Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2016, 7:40 pm

Hey everyone,

I might be new here, but I am certainly not new to forums and online communities such as these. In fact, I am an administrator on the Lord of the Rings Minecraft Mod Wiki, so... yeah, I know my way around these places pretty well.

As you might guess from the title, yes, I am indeed a Canadian -- the stereotypical, polite, one at that, who enjoys eating maple syrup on his pancakes and wears a toque from December to March. Well, most of the time anyways. Except that I am not a big hockey fan, thought I do enjoy Stompin Tom Connor's "Hockey Song".

Canuck cackle aside, I have worked as a researcher in the development of new generation lithium ion batteries for Tesla Canada. In fact, I still work there as of December 20, however, that time may come to an end when the new semester starts up at university and there's less free time available. We shall see... Tesla job or not, I am currently doing a double major in organic chemistry and biology, and work as a teaching assistant in the undergraduate labs. Aside from organic chemistry, other interests include, but are not limited to, sailing, hiking, Lord of the Rings, and more.

I know you guys are probably tired of listening to my random rambling and want me to get to the point of "Glf, why are you here? (The abbreviation is GLf, not GIf, by the way, though I've accepted some very unusual username abbreviations over the years)" Do you have Aspergers? The answer to the second question is yes and the answer to the first question might be somewhat obvious!

I'm out of time for now, so see y'all later.

EDIT: Alright, I shall add some more details as you might be interested. In terms of Aspergers I don't think that I am a very stereotypical case, in that I am not narrow-minded, and I have great creativity, and am much better at rationalisation than learning straight facts, unless they're about hurricanes or organic chemistry. While I can't say that I'm the best speaker or the easiest to make friends with, my students seem to think that I'm at least OK at explaining things in the organic laboratory, and history has shown that it is in fact possible for me to make friends -- just not in usual ways. But that is a story for another time.

The one other thing that you might want to know about me is that I have rather sketchy working memory and short-term memory. That's why I don't do random facts nearly as much as many of you here. In fact, it's quite likely that I have some sort of learning disability -- most likely dyslexia and dysgraphia, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Anyways, I'm really out of time now, so I will leave you with the story of how I got my username:

In any case, I guess I'd better start with how my username came into being. About six years ago, I wanted to create an account for an MMORTS named War of Legends. Back in those days, I wasn't nearly as old as I am now (well, none of us were), and my favourite LotR character was Legolas the Bowman of Mirkwood (it's Aragorn now, but that's a tale for another time). I tried Legolas, but that was of course taken. Next I tried LegolasGreenleaf, but that was a bit too long. LegolasGlf didn't work any better. I didn't want any numbers or funny characters in my username, so I next tried Glflegolas. That seemed to be fine, so I went with that. (My avatar that I use to this day comes from that game, btw).

About two years later (January 11, 2012) I joined the War of Legends Wiki. Since I was becoming a "good average" player (I still describe myself that way in every other game I play; my coordination simply isn't good enough for me to be a top player, and I don't want to put massive amounts of hours into that anyways), I decided to use the same username both in-game and on the wiki. Since that day my Wikia username has been Glflegolas. I use the same username in virtually every online community nowadays. It always seems to be available.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 11:05 pm

Hi, i'm new too. I'm only replying because no one else has and it made me saaaad :)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:01 pm

Hey Glflegolas welcome. :sunny:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Glflegolas
Velociraptor