Do you think I´m on the autism spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 6:41 pm

Hi guys.
I´d just like to see what you guys have to say about me. I´ve been starting to wonder for a while if I might have the diagnosis aspergers or mild autism. Please read.

The reason I started to wonder is that today I went to my physiologist, and I told her I felt different, and always have felt it. The one time I really noticed that I was different was in 8th grade when I was 13. When a girl in class asked my friends what was wrong with me. As I apparently seemed very weird to her, and I must admit I am pretty weird. I do not share the same interests as people my age. But I´d usually rather have my own space, do my own thing. It seems like my physiologist might think I do? She did not say anything about autism, but she asked me all these weird questions. Like if I´m clumsy(I am the most clumsy person in the whole world), if I´d rather go to a library than go to a party and so on.

I also have a very weird body language and can´t really control my arms or feet very well. She also asked about sarcasm and ironi, which I unfortunately don´t understand. A lot of my friends and family have told me I can learn it. Believe me, they have tried for years with no luck. Throughout my childhood it was always hard to understand what people think, when it´s my turn to speak and so fort. It´s still like that, I´m 18 for those who were wondering. I was very mature from a really young age, I would always feel like I´m so much more mature than my classmates and so fort.

In class at school(still as I´m at the last year before uni, 13th grade) people apparently tend to look strangely at me when I answer questions in class. I´m really bad at reading people, so I didn´t notice before my friends told me. My friends told me they don´t seem to like that I know a lot about subjects. A lot of my classmates + my teachers keep telling me to calm down, talk slower. Which I must admit pisses me off, as when I´m trying to provide information I tell it quickly. As my brain functions quickly.

The same thing will go on with math, the other students seem to be pissed off at me? I don´t know. Just because I know the answer before they do or such. I tried explaining it to them once, and they just laughed. As my methode is not the correct methode, or maybe it was too quick for them?

I take everything literally, and I need to have things explained completely before I´m able to understand what to do. This issue kept going on at my old school. Where i studied mechanics age 16 to 18. The teachers wouldn´t explain everything, and would tell us do this, but not in full detail! I´d either be extremely confused as of what to do. Or I´d feel like we got way too little information about this. As I was interested I asked for more, but he refused me and told me " u don´t need to know this before later". I tend to have these I don´t know what u would call it.. Frustrating and stressed moments, where I can´t do anything than rage, sit in confusion or such. What I´ll do in these moments is touch my hands really tight together, where I almost can´t control where my arms or legs are going. It´s extremely annoying, as just the smallest thing I don´t get to work gets me pissed off. That´s what I do nowadays.

When I was younger, I used to ruin things. If I didn´t get my way. I remember once I destroy the drawing book. I guess this could be considered having a meltdow? I´d go in this incredible rage and do weird things. I would often cry, not understand what happened afterwards and yea I don´t really know how to explain this. But it happened a lot, and I got bullied a lot at school.

If someone holds a hand by the side of my head or tries to speak to me I will often not see. Not simply cause I´m ignoring them, but because I´m either so concentrated in my thought or the thing I´m doing.

By the way I do live alone now, as I am able to take care of myself. And I have been doing that since i was 16, for now 2,5 years. So that is working out ok, as I am able to do things by myself which I also often prefer.

So my question is, is this just weird things that I do? Or is this related to autism at all? i don´t know. I just want to figure out myself as a person. As I´m tired of not knowing why I feel so different and like people don´t understand me. I even have problems understanding myself. I tend to feel like the name of this site says haha "Wrongplanet". :)..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 6:47 pm

How are you able to take care of yourself? Do you have a job?

Do you plan on going to University?

I hope you weren't thrown out of your home, or that you don't get along with your parents--or that you were abused.

There are not too many people who are able to leave their home and be independent at 16.

Obviously, no one here can diagnose you on the Spectrum--but you have certain indications that you might be on the Spectrum. You should, therefore, investigate this further, provided it doesn't cost too much.

There are a few Norwegians on this Site. One of them, named Froya, is a nice, funny lady.

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 6:55 pm

I get money from the state, like everyone does in Norway when they take an education. My father gives me money for food and such. I take care of myself like I always have been doing. Even though I might not support myself money vise right now.

However my parents were not the greatest parents. I had to learn how to take care of me and my brother at a young age. As they usually drank alcohol or went out of the house. Therefor I grew up extremely quickly. I also could not handle my mothers criticism anymore at home. She´d constantly mock my body language and the way I talk. So I could´nt stand her anymore and left the state. I live 9 hours away from my family by car.

I am aware that no one can diagnose me here, just thought I´d ask. The reason I´m asking is that my physiologist seemed to ask such things. She also wanted to get me tested for a lot of things, like this. I was just asking, in wonder if I should continue going to her or just forget about it.

University? I don´t know. I´ve been extremely worried about that. As my priorites are very bad. I only did it good this far because teachers help and tell you what u need to know and so fort. I think id be extremely hard for me to go, but I have to. The reason being I need someone to force me to learn things I am not interested in. If they were to just give me a book and say; read it. I´d probably never even start. Which is also why i never practise for tests.

Last edited by ImNat on 21 Dec 2016, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2016, 6:55 pm

What you describe could be symptoms of Aspergers/autism but no one besides a professional can diagnose you. If you think you need help in school, etc., because of your symptoms you should probably pursue a diagnosis. Perhaps you don't need a an official diagnosis given you function well enough to live alone. The main thing is to get insight into your abilities and difficulties in life so you can choose a career path and hopefully find contentment. I was diagnosed very late in life and think I would have made different choices if I knew what was wrong with me. I kept thinking I would grow out it or somehow be "cured" so I could be normal and fit in. Good luck.

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 6:59 pm

I did get a lot of help in school even though I didn´t have a reason to get it. Back at my old school that is, which really helped me a lot. Thank you for your comment.

I also don´t see the big deal of living alone. As I´d do the exact same thing at my parents house as I´d do living alone. I don´t pay the bills, and I don´t really need to worry about anything else than get food. This is because I´m lucky enough for my dad to take care of the other things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 7:03 pm

You are pretty lucky. And I'm glad for it.

It sounds like you really like your dad, but that your mom gets on your nerves.

Do you live in a "country" part of Norway? It must be beautiful there. Though I know it gets very cold, especially away from the coast (especially the west coast where Bergen is).

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2016, 7:03 pm

ImNat wrote:
The reason I´m asking is that my physiologist seemed to ask such things. She also wanted to get me tested for a lot of things, like this. I was just asking, in wonder if I should continue going to her or just forget about it.

I don't see a downside to pursuing it. If anything you will likely learn a lot about yourself which helps with coping strategies. Sorry about your difficult family life. I give thanks everyday for my parents and how they did everything for me.

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 7:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You are pretty lucky. And I'm glad for it.

It sounds like you really like your dad, but that your mom gets on your nerves.

Do you live in a "country" part of Norway? It must be beautiful there. Though I know it gets very cold, especially away from the coast (especially the west coast where Bergen is).

I don´t know about lucky, in a sense yes.

Somewhat correct, however my dad isn´t the best either, he made a lot of trouble at home during my childhood.

I´m from Bergen, thats where my family lives. I moved to south of Norway alone.

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm

Private Idaho wrote:
ImNat wrote:
The reason I´m asking is that my physiologist seemed to ask such things. She also wanted to get me tested for a lot of things, like this. I was just asking, in wonder if I should continue going to her or just forget about it.

I don't see a downside to pursuing it. If anything you will likely learn a lot about yourself which helps with coping strategies. Sorry about your difficult family life. I give thanks everyday for my parents and how they did everything for me.

Okay, thank you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 7:25 pm

You live in a nice climate, then. Sort of like England.

LOL...I wish I could have been able to live alone at 16. You can't do that in the United States.

I didn't get along with my mother at that time, nor with her boyfriend.

I kept in contact with my dad, even though my mother and him divorced.

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 7:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You live in a nice climate, then. Sort of like England.

LOL...I wish I could have been able to live alone at 16. You can't do that in the United States.

I didn't get along with my mother at that time, nor with her boyfriend.

I kept in contact with my dad, even though my mother and him divorced.

My parents got divorced in 2001, and I´m born in 1998. And my little brother is born in 1999. My mother is a cheating c**t, I hate her. I really really can´t stand her. I did´nt see her from age 16 to 18. It´s just recently that I´ve started seeing her again.

Due to highschool or videregående as we call it at age 16 starts (grade 11th) I had to move away anyway. Due to the education I wanted to take was not available in Bergen. A lot of people hav to move then. It didn´t make that much difference from me either way, I kept to myself as usuall, and made a few friends.

Yeah my stephmother drinks all night, and my father and her have fights all the time. always been like that, my dad ended up in the hospital once with the police all over our house. So I get why u probably don´t like ur mums boyfriend.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

I'm surprised what you wanted is not available in Bergen, which is a big city. Is Bergen a very conservative sort of place?

What do you feel you want to do when you finally finish school?

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 8:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm surprised what you wanted is not available in Bergen, which is a big city. Is Bergen a very conservative sort of place?

What do you feel you want to do when you finally finish school?

Everyone seems to dislike me from school, and I didn´t want to start a new school with such a start either. The school they had across the country was better for the education I took. Which was Ship engineering. They have a schoolship for this more south, which they don´t have anymore in Bergen.

I really wanted to become a ship engineer, but I did not get a placement within this subject. I have no clue what I´d like to do now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

Perhaps join the Norwegian Navy?

ImNat
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2016, 8:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Perhaps join the Norwegian Navy?

If I do get diagnosed with something I am not welcome there. But I will try.