Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

I've always thought about this and never really understood the point of growing up, aging, death, and change. I can't speak for anyone else but when I was a little kid, my life was great. I didn't have any worries or responsibilities and I enjoyed watching cartoons and playing with toys. My grandparents who have since passed would always babysit me and take me to do fun things. My childhood was great. As I started getting older, I used to not want to celebrate my birthdays. I always hated the thought of growing up and getting older because I enjoyed my life the way it was and I never wanted anything to change. When I was a kid, I always thought that I would be that young forever and that I would always have my parents and grandparents. I still don't enjoy getting older because I don't like change and I don't want my body to continue to age. I wouldn't want to live forever, but I just don't like the thought of one day being an old man and having everything being completely different than what I have known.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 11:47 am

MSBKyle wrote:
I've always thought about this and never really understood the point of growing up, aging, death, and change. I can't speak for anyone else but when I was a little kid, my life was great. I didn't have any worries or responsibilities and I enjoyed watching cartoons and playing with toys. My grandparents who have since passed would always babysit me and take me to do fun things. My childhood was great. As I started getting older, I used to not want to celebrate my birthdays. I always hated the thought of growing up and getting older because I enjoyed my life the way it was and I never wanted anything to change. When I was a kid, I always thought that I would be that young forever and that I would always have my parents and grandparents. I still don't enjoy getting older because I don't like change and I don't want my body to continue to age. I wouldn't want to live forever, but I just don't like the thought of one day being an old man and having everything being completely different than what I have known.

[bWhy Do We Have To Grow Up And Get Old?][/b]

Simple: We have to clean off the showroom floor to make room for the new models coming in. It's just the way this type of business works. I'm sure you can see that.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to live forever, but I just don't like the thought of one day being an old man and having everything being completely different than what I have known.

If you grow old long enough to be an "old man" some day you'll be happier if you stay current with the world and interface and learn as you age. That way you won't wake up some day and find yourself alone. Get involved with others. :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 1:33 pm

The only way I'd be twenty again is if I could take my fifity-two year old brain with me.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 1:41 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The only way I'd be twenty again is if I could take my fifity-two year old brain with me.

QFT though I would rather have my younger brains ability to retain information like a sponge.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 4:36 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Amen, to THAT, sister!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

In regard to the OP: Well, there's sorta TWO kinds of growing-up----one's MIND growing-up, and one's BODY "growing-up".

In regard to one's mind: there's sorta, IMO, no such thing as a grown-up----cuz, look-it..... When something is "grown-up", there's nowhere else to go, but to begin to die----but, as long as we keep LEARNING, we keep growing, and thus, never "grow-up"! !

In regard to one's BODY being "grown-up"----well..... Mine's already begun to decay!! LOL

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 5:28 pm

As we go through life, our cells divide over and over. Every time a cell divides, a little bit of DNA is lost, and DNA controls everything in our body.

They think that the lost DNA during cell division causes damage to our bodies' cells. Since our cells divide again and again as we get older, the damage accumulates. So that's why our bodies get frail and stuff when we're old.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 1:36 am

248RPA wrote:
As we go through life, our cells divide over and over. Every time a cell divides, a little bit of DNA is lost, and DNA controls everything in our body.

They think that the lost DNA during cell division causes damage to our bodies' cells. Since our cells divide again and again as we get older, the damage accumulates. So that's why our bodies get frail and stuff when we're old.

Now that is an aspie-autistic answer :D .

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 2:06 am

Because it would seem that life works that way, I don't know if there is an afterlife or what it entails...and I guess you cant really know until you die. This is not to say I am comfortable with the concept, even recently I have thought about it and i am quite uncomfortable with the idea you just vanish into nothing, but at the same time I don't see what else we'd become aside from that.

Perhaps spirits become energy, but at that point would you even remember what it is to be human? Lol I suppose this is why I usually keep these thoughts in my head, some people may be disturbed. Because I like to discuss weird things.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Dec 2016, 10:10 am

I could discuss weird things with you if you liked! 8)

Yup the brain of some elderly folk might decline but if there's a non physical body beyond in which thoughts can be housed, one's thoughts would be clear again I imagine since there would be no biological limitations.

I'd like to be 20 again but knowing all that I do now!

I also didn't really want to grow up and face the real world as the world of school had enough problems as it was and although I cried on the first day of school, I did so on the last day of school in my final year too, despite the difficulties I had with fitting in.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I might be the only person who thinks that's a recipe for utter misery. If you're not just as ignorant, impressionable, and up for really dumb things as the rest of your age group you get to enjoy pariahhood even more than you might have at twenty and socially conforming, even if not all that well, at least relatively better the first time.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 2:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
248RPA wrote:

Now that is an aspie-autistic answer :D .

That may be so, but it is also the truth about the "grow old" part of the question. It's all about the telomeres. The growing up part doesn't have an answer and isn't necessarily true.

http://biologywriter.com/on-science/art ... ingcancer/

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 11:17 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
Why Do We Have To Grow Up And Get Old?

You don't have to grow up, but a finite life is essential in order for life itself to adapt and improve. If you had to compete with your ancestors for resources your chances of continuing as a species would be severely impacted.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

The second law of thermodynamics at work. The cosmos is also growing old and dying. It will take a long time but it will happen. Eventually the cosmos will be at or near a uniform temperature and no more physical work will happen.

It will be a cold dark place.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 11:11 pm

There's no "point" to growing up. It's not something nature "decided" to inflict on us. Nature does not "decide" or "want" anything. It's just a result of evolution making things efficient. Once you've aged past childbearing age, your continued survival is irrelevant to the species as a whole. That's why most chronic diseases occur in old age, because the diseases that routinely killed the young became extinct with them. Aging is just a side effect of impersonal forces doing their thing. There's no point in getting mad at nature. It's not personal.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 11:29 pm

carturo222 wrote:
Once you've aged past childbearing age, your continued survival is irrelevant to the species as a whole. That's why most chronic diseases occur in old age, because the diseases that routinely killed the young became extinct with them. Aging is just a side effect of impersonal forces doing their thing. There's no point in getting mad at nature. It's not personal.

Actually, seeing reductive materialism out properly none of that's quite true either - it's just what's happened so far that incidentally carried the existence of the human race forward (otherwise we wouldn't be here today to discuss it) and, if we figure out ways to stabilize our genes, reverse or stop environmental damage, and find to keep our telemeres going well toward 1,000 years of age - there's nothing to stop that from happening either or to keep fertility going right up through that point as well. No teleology is no teleology and if purpose is something that we have to invent or make up for ourselves that pretty much covers all aspects of life including whether or not to procreate.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin