solo rapper worthy of induction, of course it would be Tupac, one of the best-selling and most influential voices of modern hip-hop. Even grandmothers in Iowa would recognize his name. He's not my own cup of tea when it comes to hip-hop, but I would just be ignorant if I were to deny his status in popular culture.

See, I have far less of a problem with Tupac being in the Hall than I do with, say, Madonna, or pure pop bands like ABBA, or reggae musicians like Jimmy Cliff, or disco singers like Donna Summer (disco is truly the antithesis of rock and roll). And, as mentioned, Joan Baez is as much of a "rocker" as fellow inductee James Taylor. The Hall has a lengthy history of inducting decidedly and objectively non-rock and roll figures, so why the heck not open the doors to outside genres?

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 12:41 am

I really like Tupac's records Me Against The World and All Eyez On Me.

I love everything by PJ, eddie vedder has a voice that is actually criminally under-rated in the wider scheme of things, he could do some incredible things with it, he lost a lot of edge to it over the years.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2016, 12:53 am

Always thought the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was silly, but it is nice to see Pearl Jam got in, fantastic band. Eddie Vedder's a fantastic songwriter, though tbh I strongly prefer his folky stuff to his more hard rock songs.

Close to the Edge is a wonderful album, so Yes definitely need to be in there.

I'm kind of surprised Joan Baez hadn't been inducted before - she's one of the most important voices in the entire 60s folk scene.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 9:30 pm

I also think that the R&R HOF is a joke but it's nice to see one of my all time favourite bands (ELO) get their due.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 1:47 pm

It is a common misconception, especially among rock fans, that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should be exclusively for rock artists. I will reiterate what I said in the thread from a year ago on the topic of the 2016 inductees, which included NWA:

From the conception of the Hall of Fame onward, artists and groups have been inducted who weren't rock artists per se. Early inductees include Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, and Marvin Gaye. Later on, country and reggae artists have been added to the Hall. Finally, the induction of NWA as hip hop artists is not without precedent; they are joining rap colleagues Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five, Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, and Public Enemy. The Hall of Fame, in spite of its name, is not limited to rock and its subgenres, but is dedicated to the greats of all styles of popular music. Notable absentees so far are icons from electronic music.